HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:27 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
...........if I am ever at a RC event and anyone needs power for their chargers I will be the guy.....
Just make sure you charge them (financially) for charging them (electrically) - you've got a helluva lot of expenses to offset!

But from what I've seen, you'll be the 'Yes, of course, no problem' sort of chap.......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:43 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Good idea Dag, but at the depth they are working at the sea pressure is over 2000 lbs/sq in. Sea water is 44.4 lbs/per sq in per 100 feet.

Tom
Don't forget that the measured bottom hole pressure was like 6800 psi. Wouldn't be easy to force anything down the casing at that pressure.
This might sound like a simple operation to some but I assure you it isn't.
I've been involved with several oil well blowouts and the resultant fires. It is a very dangerous and complex operation to get them under control. Now, put those wells 5,000' below the ocean surface and the problems expand exponentially.

Didn't mean to derail your thread dag, I saw the 36 at SEFF and it is GORGEOUS.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:06 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
About drawings.

I have gotten a ton of great people here PMing, and e-mailing me about drawings, so......

I think I can add a zip file to my website for down load. What I will do is make 3 version of the B-36 plans available. I will also still take e-mails for those that want a printed set on 3 or 4 36"X110" Plotted paper drawings.

Give me about 3-4 weeks to get all the drawing cleaned up and I will update you all.

Thanks, Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:28 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbs View Post
Don't feed the troll.

EDIT - Probably should have quoted.

Just thinking out loud here after looking at the drawing, but when you mount large scale motors and props, are people using rubber washers etc. to try and knock out any vibration? Obviously, if you're balancing props correctly, the vibration should be minimal, but any imbalance in a prop that size could cause some decent vibration.
Forgot to respond to this. Are you referring to my 3 bl ade20-14's on my 36??? I have found that I get worse low frequency vibration using rubber motor mounts. I have tried rubber isolated motor mounts on everything up to 300Cc gas engines, and I have had no luck at all with them. On the really big stuff it just saves the welds on the motor mounts.

Thanks, Dag
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:47 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Hey all....

I just got an e-mail asking me to ignore the trolls and keep up the great work, and please don't get mad and quit posting here. Just an FYI, if it gets really crazy I can just finish this thread in my Blog area, that way I can delete any post I feel is not contributing to this build. After all it is my time, and money (over 25K now if you include the custom trailer I had built).

So no worries that I will just go away, besides I have had so many people want me to write my book, and this thread is 30% of what will make it up.

In some ways I wish I had started this in my Blog area, I wonder if the mods could move this there??.

Thanks, Dag
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,997 Posts
The mods can allow you to moderate this thread yourself. Giving you the same ability without moving it. Ask them and see if they'll go for it. We've got one thread in our club area that we only wanted pics posted in and no follow up comment posts. They set me up to moderate that thread so I can delete stuff other than photos.

Jeff
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Last edited by jwjohnson; Jun 03, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:34 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,799 Posts
Quote:
About drawings.

I have gotten a ton of great people here PMing, and e-mailing me about drawings, so......

I think I can add a zip file to my website for down load. What I will do is make 3 version of the B-36 plans available. I will also still take e-mails for those that want a printed set on 3 or 4 36"X110" Plotted paper drawings.

Give me about 3-4 weeks to get all the drawing cleaned up and I will update you all.

Thanks, Dag
Dag:
Cool will be looking forward to it.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:38 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,799 Posts
Quote:
Hey all....

I just got an e-mail asking me to ignore the trolls and keep up the great work, and please don't get mad and quit posting here. Just an FYI, if it gets really crazy I can just finish this thread in my Blog area, that way I can delete any post I feel is not contributing to this build.
Thanks, Dag
I thought you could delete posts here as it is your thread.
Rick.
OK now I see Some threads have a statement in the banner at the top of the page.
"This thread is privately moderated by ****, who may elect to delete unwanted replies."
With the thread starters name in place of the ****
But I don't see this for every thread maybe it's the start date or maybe where it is.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Last edited by RiBell; Jun 03, 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added a PS
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:34 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Hey all....

I just got an e-mail asking me to ignore the trolls and keep up the great work, and please don't get mad and quit posting here. Just an FYI, if it gets really crazy I can just finish this thread in my Blog area, that way I can delete any post I feel is not contributing to this build. After all it is my time, and money (over 25K now if you include the custom trailer I had built).

Thanks, Dag
didn't you also HAVE TO buy a hummer for all this insanity ? wouldn't that bump up the "money spent" a wee bit?
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:11 PM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,523 Posts
Quote:
I know I have said this before, but I have always been a better flier than a building. Last year we had some fun where we had a kid with 2 flags acting like he was guiding me in for a landing like on a carrier. We where all having a blast and each kid took turns, some knew that it was their skill at the flags that made me have such a good landing. In the 6 years of flying of the street I have only had one problem. At the 4th airshow about 5 years ago I would go up about 200' and do a flat spin, I would have all the kids count, if I made it to 10 I hit my goal, well I did not get enough altitude and on my 10th spin I knew I had really screwed up and let myself get way to low, so I parked my biplane in the tree across the street, just pulled the landing gear off, and with some hot glue was flying the next day. The reason for the next was I went up the tree and got the plane, but it was the next day that my son went back up the tree and found the landing gear. Needless to say, I go much higher now, and safety is always 110% first with me and flying. And if I do ever get over any houses, it is only 2, and they love my planes and kids.

I see many that can just fly a plane, but I notice many let the plane fly them, if you cannot keep heading on ground roll you need more practice. If you cannot land on a spot 20' in length, you need more practice. I am a big nerd and for a long time kept count of how many flights I have flown, I quit counting at about 2520, that might not sound like a lot for flying 30 years, but it is a bunch, if my math is right, about .23 times a day is what is averages out to. I just love to fly.

Rock Onward

Dag
Hi Dag,
I have an open field (41 acres) behind my home with a vacant lot next to it, and a two lane boulevard with a crossover I can use for a short runway for my old timers which are electric.
Of course old timers only need a short takeoff roll, then go almost vertical, which some of the neighbors are amazed at.
There's open county road on two sides of the 41 acre field which can be used also , but have power lines on one side.
But on a good day, I can fly my electrics out over the field, and yes like you, my neighbors like it, especially some of the local kids
But it's fun sharing it with them.

Hey I just thought of a cool idea!!!
If you could get the sound track of the B-36 takeoff in Strategic Air Command
and have a sound system that could play it as you taxi out and takeoff!
It's an oldie but goodie movie , but that takeoff sequence is still a classic!
If not onboard the airplane, have a PA system that plays B-36 sounds as you make low passes and takeoffs!

Those aileron rolls of your Corsair are just so cool!
There's something about a Corsair doing aileron rolls!

Latest update on Oshkosh
There will be an FW 190 ( the real thing) and a real Nakajima A6M2 model 21 Japanese Zero there along with 50 DC-3's !
latest word is the DC-3's are planning a mass formation arrival, and landing in trail, so any of you DC-3 fans should be there with a good video camera!
The DC-3's will be a combo of DC-3's and C-47's, along with I belive two DC-2's

Eastern Airlines, and Delta Airlines are flying in their DC-3 Flagships, so any of you DC-3 fans can get some really great pictures for detailing.
Right now we are still trying to figure out where all the DC-3's will be parked.
At this time, they will not all be together, but dispersed around the airport.
It looks like about 10 to 15 will be in the VAA section ( south 40) and the rest will be spread around elsewhere because they do take up some real estate.
Some will be down in Warbirds( C-47's) ( next to the north 40)
There will also be some B-17's there also, because on opening day July 28 will be the 75th anniversary of the first flight of a B-17
Otherwise July 28, 1935.
This year will also include the FIRST night time airshow!
Also for any rock and roll fans, the band Chicago starts off the show
and also later is Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan band, and also Jeff Dunham and his dummies.
( for those not familiar with Gary Sinise) he is on the TV show CSI and was Lt Dan in the movie "Forrest Gump"
Gary himself is a pilot.
Jeff Dunham is also a helicopter pilot and homebuilder, he is sponsored by Rotorway.

Sully Sullenberger and Jeff Skiles( the two airline pilots who landed on the Hudson river)
will be at Airventure Oshkosh running the Young Eagles program as they are the new National Co-Chairmen of the EAA Young Eagles
program.
Now there you go, why don't you build a giant DC-3 ?
Just a suggestion for a future project!

Also volunteers are still needed, and guys are needed to help out at Kid Venture to help teach kids how to build and fly model airplanes!
Also Dag, if you're interested, I can get you a space to show your 1919 Emmasel , most likely in the new VAA hangar.
I'll talk with a buddy of mine who's in charge up there.
Another buddy of mne is the EAA Director of Flight Operations.
He too is a modeller and a member on RC Groups
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Jun 03, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:28 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
didn't you also HAVE TO buy a hummer for all this insanity ? wouldn't that bump up the "money spent" a wee bit?
LOL, that is great, I wish I could blame buying the hummer on something, but I just always wanted one, so when the right one came along.... I just had to get it.

Rock On!
Dag
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:04 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
Keep in mind that the resistor is not to keep the spark from scaring you, it is to prevent the high current spike from 'pitting' your connectors, which could reduce their life and increase their contact resistance dramatically.

The esc issue can be solved by hard setting the esc to the correct cuttoff voltage instead of using the autodetect.

I really wish I could go to oshkosk....
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:17 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
I was seeing a lot of resistor talk back a few pages where it almost appeared as if watts and ohms were being used interchangeably. Please be careful with that, they are not the same, not by a long shot.
I used to fall victim to this before I knew better. In my specific post, I was referring to power dissipated in terms of watts, to keep from using a large 1W resistor. Obviously, a high resistance 1/4W resistor will cause the capacitors to take longer to charge. I guess I could've calculated the time it takes to charge, but I don't recall seeing which exact caps were being used. meh.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:25 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd View Post
Wow, what the B36 would sound like with the sound of six big radials running!!!

Six of these:

Radialengine 14 Zyl Twin-star (2 min 46 sec)

Except add 14 more cylinders to each engine, and probably scale it up 25-50%
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:57 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Gee Bee R3 Big radial engine Moki 400 near to mega crash sexy aircraft (2 min 44 sec)

Most awesomest sounding radial in r/c

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04