HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:14 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Must agree with you James. I'm seeing the same thing. Looks like full left aileron at 50 seconds in. Way too bad.
Just didn't have the time/reaction/realization (whatever) to notice the attitude getting worse despite the input... So sad.

In what part of town are you? I'm in the Montavilla neighborhood... if that's meaningful!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
A guy here at RCG e-mailed me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXV1bInFS4k

Looks to be bad pre-flight and controls check, at least IMHO

Dag
Hi Dag...

You really hate to see something like that....but the thing that gets me are all the guys standing in the "line of fire" for those four props at the beginning of the video....
And the same thing in the video for the Sea Fury.. when it is first run, it is pointing towards the spectators. I just don't understand why other people don't understand what can happen when a prop comes off.

One good thing about your B-36, is that even if a prop came loose, since the thrust would be towards the front of the plane, it "shouldn't" come off....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:13 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
I still vote for a failed range test. Or TX Antenna down...

I've seen it happen before. Usually looks almost exactly like that.

Maybe even RX Battery failure as soon as a real load is put on it?

I'm going for no on the stall. It just doesn't look like it.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:13 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Maybe it's my young but very bad eyes, but to me it looks like he's trying to roll RIGHT. The left aileron looks down, while the right one looks up. I'm wondering if he was having engine problems, combined with an overweight/underpowered model.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:01 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
Well they were not all that smart any way..I love how the guys are standing in front of it during run up....not the best place to stand!..oops I just read the posts before me...I am not the only who was saying what are they doing????
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:11 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
In what part of town are you? I'm in the Montavilla neighborhood... if that's meaningful!

James
Mt Scott Area. Yeah I know in general the Montavilla area. Fly in Washougal with the Fern Prairie Modelers, and out in McMinnville with the McMinnville Aero Modelers out off Mason Rd. Fun fly there tomorrow.

And now Back to Dag
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:26 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook View Post
Maybe it's my young but very bad eyes, but to me it looks like he's trying to roll RIGHT. The left aileron looks down, while the right one looks up. I'm wondering if he was having engine problems, combined with an overweight/underpowered model.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the lighting shows the left aileron in the up position. As the aft, upper portion of the wing is in shadow, a down aileron would be in at least as much shadow. The left aileron is definitely lit up by the sunlight, showing the upper face above the shadow.

I'm through, now!

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:56 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
533 Posts
This might look familiar... People standing in front of the plane during the power-up test and stalling just after takeoff. IMHO, both attempted turning before getting enough airspeed with an underpowered plane and the lower wing stalled. Although the reflection off the wing of the B-24 does make it look like the left aileron was up. Nuttin like a good pre-flight check.

RC C-130 Madien Flight Crash (2 min 58 sec)

Now back to your regularly scheduled, Dag's B-36 show...
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:01 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Now THAT was a stall!

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Jun 05, 2010, 01:51 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Hi Guys.....

No crash on this one, but it sure seems to me, that the gentleman flying the plane really needs to learn how to co-ordinate aileron and rudder, as the left hand turns all seem to really skew, with the tail dropping to the left....

Worlds Largest Model RC Plane (5 min 6 sec)

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jun 05, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:09 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
As you can't just buy a RTF plane that size, you would hope the pilot had some experience beforehand and was competent, so I'd like to think it was another reason. BTW, why were there two guys with transmitters?

Sorry to clutter up the thread with another non- build related post. Hiya Tony S, good to see a few other Aussies watching too! This biuld sure has created some attention, the mind just boggles...
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jun 05, 2010, 05:25 AM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
345 Posts
Re B.24 my two pennorth says the left aileron was UP and was held up, I think ailerons reversed. I've done it myself and you just keep bending the stick that way because you can't accept it's reversed!!
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:32 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62 View Post
As you can't just buy a RTF plane that size, you would hope the pilot had some experience beforehand and was competent, so I'd like to think it was another reason. BTW, why were there two guys with transmitters?

Sorry to clutter up the thread with another non- build related post. Hiya Tony S, good to see a few other Aussies watching too! This biuld sure has created some attention, the mind just boggles...
Hi mate! There are two guys on transmitters because once you get these mammoth models, there are more than enough controls for one pilot, so non-major functions get assigned to the co-pilot (like with full-size. Dag is planning this too.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:27 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
533 Posts
That B-29 video was kewl but IMHO this video has more to show. Pilot and co-pilot WITH you can see in the video some one monitoring Tx's and RPM checks and good safety practices. Some pre-flight planning.... and a little bling to boot.

R/C B-29 with X-1 rocket (7 min 23 sec)

With all the finess Dag has shown so far and his attention to detail, I'm sure this B-36D maiden will be top of its class and be a prime example of "what to do" to be successful and throw in some fun too. I may not be able to attend the maiden cause its on the other side of the US from me but I am definatly looking forward to the video.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:19 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Hi Dag...

You really hate to see something like that....but the thing that gets me are all the guys standing in the "line of fire" for those four props at the beginning of the video....
And the same thing in the video for the Sea Fury.. when it is first run, it is pointing towards the spectators. I just don't understand why other people don't understand what can happen when a prop comes off.

One good thing about your B-36, is that even if a prop came loose, since the thrust would be towards the front of the plane, it "shouldn't" come off....

SteveT
Thats a clasic stalled wing!!
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181