Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:35 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
then I will have motors running at all kinds of different rpm's. Thanks, DAG
I wouldn't be too concerned about this.
Ed Moorman wrote about this in his column "Fun Aerobatics" in RCReport magazine a few months ago when he was in his twin kick.
He set out to attempt just how important having both engines run the same RPM in a twin. What he ended up doing; was installing 2 glow engines. They were different brands; and sizes. He ran different props on the engines just to have the two power systems as un-matched as possible.
And apparently it flew just fine.
From his experiment I would think that minor differences in prop RPM would not be that bad. In the full size airplanes syncing prop RPM is mostly for passenger comfort. So as long as they are close it should be OK
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
If going with TP, i would definately suggest the pro lites. they are legendary and have been the top of the line for weight and durability over the years. Not that you are going to need a lot of power, but the Extreme V2's have a pretty bad rap for cycle life, so i would avoid those if going with TP.

Why not look into some of the newer technology lipos that can charge faster, aka more flights in one day. IM not talking about A123, as those aren't as energy dense and are heavy. But steve neu has some 5C charge batteries that are pretty resonable compared to other brands. Just something to consider...
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:06 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
If going with TP, i would definately suggest the pro lites. they are legendary and have been the top of the line for weight and durability over the years. Not that you are going to need a lot of power, but the Extreme V2's have a pretty bad rap for cycle life, so i would avoid those if going with TP.

Why not look into some of the newer technology lipos that can charge faster, aka more flights in one day. IM not talking about A123, as those aren't as energy dense and are heavy. But steve neu has some 5C charge batteries that are pretty resonable compared to other brands. Just something to consider...
Thanks,
Correct me if I am wrong, but a duel 8C charger can only charge a max 160-180 watts, is that not about 4-5 amps a side? By having 2 4C packs or one 8 cell pack I can charge one set of packs on each side of my charger at 4-5 amps each. How could one of these chargers charge faster, even if the battery can take it.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:14 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
You are right, the battery would likely be the limiting factor as the 5C 8s pack would need to be charged at 200 watts or so. Just get bigger chargers kidding of course.

Will you be aiming at flying this plane more then once in a afternoon?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,882 Posts
Quote:
You are right, the battery would likely be the limiting factor as the 5C 8s pack would need to be charged at 200 watts or so. Just get bigger chargers kidding of course.

With 5000Mah packs at 55% power I should have a flying time of about 15 to 20 minutes. For me that is 2 flights, with a charger time of about 2 hours that would be 4 flights a day, I think that should be enough to project the free world from the cold war enemies.

DAG
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:

Actually, a 5000 mAh pack would need a charger that could deliver 25 amps, that's 840 watts to charge an 8S pack @ 5C. There is nothing on the market today to handle that, one of my gripes, we seem to be going back and forth with battery versus charger technology...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Doh, yeah, im done with math class for the day, so i don't have to do math

Get some solar panels on it! You could fly even longer!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
Team Hacker
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Jul 2006
1,165 Posts
I bought a dozen of these Hobby City 6S-4000s to run 4 at a time (12S2P) in my Hangar-9 Sukhoi. So far so good and they are only $75.00 each. They are also only 580g each. Many people in our club are using various Hobby City batteries and overall they perform very well.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_6S1P_20C_

To charge you could buy several of these 150 watt chargers. Several people in our club are using them without issue. $80.00 each

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

Sorry to seem like an advertisement for Hobby City but I have had great luck with their products.
Geoff Dryer is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Dryer
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:57 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dryer
Sorry to seem like an advertisement for Hobby City but I have had great luck with their products.
Out of curiosity do you have any packs with 100 or more cycles, 50 or more?

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:12 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,882 Posts
More great news,
Glennis is now the manufacturer of my Wheels and brakes. I sent just one e-mail and got a response the same day, and a solution to my needs the next day, I am so pumped up that I am going to have some cool wheels and brakes.

Here is a budget update, as some of you know I started this project years ago in the design portion, that was around a bunch of G-24's, then went to G-26's, then to 4 each 4-strokes that were to be belt driven on a shaft ( that would be 24 cylinders). Back then I had a budget of 4k, then it went to 5k, then it became 8k a year ago, not it looks to be about 12k. Hope she flies .

DAG
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
373 Posts
That's better than My budget....it started at 12k and I haven't got the mechanics mounted yet!!! But of course you have to figure in the "Wow" factor when that puppy ascends into the heavens!!!
coptercptn is online now Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:17 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
Nice Dag. I look forward to see the flight videos.

On HC products.. don't worry about sounding like an advertisement.. not like we haven't been giving hacker mad props in this thread .
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:23 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
I think if you look in the EDF forum you'll find very good reviews of the zippy-h batteries. Even when being discharged at 25C or more nearly constantly they are holding up well to 50 cycles. In an application like this where they are hardly stretching their legs, i think they may hold up well.
I think the battery situation is something you could never really settle, the grass could always be greener