Cdr.Instigator is offline Find More Posts by Cdr.Instigator
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 12:20 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I too would love to get a set of the plans scaled down. My choice would be exactly 1/2 the size.
It would make all the scaling issues fairly easy. Even the landing gear as I'm sure that if the manufacture was contacted they should be able to make it 1/2 the size, without too much difficulty.
As I understand that if you double the size the weight goes up by a factor of 4. So it would stand to reason the at 1/2 the size the weight would be 1/4. for a flying weight of 25-30 lbs. If I remember Dag is using 20" props. so 10" props would be scale allowing the use of E-Flite 25's or equivalent on a 3S packs.
Oh and it would fit right alongside a Ziroli DC-3 (140") or a Tony Nijhuis Lancaster (134")
Rick
I agree that half size would be better. I lost my career of 12 years and, shortly thereafter, my home last year. I used my severence check to get a motorhome and now I live in it traveling around the country looking for work and trying to get an internet logo design company up and running so that I can have just a little of the freedom that comes with owning your own buisness. With this in mind, you can imagine that storage room for planes is pretty hard to come by. I have had to leave most of my fleet in a storage shed and only take a couple foamys and a couple micros with me on the road. I recently picked up an old Ford pickup and I am going to put a topper on it so that I can transport something a little larger. I need to do some meassuring and see how a half size will fit in it. Of course, if it breakes down the same as Dags then that won't be a problem.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 26, 2010, 12:25 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Don't order the Mac-master Carr Stuff.

Go here:
http://www.thetapedepot.com/cart/com...mart/Itemid,1/

You can get it by the roll or case.

Rock On!
Dag
I'm glad somebody brought this up again. We used this a lot at Cessna. It is great stuff and I have always wondered if it could be used for covering. At Cessna we used it for everything from taping on ice-shapes to taping an entire plane together for a roll-out just so the press would think it was completed on time.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old May 26, 2010, 02:20 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Don't order the Mac-master Carr Stuff.

Go here:
http://www.thetapedepot.com/cart/com...mart/Itemid,1/

You can get it by the roll or case.

Rock On!
Dag
I see the words "dead soft aluminum" in the description. I've seen other foil tapes and they are so soft that one would have to keep rings and fingernails well away from the plane to prevent dents and marking. Not usual to see women at a flying field anyway but is this stuff a bit harder and more resistant to marking or are you handling it with soft cotton gloves ?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old May 26, 2010, 03:22 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Open the hood and look underneath the H2, Avalanche, Suburban, and Tahoe all have the same drivetrain. Want to save about 30% buy a Tahoe, you can load one for about what a stripped Hummer would cost. A lot of inter-mountain locals refer to the H2 as, "Tahoe plus 20%."
The H3 Is a Colorado pickup under the sheetmetal.
Be that as it may time with small people enjoying our hobby is never wasted it is just teaching the next generation of builders/flyers how great our hobby is.
Foo
That's funny, all the used Suburban, and Tahoe with the same miles I have seen now are about 20% more than a Hummer. And with all the buggy riding and 4X4ing I use to do the H2's were always pulling the Suburban, and Tahoe out of the mud.

But a Hummer sure does turn my head, the Suburban and Tahoe are just big station wagons.

Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
I see the words "dead soft aluminum" in the description. I've seen other foil tapes and they are so soft that one would have to keep rings and fingernails well away from the plane to prevent dents and marking. Not usual to see women at a flying field anyway but is this stuff a bit harder and more resistant to marking or are you handling it with soft cotton gloves ?
You are right, it is very soft stuff, and any touch needs care, but if it were to strong you could not get it to stretch around bends, and corners.

Thanks, Dag
Old May 27, 2010, 05:05 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
What I got done last night. Laying out where the ESC's go so I can service them is not easy, also how I can get to them with my RX lead, fan power lead, and data lead. There is 6 of these systems and all of them have to be serviceable in a way that does not weaken anything.

Attached is a few photos that show what I am up against, and while doing all of this I have to keep the ESC as close as possible to the battery.

Dag
Last edited by dag214; May 27, 2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 06:14 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
I too would love to get a set of the plans scaled down. My choice would be exactly 1/2 the size.
It would make all the scaling issues fairly easy. Even the landing gear as I'm sure that if the manufacture was contacted they should be able to make it 1/2 the size, without too much difficulty.
As I understand that if you double the size the weight goes up by a factor of 4. So it would stand to reason the at 1/2 the size the weight would be 1/4. for a flying weight of 25-30 lbs. If I remember Dag is using 20" props. so 10" props would be scale allowing the use of E-Flite 25's or equivalent on a 3S packs.
Oh and it would fit right alongside a Ziroli DC-3 (140") or a Tony Nijhuis Lancaster (134")
Rick
You know Rick when I started reading this I thought you meant 1/2 scale.

That would be 1,280 inches, just a tad bigger than mine.

That weight thing is not a true doubling and getting 4 more time the weight. In some cases it is close. However you are close in what it should weigh. Many times when you make it smaller you need less bulkheads, and wing ribs, but it will be close. A 129.5" B-36 would be cool.

To make a 100" set of planes I figured out that I only need to scale by .3860

A half size of mine would be 129.5" And to be true scale I really should have 21.5" props, so 11" 3 blades would do the job.

Thanks, DAG
Old May 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,192 Posts
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old May 27, 2010, 06:26 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Great to see it come togehter ,congrats DAG . Well i would put the speed controllers near the trailing edge behind the motor rather than leading edge , because there would be more space for the fan and better air circulation cooling , because the fan needs some clearance from the walls to operate efficiently . So yeah they will get good cooling, easy to make it because they are in the engine bays , air comes in from the leading edge engine bay intake and leaves from the motors if that makes sense , but then again there would be pre heated air flowing to the engines , that might pose a problem to the engine temperature increase , so afterall you might consider separate airflow channels .
Greets charged
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old May 27, 2010, 06:32 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
FYI about the aluminum tape, you need to make sure you get tape that has an acrylic adhesive, not a synthetic rubber adhesive as it will bubble up in the sun light.

Thanks, Dag
Old May 27, 2010, 06:34 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged View Post
Great to see it come togehter ,congrats DAG . Well i would put the speed controllers near the trailing edge behind the motor rather than leading edge , because there would be more space for the fan and better air circulation cooling , because the fan needs some clearance from the walls to operate efficiently . So yeah they will get good cooling, easy to make it because they are in the engine bays , air comes in from the leading edge engine bay intake and leaves from the motors if that makes sense , but then again there would be pre heated air flowing to the engines , that might pose a problem to the engine temperature increase , so afterall you might consider separate airflow channels .
Greets charged
Thanks, and you may not have seen all of my testing, the ESC has to stay close to the battery, unless I add more caps, which I may do, but if I do not then the ESC will stay close to the leading edge. In testing the ESC got a bit warm, but with the fans on them no problem, so with where they are located I will be fine, but I may just for easy of service move them back and add caps.

We shall see.

Dag
Old May 27, 2010, 07:15 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
I have gotten a good number of e-mails asking about how I learned to fly, and that I post that I am a better flier than builder, and I think I have posted this somewhere before, but......

The sims today are great, but does not teach you the basic principles of flight that many should know to be a good pilot. Attitude is for airspeed, and power for altitude. That being said I learned about powered models from control-line planes, I flew those from about age 7or8, until 25ish. I got into gliders at 17-18 and really started seeing how a plane flies on the wing, than I started playing with RC powered models at about 20. There were no sims when I learned to fly, and many times you just had to do your best to take steps to becoming a safe and controlled pilot. Many can fly, but how many can actually hold the center line of the runway in a cross wind. But today with the sims you can get a bunch of you coordination down with out crash a real plane. I still recommend a instructor teach you how to fly, but the sim is a huge help.

As to flying big models, flying my PZ F4U in my front yard takes a 100 times more concentration than flying my 1919. My neighbors love my planes, but I always have to think of what to do if anything is not spot on perfect.

If anyone is ever with in a 100 miles of Indianapolis and wants to go flying sometime PM me, if I can find the time, I will be there.

Thanks, Dag
Old May 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,138 Posts
Quote:
I have gotten a good number of e-mails asking about how I learned to fly, and that I post that I am a better flier than builder, and I think I have posted this somewhere before, but......

The sims today are great, but does not teach you the basic principles of flight that many should know to be a good pilot. Attitude is for airspeed, and power for altitude. That being said I learned about powered models from control-line planes, I flew those from about age 7or8, until 25ish. I got into gliders at 17-18 and really started seeing how a plane flies on the wing, than I started playing with RC powered models at about 20. There were no sims when I learned to fly, and many times you just had to do your best to take steps to becoming a safe and controlled pilot. Many can fly, but how many can actually hold the center line of the runway in a cross wind. But today with the sims you can get a bunch of you coordination down with out crash a real plane. I still recommend a instructor teach you how to fly, but the sim is a huge help.

As to flying big models, flying my PZ F4U in my front yard takes a 100 times more concentration than flying my 1919. My neighbors love my planes, but I always have to think of what to do if anything is not spot on perfect.

If anyone is ever with in a 100 miles of Indianapolis and wants to go flying sometime PM me, if I can find the time, I will be there.

Thanks, Dag
I always wanted to ask you if you have fooled with helicopters? Just curious. I swore I would never fly them but tried it and got hooked.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old May 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,752 Posts
Quote:
You know Rick when I started reading this I thought you meant 1/2 scale .

That would be 1,280 inches, just a tad bigger than mine.
Too funny Ya I meant 1/2 the size of yours

Quote:
A 129.5" B-36 would be cool.

To make a 100" set of planes I figured out that I only need to scale by .3860

A half size of mine would be 129.5" And to be true scale I really should have 21.5" props, so 11" 3 blades would do the job.

Thanks, DAG
Ya I though a 129" span B36 would be pretty cool asl well.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell