HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on what I have learn taking on this project.

At first I went to a motor guy who just about blew me off, and in one of his e-mail put me down, I still think he thought that this was just a pipe dream project that would never get into the air. This is a US company and I got nothing from them. With Hacker they have supported me 110%, if anything went wrong I know they would be fair to me. Just like Hobbytown USA here in Indy, Airland Hobbies out west, and Jim Spice with Coptercptn sales have all been great people. These people know customer service. The reason I am going to be using Thunder Power is the same reason, they are here in the USA and they have zero problem listening to me and supporting me. I have no idea if Zippy are great or just ok, But when I look at my investment I want to make sure I have someone to call that will pick up a phone and talk with me.

I have learned so much about electrics this last 4 months that it is un-real, but the great people and manufactures I have gotten to know has been a blast.

I will also show some pics later tonight of my out-board left wing framed up.

Thanks all,
DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
the Extreme V2's have a pretty bad rap for cycle life, so i would avoid those if going with TP.
Hmmmm...I don`t know where you are getting that, but I use the V2s, and am having great luck with the 20 or so that I have. I also fly with many people that fly with them and are having no problems. The only reason I am looking into other batteries right now, is due to the cost of the V2s, as I have to buy 4-6 4S 5000 mah packs. If not for the price, I would buy the TPs in a heartbeat.

Remember, all it take is ONE person to start bad mouthing a product, and all of a sudden they are no good....
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
I think TP is a great choice. You can't go wrong with good service, especially on a project thats as big as this. Any little bit helps and having a reliable product is key! I guess that settles that debate
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,169 Posts
"Out of curiosity do you have any packs with 100 or more cycles, 50 or more?"

I have 4 3S-4100 15C batteries from Hobby City with more than a 100 cycles. I exceed 15C and they are all still strong.

ThunderPower, FlightPower, and Hyperion all sell great batteries but lately I have been having a hard time justifying 3 times the cost. For the price I expect absolutely no customer service from Hobby City other than processing and sending me my order.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer
"Out of curiosity do you have any packs with 100 or more cycles, 50 or more?"
Yes....

I have three TP 4S 3300mah packs that I use in my Great Planes Electrostick, with and Axi 2826-10 and a 12-6 APC prop. This is my favorite little "throw in the car, and fly" sport plane, which I thrash day after day. I fly off of deep grass, and when I punch the throttle from a standing start, the plane goes about 20 feet, and then vertical as far as I want to go (out of site if I wanted to) and it does it quite quickly. This plane has at least 200 flights or more on it, and at first, I only had two packs for it. I added another pack after about a month of flying it, because I enjoy it so much.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:38 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
More great news,
Glennis is now the manufacturer of my Wheels and brakes.
DAG
OH YA BABY:
They make some pretty nice stuff. Way out of my league but still nice to drool over.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:55 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Here is the left outboard wing framed up. I should have all the Shear webbing in by Saturday, then I can set it up with the rest of the wing sections.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:23 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Very nice Dag, It will be cool seeing it all together when you get the tail plane built too.

Man !! It is huge !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:30 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
When building elevated like that, how do you make sure there is no twisting going on? I would assume the risers being used to hold every few ribs up takes care of this? Also, how do you make sure everything is on the same level in the z-axis?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
Wow. Every time I visit this thread, this plane amazes me. I can't wait to see it when it's done! Keep up the good work
tbdahl is offline Find More Posts by tbdahl
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:18 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
When building elevated like that, how do you make sure there is no twisting going on? I would assume the risers being used to hold every few ribs up takes care of this? Also, how do you make sure everything is on the same level in the z-axis?
The first thing I do is make sure my table that I am working off of is perfectly level. Then with the building tabs on every other rib I know she will be straight for shear webbing. Once the webbing is on I know my spars won't sag. Then when I put all 3 wing sections together on my big wing bench I will have small jack-screws that captures the ribs and I can adjust all section to make sure the wing is perfect right before I lock her in when skinning. Sounds like a bunch of work and it is, but on a plane this big it has been the only way I know for sure she is warp free.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:22 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
And thanks all for all the great comments and support. If I get the left out-board wing webbed this weekend I can start the H-stab, the H-stab buy her self is IMAA legal at 80".

DAG
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:33 AM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,600 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aftica; Apr 23, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
More great news,
Glennis is now the manufacturer of my Wheels and brakes. I sent just one e-mail and got a response the same day, and a solution to my needs the next day, I am so pumped up that I am going to have some cool wheels and brakes.

Here is a budget update, as some of you know I started this project years ago in the design portion, that was around a bunch of G-24's, then went to G-26's, then to 4 each 4-strokes that were to be belt driven on a shaft ( that would be 24 cylinders). Back then I had a budget of 4k, then it went to 5k, then it became 8k a year ago, not it looks to be about 12k. Hope she flies .

DAG
He built some custom parts for me last year. Excellent work. $12K is a lot of money for your hobby. We're jealous.
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Last edited by Rickn816; Jan 15, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Ok,
Need some help.

What is the stuff called that they make circuit boards out of? I have used it in the past for parts like elevator hinges. The composite place I got it from in the past is gone, or my website link is dead.

Thanks, DAG