HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2010, 04:28 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,989 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks for the great support, I have a buddy that is big time HDHD, and I think I may be because that is how I get some much done, but my buddy never has the time to read an entire paragraph, let alone a whole thread. I understand if he does not understand a 2 year build, but he may not be a builder, putting an ARF together is nothing like cutting a part 3 times, the first time to see if it fits, the second to account for any changes you made in the trial fitting, and then sometimes the third time out of a thinner material because you see that your first part was just to strong. As I think many of you know, weight is just about everything to me. I think one of the funny and kind of sad things is that really the only person he made mad in my house was my girl, she could not believe anyone would say her dad was not a good dad. I told her to not even care about what he thinks, because in the end we all know here how much fun we have. But she did say I need to get my plane done so I can show that "funny guy" how my plane will fly. An 8 year old looks at life just a bit different.

And talking about an 8 year old, and the fun they have. I just wanted to share a few pics of something I could not afford not to buy. It is a 64' cargo parachute, all the kids on the street think it is a blast. The son and I let the wind fill it up, and then the kids attack it. My house as many of you know (that can read) is ground zero for fun. Just about every night I have 6-8 kids here wanting me to pull out the parachute. So sometimes the reason the B-36 does not get much done is this, I get up about 4am and work til about 6pm, then fire up the BBQ for dinner, then one of 2 things, B-36D?? or Kids from hell Many times the kids want me to pull out my F4U, of my biplane. But i have to say, having a parachute bigger than my house can be a blast

DAG

Rock ON!
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Last edited by dag214; May 21, 2010 at 04:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 06:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bomb View Post
I think Dag's plane is just a long lost Guillows kit and he didn't design it at all. He must have lost a few pieces. Because when I saw it, it didn't look die cut to me.

Also at SEFF I kept seeing this shadow on the flight line. Everytime I looked up there was a guy flying this ole time looking plane around. I thought real planes where supposed to fly higher than that for safety reasons.

Nah that couldn't have been Dag.

HA!
Thats great, I must have missed that last night.

One thing I think is really funny about dag is what he writes down as things he needs to invent to make a plane. His list back a year ago was like 2 pages now I think it is like 2-3 things. His gear doors took 2 months, but that is at dag time, which is not like any of our time. His gear doors seem to take forever, and then he sheets his nacelles tops in a week.

I think that guys thinks dag is building a kit. I am also curious to how he came up with some of his statements, like not flying for years, and no sim for a b-36, I have really tried to understand the guy, but wow.

AS dag says, rock-on

Nick.
f104nick is offline Find More Posts by f104nick
Old May 21, 2010, 06:33 AM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2007
923 Posts
That is awesome Dag... Are you thinking of adopting any kids.. ? I know I'm a little old, but hey... some of us still act like kids at 45..

Thanks for sharing..
Cdr.Instigator is offline Find More Posts by Cdr.Instigator
Old May 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,177 Posts
This wonderful build is not slow at all - by my standards My 55" WS Fairchild 24 has been 18 months (continuous) in the build and it is nowhere close to covering. I started it with the Buildoff III contest, and one year after than the deadline it is not finished Only one motor, no pneumatics, almost no wiring, small, still not easy..

This is a great thread, very inspiring.. No one can change that..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old May 21, 2010, 07:28 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
That is awesome Dag... Are you thinking of adopting any kids.. ? I know I'm a little old, but hey... some of us still act like kids at 45..

Thanks for sharing..
Not sure I have the room.

And here are a few more pics of my neglected, and very sad kids.

And I am 47, and the parachute is freaking fun, even the parents think it is a blast!!

Dag
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old May 21, 2010, 08:03 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
On behalf of GenXers everywhere, let me appologize for randyCHILD. We are not all instant gratification, loner, conspiracy theorists who think that if something is done differently from how we do it then it is wrong or a hoax.

Now having said that, I wanna play in the parachute!
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old May 21, 2010, 08:17 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Dad used to have to yell at us all the time (we would take it off his Triumph parts car) not to take his chute, and go play with it. My mother sent me a pic and there he was (age 79) playing with it in the back yard last week!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
Joined Nov 2004
23 Posts
Those poor kids are being abused just as I was as a child.

The horror of being educated and exposed to history. Some more kids that will know how to do something besides sit in front of a video game or television.

If you think this build has taken a lot of time and had problems (design or otherwise) you need to do some studying. All of these old warbirds and bombers (and other equipment) were designed with a pencil and paper. No computers, no simulators, and by the way, no calculators - done with a slide rule, no CNC or CAD. Done by people raised like those kids above that were inspired to create something no matter how long it took or how hard it was - 3 years was just a fraction of the time it take.

DAG, keep that girl away from that lathe . . . .

Dennis
Glennis_Aircraft is offline Find More Posts by Glennis_Aircraft
Old May 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2008
201 Posts
Edit- my post was already superseded
TongueTied is offline Find More Posts by TongueTied
Old May 21, 2010, 10:35 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Super seeding was not part of randychild's creation lol
Sorry couldn't resist.....which was a phrase probably used instead.

Yes, great thread. I often quickly build something and then come back to this one and reconsider. Grades of sandpaper get swapped for higher numbered grades, time gets spent, planes fly better !
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old May 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,974 Posts
Randy who???? I ignored him as suggested above. I highly recommend it.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old May 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
United States, MI, Kent County
Joined Dec 2007
135 Posts
I am continually amazed at the DAGspeed building process. My Ziroli Stuka is on year EIGHT!!!!! But it should fly this June.....
piercedb is offline Find More Posts by piercedb
Old May 21, 2010, 12:16 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennis_Aircraft View Post
Those poor kids are being abused just as I was as a child.

The horror of being educated and exposed to history. Some more kids that will know how to do something besides sit in front of a video game or television.

If you think this build has taken a lot of time and had problems (design or otherwise) you need to do some studying. All of these old warbirds and bombers (and other equipment) were designed with a pencil and paper. No computers, no simulators, and by the way, no calculators - done with a slide rule, no CNC or CAD. Done by people raised like those kids above that were inspired to create something no matter how long it took or how hard it was - 3 years was just a fraction of the time it take.

DAG, keep that girl away from that lathe . . . .

Dennis
Why? I wonder she doesn't know how to use it! I'd like to see what she can make with a little mill like that...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old May 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
If I may be so bold, I suggest everybody click on "randychid" users name. Then scroll down a bit and on the right side under the "Friends" heading, click on users list. A drop down menu appears, and I think you all know which option to select.

Ahhh, the air is suddenly much fresher, isn't it?
Thank's Frank, I knew it had to be somewhere. Perfect antitroll feature..

On the topic of build time I've taken 18months to build a GWS ARF and have been puttering away for almost 3 years at a scratch foamy. I'm amazed at Dag's productivity. I add up my own estimates the time he spends here, the time he spends earning money and the time required to design build this masterpiece at the pace he's going, and keep thinking it's over 24 hours/day already. Dag are you one people or 3!?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; May 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Vancouver,WA
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
I am with the 8 year old....make this thing fly for the "funny guy"! The Tyrone comment was low....sorry....but so was the crack about my deceased mother, your reta%# comment, your thinking you have more money than someone else, etc. The comment came because YOU SAID YOUR PRIORITIES WERE" family,work, plane not in that order"....I didnt say it YOU DID! I could go on but i wont. Now your insecurity shows.
randychid is offline Find More Posts by randychid
Last edited by randychid; May 21, 2010 at 02:55 PM.