HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
Cleco: real fastener. cleco: scale fastener. Right?
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:27 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
(C)leco if you're referring to the company. (c)leco if you're referring to the fastener, although (C)leco would be correct too. Same goes for Dzus.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:26 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Dag,
Love the Corsair, I need to get one of those, I have an autographed pic of "Pappy" Boyington(I hope I spelled that right), fun to copy his Corsair!
I can't believe how the B-36 is coming along!
Looking great!
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Dag, not sure if you finalised your lighting solution although I do recall you purchased some LEDs. This product from Dimension Engineering looks impressive and seems inexpensive: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ontroller.html

D.E. are well regarded so I would expect it works as advertised.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:55 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Dag, not sure if you finalised your lighting solution although I do recall you purchased some LEDs. This product from Dimension Engineering looks impressive and seems inexpensive: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ontroller.html

D.E. are well regarded so I would expect it works as advertised.
Actually I am testing a real cool (and light) Optically Isolated RX switch, a guy makes them for 25$. I is good for 5amps, and kicks on at 50% of the channel value. VERY cool so far. He can also custom build to order what you want it to do.

Thanks, Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
I really want to thank everyone for the great comments.

A small update on weight. Last night I complete the top planking of 5 of the 6 nacelles, just 1 more today and then onto my flaps. But last night I put everything on the scales again. Even 5 rolls of my aluminum tape. It looks that she will be between 91-95 pounds. Now the nose is very heavy, and I need that to off set my motors once places behind the CG, but if she comes out nose heavy when finished, then she could be 93 pounds or less. I have 8 A123 in the nose for ballast and if any of those can get switched to Lipos then the weight savings is huge.

I will post pics tonight of everything I have gotten done, and one huge surprise.

And something off topic, the end of last fall I had topped off my ThunderPower batteries thinking I would fly again before putting up my foam planes for the winter. Well I looked at my battery log after throwing my batteries on my charger and they only took about 3 minutes before being done. I thought how is this if I left them 75% stored, then looked at my log and seen I had left them full charged. Well... with 6 flights on both packs they are still holding the same charge as last year. These batteries rock!

Thanks, Dag
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2005
67 Posts
Dag, I think in addition to size/scope of this project you are making a very important contribution to the hobby.

I think you have thrown down the gauntlet in weight management. You are building lightness into everything instead of spiraling cycles of TLAR "that's not strong enough yet" which results in more useless plywood, more weight, and heavier planes with higher stall speeds and basically set up to crash.

Not only does this approach show how this can work, but after what I'm sure will be a set of highly successful test flights, this project will basically prove that the status quo for wing loading is WRONG.
CGordon is offline Find More Posts by CGordon
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:15 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGordon View Post
Dag, I think in addition to size/scope of this project you are making a very important contribution to the hobby.

I think you have thrown down the gauntlet in weight management. You are building lightness into everything instead of spiraling cycles of TLAR "that's not strong enough yet" which results in more useless plywood, more weight, and heavier planes with higher stall speeds and basically set up to crash.

Not only does this approach show how this can work, but after what I'm sure will be a set of highly successful test flights, this project will basically prove that the status quo for wing loading is WRONG.
Dag definitely believes in the "saal" principle... "Simplify, and add lightness"...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:12 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
She now looks to be complete by early June.
In time for Joe Nall?
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd View Post
In time for Joe Nall?
I thought Nall was in May. I might bring it to Nall just to Show, but she won't be flight ready.

Thanks, Dag
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:53 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Well I got a bunch done so far this weekend. And Friday my trailer got in (SEFF baby), this is why I am broke now. She is 16'X8', and is a "V" nose that gives me another 34" in the nose. The 36, and C130 will fit, not sure about the same time but I believe it is possible of I have one of them inverted. I ordered the trailer 6" taller so I have more head room. It has torsion bars for suspension and rides great.

Thanks, Dag
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:56 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Can I be your long lost son.... HEHE Man it's all coming together now... I wish I was in the USA just to see this plane first hand! As always great work and what a nice trailer..

Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
I have not posted much but have followed since the beginning. For the lack of anything intelligent to say, WOW!!!! Just freaking awesome DAG!! Being almost neighbors, I hope to see it fly some day!
I will miss the day this thread ends. Maybe you could start a "DAG" thread.
Later,
Ron
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
It's exciting seeing the motor and prop mounted.

The trailer is impressive and raises a question (coming from a place where it can get quite hot)...is it insulated and is there a need for some ventilation ? It looks somewhat oven-like and I could imagine it getting very hot indeed in there on a sunny day, enough to potentially warp things or cook lipos .
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:50 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
It's exciting seeing the motor and prop mounted.

The trailer is impressive and raises a question (coming from a place where it can get quite hot)...is it insulated and is there a need for some ventilation ? It looks somewhat oven-like and I could imagine it getting very hot indeed in there on a sunny day, enough to potentially warp things or cook lipos .
People have gotten really creative with their trailers. I have seen solar panels used to run chargers, lighting, and ventilation. Just a thought.
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4