HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:45 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
368 Posts
I definitely would love to be there for the "Maiden"..!!!
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2009, 11:12 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,794 Posts
are you going to do all linkages internally so nothing can be seen on the out side
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jan 06, 2009, 03:29 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
are you going to do all linkages internally so nothing can be seen on the out side
The rudder will be 100% internal, the elevators, and aileron will have only little arms sticking about 1/4" out the bottom, I need a specific moment arm to get enough travel with the torque I will get from my servos. Unless you look real close I don't think anyone will see them.
Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 06, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
16 Posts
This project is about as amazing as it gets. dag, have you always had an incredible aptitude for complex projects? Are you an engineer for a living as well if you don't mind me asking? Really quite astounding. I can't imagine that there is an aeronautical engineer out there who wouldn't be quite impressed with this endeavor.

I'd love to see this plane fly someday. Will you take it up to Muncie for demonstration flights during the NATS or at other events? I'm sure we'll see it on youtube, but it would be so cool in person.
OCFlyer1960 is offline Find More Posts by OCFlyer1960
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:04 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCFlyer1960
This project is about as amazing as it gets. dag, have you always had an incredible aptitude for complex projects? Are you an engineer for a living as well if you don't mind me asking? Really quite astounding. I can't imagine that there is an aeronautical engineer out there who wouldn't be quite impressed with this endeavor.

I'd love to see this plane fly someday. Will you take it up to Muncie for demonstration flights during the NATS or at other events? I'm sure we'll see it on youtube, but it would be so cool in person.
Thanks for the wonderful comments it is really great having all the support from you and all the others.

I have been e-mailed by many asking what I do for a living and have I worked on aircraft design and also if I am an engineer. The truth is I barely got thru high school, it was just not fun, and never did the college thing, just seemed to slow, heck I can barely spell correct. My bill paying job is I support and design the hoist systems and controls (computers) that you may see in a theatre or in Vegas. The huge sets that weigh 10,000 and up to 50,000+ pounds are moved by the systems I support and help design.

Aviation has always been a hobby. But I have to be honest, I have seen some real aircraft engineers that are clueless when it comes to thinking in 3D design.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:15 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,839 Posts
Oh come on, internal belt drive the surfaces (or something similar). Based on what you've done here, shouldn't be too hard for you to work it out
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
But I have to be honest, I have seen some real aircraft engineers that are clueless when it comes to thinking in 3D design.
I know a brilliant young man who would wholeheartedly agree with you. He designs full-scale flight simulators for aircraft and helicopters. He recently mentioned to me that it's hard to hire additional engineers to add to their team because so many applicants just can't think of a problem conceptually. Or they don't, anyway. They can work out calculus problems like you wouldn't believe, but are unable to offer suggestions that are really useful in taking an engineering challenge to the next step.
OCFlyer1960 is offline Find More Posts by OCFlyer1960
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:38 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
This is wickedly Brilliant! bravo!
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:38 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,296 Posts
Quote:
My bill paying job is I support and design the hoist systems and controls (computers) that you may see in a theatre or in Vegas. The huge sets that weigh 10,000 and up to 50,000+ pounds are moved by the systems I support and help design.
Dag,

Funny, I saw the road cases in one of your pictures and wondered if you might be in the biz, I was a lighting designed in a previous life ;-)

Do you happen to have the wing area handy? I created a profile in MotoCalc and I'm trying to be as accurate as possible...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:41 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Dag,

Do you happen to have the wing area handy?

Jack
I calculated 5,311 sq. in. if made to scale, am I close?

Jack
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:49 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Dag,

Funny, I saw the road cases in one of your pictures and wondered if you might be in the biz, I was a lighting designed in a previous life ;-)

Do you happen to have the wing area handy? I created a profile in MotoCalc and I'm trying to be as accurate as possible...

Jack
Thanks,
The Sq" are 5,425. I am not including the tips as they produce about 75% less lift.

And the true Kv of the motor is 168rpm/v

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:51 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
I calculated 5,311 sq. in. if made to scale, am I close?

Jack
Very close. Not sure why we are off, but I did calc true square inches, not just the foot print. I calculate buy the true surface area.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:02 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,296 Posts
Quote:
Very close. Not sure why we are off, but I did calc true square inches, not just the foot print. I calculate buy the true surface area.

Thanks, DAG
Mine was a down and dirty percentage of original wingspan to yours, trust your own!

Jack
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:03 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,296 Posts
Here's what MotoCalc shows, impressive thrust Dag!

Convair B-36D Peacemaker MotoCalc Numbers

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Jan 06, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:48 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Here's what MotoCalc shows, impressive thrust Dag!

Convair B-36D Peacemaker MotoCalc Numbers

Jack
Looks good,
If your prop calcs are correct the Zinger is doing better than I thought. When I use E-calc it shows max amps at 48ish, and max thrust at about 60 pounds. Not sure why the 2 differ so much, but heck I still think she will fly. Also once I see how she flies I can then cut down the high trim on the throttle.

Thanks, great info.

DAG