Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Dag,

Have you decided for certain on the rear motor position? I can't wait to see the full, framed plane sitting on the stands! Oh yeah, did you ever take thrust measurements?

Jack
Hey Jack,
Well the thrust measuring thing I made did not work, will try something different soon. After spending a bunch of late nights looking at what the H-stab, and V-stab will weigh I think I may just go ahead and mount my big bad boy Hackers at the rear of the nacelles. They just run so smooth with just a prop on them. I do have one last test were I am setting up a nacelle with the actual support strut that the finished airframe might have and run one more full power test. I will video when I do it.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:04 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,651 Posts
dag -

A comforting thing I see in the way you are going about this is that you will have some flexibility should changes become necessary down the road.

I guess shaft drive systems have gritty bugs to work out - in my mind that much prop hanging on the end of a 1/2" aluminum shaft would seem to be vulnerable to gyroscopic procession if any whipping is present just inboard of the ouput bearing. I'm not an engineer, it's just a seat-of -the-pants kind of thing.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Jan 16, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82
dag -

A comforting thing I see in the way you are going about this is that you will have some flexibility should changes become necessary down the road.

I guess shaft drive systems have gritty bugs to work out - in my mind that much prop hanging on the end of a 1/2" aluminum shaft would seem to be vulnerable to gyroscopic procession if any whipping is present just inboard of the ouput bearing. I'm not an engineer, it's just a seat-of -the-pants kind of thing.
I think I have the shafting figured out, but like I said "think". I am not 110% sure it would work in the long run .

It is not the 1/2" tube that has caused me the problems, it is my machining just is not up to it.

Oh well, she will fly, just about 8 pounds more than I planned for, but she will still have a wing loading under 35.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
She is looking more like a plane, nope, a B-36D Peacemaker.

DAG
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Hi Dag...

As I have said before, the plane is amazing and so are your building skills!! I take it you have a large field/runway to take off from??

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 16, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:28 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
She is looking more like a plane, nope, a B-36D Peacemaker.

DAG
Sure is Dag !!

She's looking fantastic !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
What a shame to cover all that beautiful framework up!!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:33 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Hello Dag214
I ran into this thread a short time ago while browsing the forums.
You are building a beaufiful Aircraft , I do not have the Skill to bulid or Fly such a machine , you are with out doute a master builder, I wiil be waiting to see the finnished product.
I have one question , you may very well have covered it in the thread & I have not read every post on every page so please forgive me if it's been covered. The Title of the thread says" 6 a turning and 4 a burning " Are you going to have EDF motors on the wing tips ?
Thank you and once again it is one beautiful plane.
Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
But what about making this a control stunt .

DAG
Well, you could. You could. I used to have a big stunter with a .60 SuperTigre that pulled really hard. Do you think this model would pull more than that? You've got the engineering skills, so you would know better than me.
OCFlyer1960 is offline Find More Posts by OCFlyer1960
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:19 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,357 Posts
Nice Dag..I see a bunch of sanding in your future!!!!..O yea the box is on its way!
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayers1
Hello Dag214
I ran into this thread a short time ago while browsing the forums.
You are building a beaufiful Aircraft , I do not have the Skill to bulid or Fly such a machine , you are with out doute a master builder, I wiil be waiting to see the finnished product.
I have one question , you may very well have covered it in the thread & I have not read every post on every page so please forgive me if it's been covered. The Title of the thread says" 6 a turning and 4 a burning " Are you going to have EDF motors on the wing tips ?
Thank you and once again it is one beautiful plane.
Jerry
Thanks for the great comments, not sure about the master builder thing.
I am going to make the jet nacelles so they can hold a EDF's, but at this moment I am over budget, to have 2 more ESC, 2 more motors, 2 more flight packs, and 2 more fan units is just not going to happen.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:32 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Nice Dag..I see a bunch of sanding in your future!!!!..O yea the box is on its way!
Scott
Yea,
That sanding thing is something I am not looking forward to. But she will look cool.
Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:32 AM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
i work in the robotics division at 'subaru and I live just up the road from you. I spend quite a bit of time in the machine shop. it is very well equipped. if you ever need any precise machine work done, just shoot me some drawings, I have some very skilled guys working for me that would be more than "happy" to do that for me.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
This thing SHOULD make it to SEFF RIGHT???
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:35 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines
This thing SHOULD make it to SEFF RIGHT???
Don't worry Chris, I've already planted the seed and started working him over ;-)

Besides, who else could appreciate it more than the SEFF e-fliers? You sure won't hear "yeah, that thing is nice but you should have 6 x 50cc gassers hanging off her..."

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter