Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:57 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
Hi Dag,

Just thought I would let you know that I've been following your thread and just can't wait to read the latest installment. Also, I picked up on Hacker USA lending you assistance, so when I went to the AMA convention today I stopped by and spoke with them. You are right nice group of folks. They were very helpful and took the time to explain their product. So I purchased a motor/controller/battery from them and mentioned my purchase was directly related to the help they have been giving you. I like to see companies go the extra few steps to help their customers and feel they should be recognized for their efforts. Now I know there are many companies that do this and a few that don't but I chose to support the ones that do.

Ok done with the soap box, time for another posting from you!

al
That is really cool you got to meet the Hacker guys, I have had the best time talking with Mike and Sean on the phone. You are going to love their products and their customer service.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2008
511 Posts
I'm looking forward to using their product, though I'm must admit it is going in an ARF (please don't ban me from this thread Ok?). Sean said if I was not pleased with the results to contact him and he would help to get the proper setup...I have no doubt the setup will work just fine but it is nice to know I can call for help if needed!

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:18 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,906 Posts
wow.. she is huge...

edit:
Just to clarify, I meant the plane, not your little girl.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:00 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
The attached pic gives an even better idea to how large this project is. Some of the challenges I am having to address is because of it's size and how I go about getting things done. The pic is a bad attempt and adding to pics into one.

DAG
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:19 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag, I would just about imagine you need a Tool Belt for your glue and small pieces of wood and sanding blocks or what ever...
I can see you getting to one side to do something but you forgot something on the other side and have to go back around ...lol lol lol...
But then you do got two little helper though dont you...lol lol lol...

Amazing !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2008
511 Posts
Yikes!
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
9 Posts
i guess in a building enviroment like this a hard hat is required.
issaboo is offline Find More Posts by issaboo
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
All,
Here are my test for the day.
My next test will be CF shafts, but I am back to building the next month as I know my nacelle design will work. And I have to stay on schedule if I am to make the electric fly-in 700 miles from me.

One thing I want to clear up, and I think I have stated this somewhere. This testing was only to make sure that the way the bearings were attached to the nacelle, and the the shafting was strong enough to take the loads. It was never my intent to test the structural strength of the nacelle attached to the wing, I already know I am good to go on that.

B-36D Nacelle #4 bearing and shaft full power test 002 (9 min 35 sec)

B-36D Nacelle #4 bearing and shaft full power test 003 (2 min 32 sec)

Thanks all,

DAG
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Dag, I would just about imagine you need a Tool Belt for your glue and small pieces of wood and sanding blocks or what ever...
I can see you getting to one side to do something but you forgot something on the other side and have to go back around ...lol lol lol...
But then you do got two little helper though dont you...lol lol lol...

Amazing !!

Seeya, Tim
Thanks Tim,
This project is really taking shape. I am really happy with the way the shafting test have turned out. I had to move this monster into a bigger place to start my wiring harness lay-out and my other system, with the plane in large parts it is just to hard to see the big picture.

Thanks friend.

Damon
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,906 Posts
looks pretty solid to me
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!!! Just seeing that kind of power makes me feel all tingly inside ;-)

Dag,

Did I see 4,100 as the full power max RPM on 8S, I had estimated 4,270 on the bench. I like what I see, this is going to be one amazing sounding plane on the ground and in the air, imagine 6 of those! Any thrust measurements yet?

Again, great work!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:42 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
427 Posts
Better to have too much power than not enough...I'm glad to see the tests worked out so well!!!

Jim
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:06 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Hi Dag!
There is no substitute for raw power when it comes to airplanes!
When you let this thing roll out for takeoff, my bet is it will want to go vertical and be capable of it!
Hee hee hee, if you mount all the engines in it and test run them together, you better have that workbench bolted to the floor or it's going to scoot across the garage! LOL!

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
Hi Dag!
There is no substitute for raw power when it comes to airplanes!
When you let this thing roll out for takeoff, my bet is it will want to go vertical and be capable of it!
Hee hee hee, if you mount all the engines in it and test run them together, you better have that workbench bolted to the floor or it's going to scoot across the garage! LOL!

Ed
Hey Ed,
It is funny after running the first test my entire bench had moved about 3" with just this one motor. I then used C-blocks to weight down the bench. In the second video after throwing the rag into the prop 5 times I knew it was not going to hurt it, then I just decided to grab the closet thing to me (a 48" steel ruler) and cram it into the prop, the prop lost 3/4" of wood, but the shafting, bearing, and the bearing holders held up great. And this Hacker is one power house . I really have only one last test to do and that is measure the thrust, I have been told by an engineer and also read that if I take a basic floor fan and just move some air thru the prop it will keep it from being stalled, I should get a close to accurate thrust measurement that way.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:57 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
I watched the videos, and that motor really puts out!
I'll have to go back and watch it again, and see if I can see the workbench move! LOL!
About 10 years ago, I bought a giant scale engine, a twin cylinder, and bolted it on a test stand I have with several bricks in the bottom of it, it is a box with all my tools, fuel, etc in it for testing and it's portable, so I can take it to the flying filed if need be.
It is HEA V V V V Y Y Y !!! especially with the bricks in the bottom of it for engine testing.
The phone rang, I turned around to answer it, and when I turned around again, the box was on it's way out of the garage, luckily the garage door was open, and the tank only had a small amount of fuel in it and ran out.The test stand had moved almost 15 feet, headed for the street! LOL!
Lesson learned! If I was going to put this engine in a giant sale, it better have some very strong wing spaars in it!
I put it in a 1/4 scale scratchbuilt clipped wing Taylorcraft (88 inch span) and it weighed in around 18 pounds, and at full throttle, I could pull back on the elevator and go vertical and it would climb until I couldn't see it anymore!
I almost lost it because as it went OOS , I had no idea of what it would do next, so a flying buddy grabbed a pair of binoculars and we got it back down, but almost pulled the wings off of it!
I cut the throttle, and put it in a spin to get it down, but it was spinning like crazy, and as I pulled it ut of the spin , it was diving like a banshee!
I NEVER tried that stunt again! LOL!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed