Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 27, 2010, 07:18 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
If it is within his skill set, he would be better off using those caps and adding them in parallel to get to the total capacitance that he needs. The smaller caps will likely have a faster response time compared to using fewer, larger caps.
Yep.
That is what everyone told me 1500 post back. The 220 is what everyone recommended, I plan on using 1 for every 5" added to my wire. So if I had 20" I would have 4 in parallel.

Thanks, Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Hi Dag....

Is there enough room to mount the ESC between the legs of the motor mount, flat on the firewall??? I would think that with the fan on the ESC, that you would have enough cooling???

SteveT
If I go with caps to lengthen the wire I may do that, but my testing showed I could get away with longer motor leads and have no problems. But just out of ease of servicing I may have to go with adding caps.

Thanks, Dag
Old May 28, 2010, 01:13 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Aren't you going to have access to your batteries?

Why not just have the ESCs in the battery compartments?

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old May 28, 2010, 08:38 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,045 Posts
dejavu?
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
dejavu?

LOL I figured someone had already suggested it, or Dag had a good reason not to, but I've seen more obvious things get overlooked in a huge project so...

-Eric
Old May 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
LOL I figured someone had already suggested it, or Dag had a good reason not to, but I've seen more obvious things get overlooked in a huge project so...

-Eric
The CG on this plane is the biggest obstacle there is, the batteries all together for just the flight packs weigh over 10 pounds, so they have to be as far ahead of the CG as possible, however the ESC needs to be easy to get to. So the Caps idea may be the way I go, The ESC on the firewall is a great idea, but then I have to add a ton of caps.

We shall see....

Dag
Old May 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1 Posts
Wow I cant believe i just read all 5oo pages of this amazing build.
Very inspiring!

Wish I would have found this thread sooner.
keep up the good work.
kmack747 is offline Find More Posts by kmack747
Old May 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
WOW! Page 500!!!

almost as impressive as the plane itself!
Click the Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Click the Pirate
Old May 28, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2004
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
The CG on this plane is the biggest obstacle there is, the batteries all together for just the flight packs weigh over 10 pounds, so they have to be as far ahead of the CG as possible, however the ESC needs to be easy to get to. So the Caps idea may be the way I go, The ESC on the firewall is a great idea, but then I have to add a ton of caps.

We shall see....

Dag
You'll figure it out Dag !
By the way, you have about 20 new fans from my VAA Chapter 37
in Auburn!
Sent you a PM about it.

Hey by the way, while your building and want some good sounds to listen to
try out Warbird Radio online

Good stuff to listen to, lots of great interviews and some good 1940's music.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old May 28, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

We shall see....

Dag

Well, I mean your batteries are going up front, why not make the spot a little bigger and put the ESCs in there with the batteries? Just use the same compartment!

-Eric
Old May 28, 2010, 10:55 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,128 Posts
Hey Dag,

Thinks are looking good! I haven't been reading my regular forums for a good month or so, I'm still decompressing after SEFF and Joe Nall. I'm not sure I mentioned this to you before but I've been playing drums for some 35+ years, do your kid a favor and take him to see RUSH on 08/29 in Columbus, OH @ Nationwide Arena, they are recreating their 1981 album "Moving Pictures", the first time they've done something like this in their 35+ years. Phil Collins and Genesis are long-time favorites of mine but I assure you if your kid has never seen Neil Peart of Rush play live, he'll be left standing in a puddle of saliva with his mouth stuck to the floor when he does. These guys won't be touring forever, world class musicians, all 3 of them...

Sorry for the side-track!

Rock on,

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old May 28, 2010, 11:01 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,128 Posts
BTW, this actually DOES relate to flying, there is an instrumental song on the album "Moving Pictures" called "YYZ". The track's title is the IATA Airport Code for Toronto Pearson International Airport. It is played repeatedly in Morse code (-.--/-.--/--..) at the beginning of the song. ;-)

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old May 29, 2010, 01:59 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,832 Posts
Ditto to seeing Neil Peart play drums. Any Drummer would die to see him play live - nothing quite like it. Saw them for the first time live in 2009 and still can't get over Neils drum solo....
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old May 29, 2010, 04:36 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
BTW, this actually DOES relate to flying, there is an instrumental song on the album "Moving Pictures" called "YYZ". The track's title is the IATA Airport Code for Toronto Pearson International Airport. It is played repeatedly in Morse code (-.--/-.--/--..) at the beginning of the song. ;-)

Jack
My son has been playing YYZ since he was 15, one of his favorites, Sub-Divisions is his next favorite RUSH song he plays. We have seen them live before.

Dag
Old May 29, 2010, 08:51 AM
Norway, Ostfold
Joined Jun 2009
6 Posts
Impressive build!

Hi!

I found this thread today while browsing the forum for something to brighten my exam reading days, and WOW. I thought I'd just read through, and then I discovered I was on page 3 of 500!

My own rc flying experience is limited to two beginner planes, but knowing a thing or two about structural engineering, I'm completely impressed by this immense undertaking! Your patience and level of craftsmanship is awesome!

By quickly skimming the thread (about 10 pages at a time), I understand you have overcome problems in more than one area. I'm definitely gonna follow your project till the end.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!
bgrim is offline Find More Posts by bgrim