HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Thank you Dag, Thank you.
I can spell some words fine, others, well without spell check I am totally lost. On this form, there is no spell check, so I have many misspellings. When I can't spell a word or get close, I ask my bride and she gets me going in the right way. I was given a dictionary to help me learn, I said, if I can't spell it how will a dictionary help. If I can spell it, I can look it up and find the meaning if I don't know it.
So Dag, Thank you so much. You are way smarter than I, but I have learned that if I need to know something I don't understand I ask questions, usually someone take their precious time to explain it to me and I become a tad smarter.
Your build is coming along so well.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,482 Posts
The author is a joke whether he meant to be or not.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Well,
I hope this is a joke. But this is a e-mail I got from someone on youtube.

Hi, Dag,

I looked into some of your videos so that i could see what kinds of stuff your doing. I really like what your doing! But, there can be some improvements. With such a good of a builder you are, I hope that you will take into consideration what i have to say. First off, I have been flying airplanes for about 5 years, so i do know alot. I first started off with a small balsa set that was a bi-plane. Then i went on to building more intricate designed planes, like some of the cessnas. One of them took me months to build, so you can tell that it was pretty hard.

Now, the landing gear design is a little off. I saw how the whole mechanism works, and i think its a good idea, but its not good. I looked in my b-29 manuel and the landing gear you made lookes nothin like what its supposed to look like. Also, your funny flaps crack me up, they are so wrong. I looked up in a b-29 manueal what the're suppised to looke like, and again, your way off!!!! So those are the two main things that i ask you to take into consideration.

You should also fix the

Cockpit
Aircylinder placing
Servo placing
The elerons
both wings
the body of the place

And, just from looking at it, the plane seems to be off balanse. This is not good.

Just so you know, from my vast knowledge and experiance, this plane will never leave the ground.

Thanks, from the honerable Aeromaster

So..... what do you all think.......

I just can't help to understand why some people had a child like this.

DAG
Just so you all know, this was my reply......

Well expert I know this is a joke, because if it is not your a dumbass, and a f _ _ _ ing idiot for not knowing this is a B-36 project, not a freaking B-29. Do yourself a favor and never have children.

If you are not joking I think 5 years of building makes you acceptable to work for the government design and building fighters, you know that kind that has the twirly thing on the front called a windmill.

Thanks, and have a joyous day Einstein.

Well.... what do you all think of my response?
DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,672 Posts
Quote:
A bit about spelling, and I am sure you have all wondered why I can design a project like this, but can't spell to save my life. First thing I have had a huge challenge with dyslexia, 2nd, I have to look at the keys to type, 3rd, sometimes I use a voice recognition program that gets 10-15% of the words wrong, 4th I have spend my whole life making drawings and looking at design concepts and only reading when I need to know something. I have zero college but have a rather high tested IQ, but that helps nothing with typing or spelling. My 8 year old girl can spell better than me. I did read once where really smart engineers are the worst spellers because the English language is mostly memorized and has no core values that end up with a result.

I speel chek as mouch as I kan, but sumtimes it just duz not work. I two no how too uz a speel chezk.

DAG
Hey me too (can't spell and looking at the keyboard)
There was a joke floating around work a couple of weeks ago.
Based on your last sentence in your post.
It was a fairly lengthy paragraph. Stating that we don't actually look at every letter in the words, on the piece of paper, and that spelling isn't that important for anyone to be able to read what is written on the paper.
It made it's argument by misspelling every single word in the paragraph. And stating in it's argument that the most important thing was the first and last letter of the individual word be correct. As long as most of the letters in the individual were there most people would be able to read it.

It was also kind of interesting that at the start of the paragraph that the spelling was close and by the end it was a total mess.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Well.... what do you all think of my response?
DAG
It's just what I was thinking. I normally try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but in his case I don't think there is any doubt. To use a very technical/psychiatric term: Nut Job!!

Keep up the great work.

Jeff
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:42 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
the author is a joke whether he meant to be or not.

Tony
yup
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:31 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Well,

Hi, Dag,

I looked into some of your videos so that i could see what kinds of stuff your doing. I really like what your doing! But, there can be some improvements....

Just so you know, from my vast knowledge and experiance, this plane will never leave the ground.

DAG
Even if this were a send-up it would be in poor taste. Since communication with a nit wit is all but impossible the content of your reply hardly matters (given that you were unable to master the impulse to send one).
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Quote:
Well,

Hi, Dag,

I looked into some of your videos so that i could see what kinds of stuff your doing. I really like what your doing! But, there can be some improvements. With such a good of a builder you are, I hope that you will take into consideration what i have to say. First off, I have been flying airplanes for about 5 years, so i do know alot. I first started off with a small balsa set that was a bi-plane. Then i went on to building more intricate designed planes, like some of the cessnas. One of them took me months to build, so you can tell that it was pretty hard.

Now, the landing gear design is a little off. I saw how the whole mechanism works, and i think its a good idea, but its not good. I looked in my b-29 manuel and the landing gear you made lookes nothin like what its supposed to look like. Also, your funny flaps crack me up, they are so wrong. I looked up in a b-29 manueal what the're suppised to looke like, and again, your way off!!!! So those are the two main things that i ask you to take into consideration.

You should also fix the

Cockpit
Aircylinder placing
Servo placing
The elerons
both wings
the body of the place

And, just from looking at it, the plane seems to be off balanse. This is not good.

DAG
HI Dag....

You should post his email address here so that those that care to address this with the idiot could.

That said... all I can say is that this persons parents should have flushed him down the toilet before he grew up to the point where he could get on the internet, and hopefully he will be a recipient of a Darwin award.

I'm sure every one here knows what that is, but just in case.... A Darwin award is awarded to a person that has done something so absolutely stupid that he killed himself off before he had children and polluted the gen pool with his obviously defective genes.

See... http://www.darwinawards.com/

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:17 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,431 Posts
two words that will keep most people from demonstrating what an idiot they are.......spell check. Two more that will also help......Proof Read!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:50 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post

You should post his email address here so that those that care to address this with the idiot could.

SteveT
Or his youtube user name.

Normally I wouldn't suggest sharing the identity of any particular idiot but this is disturbing!

On one hand it may be a bad joke, or, on the other (and I think much worse) this special needs person actually believes what they have said.
Owen Hedger is offline Find More Posts by Owen Hedger
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:56 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthegreat View Post
Or his youtube user name.

Normally I wouldn't suggest sharing the identity of any particular idiot but this is disturbing!

On one hand it may be a bad joke, or, on the other (and I think much worse) this special needs person actually believes what they have said.
Youtube username:
aeromaster11

I hope he doesn't mean aeromaster II like the old biplane I had 15 years ago. He only joined today, so he created the account just to mess with me.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,174 Posts
Quote:

DAG
Well... I guess he figures the tires will work at least

B-29, B-36, how far off is it really, like 7 numbers

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,233 Posts
Pretty silly, agreed. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. You never know who is on the other keyboard. In this case, it really could be a young child, or a developmentally challenged person that can only ever dream of creating something like Dag is creating. You just don't know. I also get some strange comments on my YouTube channel. I make sure that all comments need to be approved by me before posting, and when I run into some off colour or unusual ones, I hit delete, forget about them, and move on. It's not worth wasting my time on. (Maybe like my post!)
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
Geeeesssshhhh Dag,
Glad I didn't post first, cause I thought you were buiilding a modified DC -3
with swept back wings and six engines. Coulda fooled me!

Just kidding!
Back on here after short hiatus.
Setting home and recovering from a serious illness
I'll see if I can get some airplanes built now.

The full size Ercoupe is resting peacefully in a restoration shop and undergoing a process of "guess where all these parts go back together at!"
Should be ready to fly by about April or May
I have a really cool video to email to you.
I'll send it soon.
Part of it was filmed at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends in Columbus Ohio in 2007.

Keep up the great work!

Maybe you can post the video on here.
I'm not quite sure how to do it, but if anyone out there is a P-51 fan, you'll love this video.
The full video is available on DVD at www.grayeagles.org/
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,989 Posts
I see vonJ kinda beat me to a post of that tone.

I, too, tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and my impression from the quoted comment is this person may be of foreign extraction, with an imperfect grasp of the English language.

As well, I've worked with several people from cultures where one's opinion is given rather more forcefully than here in the States.

On those two points, I understand a bit of the person's point of view. As far as both the B29 and the B36 are long, silver tubes with wings, someone with less exposure to the great variety of aircraft around the world might well make an incorrect identification out of ignorance, not stupidity. (How many people call any airplane a "Cessna" or "Piper Cub?")

Whether or not the person is simply joking or actually acting out of his/her self-confidence is not something I believe can be determined from his comments as posted by DAG.

If one wishes to go through this thread with a slightly more objective eye, one might find many a post where an opinion or advice is given with as much certainty. As well, it has been commented in this thread that some newcomer to the fora will find this thread and post without reading from the start. The newbie may then post something that longtime followers have known for hundreds of pages worth of posts.

Again, I try to "sound out" from where someone is coming before making too harsh a judgement.

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce