HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,421 Posts
A lot has been made over the amount of money Dag has invested in this project and by my standards, it's a lot. On the other hand, it's not uncommon for a jet pilot to have 15k-20k invested in an ARF ready to fly. My point is, while Dag has a lot invested, he's not alone at the top end of the hobby. Since I can't afford that much, I'm glad there are those that can, and I get to watch.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2005
66 Posts
I look at it yet another way. We on RCG represent the most wealthy nations in the world, and yet with so many wealthy individuals (literally millions of people), how many do something truly unique, inspiring, and rewarding to this level? And how much more money is p***ed away at country clubs, fancy restaurants, etc. Heck, most wealthy people I know are so soul-shallow they don't even take interesting trips. This project and so many lesser ones like it, give me hope in humanity!
CGordon is offline Find More Posts by CGordon
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:01 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGordon View Post
... This project and so many lesser ones like it, give me hope in humanity!
Ah, a philosopher and a true RC brother.
zen@lanset.com is online now Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
Hey all,
Some times I just ramble and try to say something but my mind has so many different aspects at how I feel that sometimes it just comes out wrong.

But...
I am going to attempt to give you a look into my mind and what drove this project. I am the type that has always worked very hard at anything I do. My job became a company that for me has supported well. Being rich is a point of view, and is relative to what you want in life. When I was 25 I had 3 jobs, and just had enough extra money to save a few dimes, and by glow fuel, model aviation was so important to me that I would get an extra job to make ends meet. But when my son was born I had to cut back even more. Then when my marriage hit critical mass, and then ended in divorce model aviation was put on the shelf, to have joint custody of my son cost me a lot, and end the end my son was the center of the universe to me, and having him every Friday thru Sunday was more important than than life to me at that point. I was out of model aviation for 6 years. When I got back into it was to start development of my B-36D. This might sound crazy but for 8 years I had not touched a model aircraft radio, and the first plane I flew after that 8 year break was 1 flight on a Goldberg Chipmunk, then the next on my 50% Pitts S-1, many of my friends begged me to get back into fly RC aircraft with a trainer. But I knew i had not lost the bug. I am by no means a rich guy, but I do know how to save, and when something is good things to go after. Owning you own company can be one of the scariest adventures to take on. I have been luck because when I give 110%, I get paid 110%. This B-36D project has been a blast, but let me tell you this, the most stress has been the money. It is unreal when you think that the companies in the industry that advertise in the model magazines really don't know crap about running a business. Most have horrible business models, and their engineering is crap. ThunderPower, Glennis, Hacker, JR, and AirLand Hobbies are with out a doubt thoroughbred companies. I found out very quickly that I was a much better engineer that most of these other companies. I actually had one that I sent data showing how I improved and lightened their design, and the jerk said "yea, I saw what you did, but didn't understand it". My 7 year old girl watched me test it and understood what I was doing. I have found out very quickly that any true design from scratch (not scratch building from plans) will cost in development 100% more than you think the finished plane will be. So if I think my C130 will be 8k, I will plan on 16K. I saved for 6 years once I knew I was going to take on this plane. I have not put off anything for my family, but I have put off many things I wanted to do to pay for this plane. Most people if they really want something can find a way to make it happen. I bet if most of you spent 6 years saving, or 6 years making good buying decisions, you could have 10k saved. keep in mind, for 6-8 years I spent nothing on model aviation.

In the end one reason I have not let this project stop is because of all the projects you see out there that get us all excited, but then never gets finished. This project will not be one of those.

Thanks all,
DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:35 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
Here is how I start the design of the bulk heads. I set a station at zero, the zero station is the zero datum starting at the nose.

Attached is how i pull stations that are pulled from the outline of the 3D drawing. I then export the stations into CAD. These CAD stations are then re-drawn 100%, but I use the outline from the 3D to develop my bulkheads. Also attached is a PDF of the rough outline that I will develop my bulkheads from.

DAG
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
How do you get the fuselage shape looking so accurate? Do you trace over a 2D image at all? Perhaps you just grab a 2D drawings and scale some coordinates?
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Here is how I start the design of the bulk heads. I set a station at zero, the zero station is the zero datum starting at the nose.

Attached is how i pull stations that are pulled from the outline of the 3D drawing. I then export the stations into CAD. These CAD stations are then re-drawn 100%, but I use the outline from the 3D to develop my bulkheads. Also attached is a PDF of the rough outline that I will develop my bulkheads from.

DAG
Nice 3D lesson, Damon!!!

Have a nice sunday!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:12 PM
Alex
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Nice work in 3D I wish I can do the same, I just have a question how did you got the shape of the formers in 3D, do you have the real shapes form the real one or did you used something else?, one day I got a 3D design from a site that sell 3D models and I asked to my friend to help me in order to get the formers and he did it using Rhino it was spectacular in 3 minutes he sent me the formers in cad.
Alex
alexGuz is offline Find More Posts by alexGuz
Last edited by alexGuz; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:13 PM
Really, I meant to do that...
Pensacola, Fl.
Joined Feb 2008
265 Posts
Quote:
- the jerk said "yea, I saw what you did, but didn't understand it". My 7 year old girl watched me test it and understood what I was doing.

DAG

Designing and building an R/C B-36D, $$$... Having a seven year old daughter who is enjoying her Dad's project, priceless!
CKD315 is offline Find More Posts by CKD315
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:10 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexGuz View Post
Nice work in 3D I wish I can do the same, I just have a question how did you got the shape of the formers in 3D, do you have the real shapes form the real one or did you used something else?, one day I got a 3D design from a site that sell 3D models and I asked to my friend to help me in order to get the formers and he did it using Rhino it was spectacular in 3 minutes he sent me the formers in cad.
Alex
If you have a 3D model, most 3D software can pull bulkheads from the 3D model. That is what I did.

I make my 3D models from 2D and pictures. The 3D model does take some time. This C130 model took about 10 hours.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:46 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
I will be back to the 36 tonight as spent the weekend with the family at an indoor water park in Ohio.

Some data on a 90 pound C130 if I were to make this the next projects.

Wingspan-260"
Length 184"
Fuse width-26"
H-Stab-104"
Highest Point from the ground-72"
Props-26"-4 Blade
Main Wheels-8.1"
Nose Wheels-6"
Flaps-tracked fowler.

Foreseen challenges:
Motor Shafting
Props
Flaps
CG
One piece H-stab won't fit in trailer.
Airfoil-Wing Root-NACA 64A318, Wing Tip-NACA 64A412. These airfoils are thin, to fit tracked Fowler Flaps, and have a 6 to 8-G wing and be light may be the biggy. I will have to design 100% of this wing in 3D, and then build a wing mock-up before this project could get to far.

Project guesstimated price tag, 3K in development, 8K for the plane. One nice thing is I now have 1 12X, and 1 9303. So TX's won't be a problem. The airframe I could build for about $1,500.00 and by the time the design would be done I could have the money saved, but the rest is another story. I would guess I could have her flying by 2012/2013???

But I have not chosen this as the next one yet?????

DAG
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
Dag,
WHEN you build the C-130, I will be following even more fervently than I have been following the B-36. I spent 14 yrs tinkering with hercs for the USAF.

I don't know if you have the C-130 props figured out yet. Prop complexity will be driven by the series: C-130A = 3 Blades; C-130E = 4 Blades; C-130J = Whole lotta curvy blades.

You have no doubt seen the Palmer C-130 build on RCU?
They were discussing scale props and spinners recently, and a guy is trying to get them manufactured.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...63/key_/tm.htm

Len
lendawg1 is offline Find More Posts by lendawg1
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
Charlie11Niner
St. Albans,WVa
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
23 Years Wrenching and Flying On Herks

Dag: I too will follow the HerkyBird build with great interest. I worked on the Flight Line, Flying Dedicated Crew Chief and Phase Maintenance Dock for a total of 23 years on C-130E and H's. I got to go to the Lockheed Plant in 1989 and see our 8 brand new C-130H's being built. During Desert Shield/Desert Storm we had almost 50 C130's at one base, in the Middle East, from several units - We flew 24/7 for over 8 months and our in commission rate was 99%. There were right at 200 Herks in theatre combined during The Gulf War. I have flown all over the world in the C-130 and have seen some amazing things done by this great aircraft. This will be a great choice to build - The prop system and main landing gear will be a challenge, but I know you will master them with excellence.

Walt
charlie11niner is offline Find More Posts by charlie11niner
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
Important question... Will the C-130 have JATO abilities?

I'd hold off on the C-27J until they get their main landing gear fixed. I know you'd have to make it scale, but that means you'd have to have it collapse on you.
Yes, it would have JATO.

When I build it.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,639 Posts
Ok...
I see a few out there have been around C130 in the past years, anyone have any good drawings, specs, data, service manuals, ect....

I think what I will do is spend the next few months finalizing what it would take to build a C130, or a XB-70, or a B-58. Then I may still finish my designs on my T-28, and 68% Pitts S-1. The later planes would have to be big IC engines and at this time I really want another huge electric project.

Thanks, DAG