HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:48 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Well its Lunch time.

I fell like I am stuck in the mud up to the axles and moving about an inch an hour. Last night I tested the brake systems with the air regulator. Works perfect, but man what a bunch of plumbing. I will be so thankful when I have these air systems done and can get back to cutting wood. With the main brake air tank at 100PSI, and the regulator set at 35PSI, the brakes work perfect. I get about 2.5 minutes of actuation before the brake pressure is below 35PSI in the main tank. The way most people (I think) set up the brakes is on the down elevator when the stick is more that 15% down the brakes kick in. But I a not sure I like that. If I do much stick flying I may be actuating my brakes while in the air and running my brake pressure down. I may have to revisit my TX and see if I can find an extra channel for this to be activated by a switch. That way I can arm the brakes when needed.

Thanks, DAG
What about setting it up with a mix so that it's only turned on when the landing gear is down?
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:52 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
What about setting it up with a mix so that it's only turned on when the landing gear is down?
Rick
Funny how great minds think a like,
I have my nose wheel turn off with gear retraction, I just turned on my 12X and saw that I have Channel 6 open, so I tied it to the gear switch, and guess what, when I flip the gear switch the mix to the throttle shuts off, 120% perfect. I love this JR Radio. So easy even a caveman can work it.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:58 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Well its Lunch time.

I fell like I am stuck in the mud up to the axles and moving about an inch an hour. Last night I tested the brake systems with the air regulator. Works perfect, but man what a bunch of plumbing. I will be so thankful when I have these air systems done and can get back to cutting wood. With the main brake air tank at 100PSI, and the regulator set at 35PSI, the brakes work perfect. I get about 2.5 minutes of actuation before the brake pressure is below 35PSI in the main tank. The way most people (I think) set up the brakes is on the down elevator when the stick is more that 15% down the brakes kick in. But I a not sure I like that. If I do much stick flying I may be actuating my brakes while in the air and running my brake pressure down. I may have to revisit my TX and see if I can find an extra channel for this to be activated by a switch. That way I can arm the brakes when needed.

Thanks, DAG
Hi Dag,

Did you consider a custom mix that only actuates brakes when the gear channel is down? I.E. Gear up, brake servos (channel) disabled. Gear Down, brake servos (channel) enabled, mix tied to down elevator starting at -15%.

This will save you brake pressure when in the air (or at least when the gear is up).

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:59 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Hi Dag,

Did you consider a custom mix that only actuates brakes when the gear channel is down? I.E. Gear up, brake servos (channel) disabled. Gear Down, brake servos (channel) enabled, mix tied to down elevator starting at -15%.

This will save you brake pressure when in the air (or at least when the gear is up).

Regards,

- Birger
OK, clearly I type too slow :-(

In other words, don't compose a post when on a conference call.
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:39 PM
Morgan City/Patterson, Louisiana, United States
Joined Oct 2004
65 Posts
You might want to give the brake mix some thought. Brakes on down elevator came from the early days of jets, before modern radios with a lot of channels. The brake valve would be Y'd off the elevator channel or in some cases actually attached to the elevator servo. Now a days I like to put my brakes on a slider on the side of my 10X. There are situations where you may have to apply the brakes at a speed (aborted take offs and hot landings) in which the elevators are still effective and application of down elevator can get the tail light and screw up the balance. Ground handling can get a bit hairy until the plane slows down. I've seen planes like the F-9 Cougar actually lift one of the mains and end up scraping the wings and nose. This may not be an issue with a plane of this size, but its just something to keep in mind.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:14 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
I was gonna suggest mixing the brakes to the gear switch, looks like someone beat me too it.

I'm pretty sure I can do it on my 9303, so the 12x should be able to handle it. Should end up working kind of like my throttle kill mix that I use for electric planes.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:32 PM
Grafton, Oh
Joined Jun 2008
497 Posts
Congrats on the b-36. It looks really nice, cant wait for a vid.
parkpilot101 is offline Find More Posts by parkpilot101
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:38 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Thanks for all the great comments.

The brakes will be on a independent control, not the elevator. A cool thing about the brake system is that there are two independent systems, one that will come on at 20% of the slider movement, and the other that comes on at 50%. The 20% one will have regulated pressure at 25PSI, while the 50% will have 40PSI. What this will give me is a very smooth braking up until I hit 50%, then if I need it I can lock up the rear wheels in a panic. I will demo this later in a vid.

I am so burned out on air-tank crap that I have moved over to getting the brakes right. Attached is what I got done tonight.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:43 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
And one other thing. The Glennis Wheels and brakes are 150% great. If you ever need any custom wheels call Glennis Wheels. I am out of my mind happy with my wheels and brakes. If you ever need wheels call them and tell them the B-36D guy thinks they are tops in the RC industry with Custom Wheels and brakes.

Ok, endorsement over.

DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:49 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhart24 View Post
Bring it to Monster Planes this year.
What is Monster Planes?????

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:53 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmigpilot View Post
Have you given any thought to competing at Top Gun? You'd be a smash hit in designer scale.
Thanks for thinking it could compete.

I have never wanted to compete for anything in this hobby. Just learn and have fun is what it is all about to me. People who compete take it way to deep for me, plus I have very little documentation on any one B-36 to have my paperwork in order. I have been asked if I would be taking it to any big competitions to demo, and I may if I get invited.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:36 PM
Morgan City/Patterson, Louisiana, United States
Joined Oct 2004
65 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the great comments.

I am so burned out on air-tank crap that I have moved over to getting the brakes right. Attached is what I got done tonight.

Thanks, DAG

If you think this is bad, don't ever try a jet. Once you get all the fuel lines, start gas lines, gear, door and brake lines in what is typically a space 1/10 the size of what you're working with it ends up looking like a gummy worm farm. I really wish I could do installs that were as clean as yours. Seems like everytime I get one nice and neat with all the lines just so something ends up not working and I have to redo the entire thing. So now I just label it all, through it all together and try to ignore the mess. If it starts out a mess it can't look any worse after revision 3 or 4. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:05 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Hey DAG,
I agree having the brakes on a slider is way better. You may want to hold down elevator while taxiing anyway to keep that nose wheel plastered to the ground. Braking tied to down elevator would be a disadvantage in that instance.

Ok.. I'm kinda hesitant to say this, but I don't like the look of the zip ties on the mains. Might look better if they were silver or something. But best of all would be to drill and tap some holes and to make some small metal clamps. I know it would be a heck of a lot of trouble, but any chance of doing that? Wish I lived close enough to volunteer.

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:00 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,642 Posts
Man in the pics the gear looks huge! but that pic with them on the plane they look tiny...really BIG plane!..Nice work!!!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:30 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska2000 View Post
Hey DAG,
I agree having the brakes on a slider is way better. You may want to hold down elevator while taxiing anyway to keep that nose wheel plastered to the ground. Braking tied to down elevator would be a disadvantage in that instance.

Ok.. I'm kinda hesitant to say this, but I don't like the look of the zip ties on the mains. Might look better if they were silver or something. But best of all would be to drill and tap some holes and to make some small metal clamps. I know it would be a heck of a lot of trouble, but any chance of doing that? Wish I lived close enough to volunteer.

Tom
There are no zip ties on the gear. Temp tape.

DAG