SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Very comprehensive checklist. Greater than that of Cessna152.

Love the bit about the wheel chocks.

Rock on.
matthew73 is offline Find More Posts by matthew73
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:27 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Right!
There has been a bunch of talk about checklist out there.

Attached is my checklist for flight, I have one for assembly/disassemble and maintenance.

Attached is a work in progress and I have not had much time to really get it right. Slammed with work and taking a lunch break.

DAG
Hi Dag,

I'm sure this is just my incorrect interpretation but it seems to me that you are setting brakes when the gear is up [After Take-Off]. If you are actually setting them, as opposed to just momentarily engaging them to stop the wheels, you may want to release them in your "Before Landing" checklist.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2010, 08:51 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Hi Dag,

I'm sure this is just my incorrect interpretation but it seems to me that you are setting brakes when the gear is up [After Take-Off]. If you are actually setting them, as opposed to just momentarily engaging them to stop the wheels, you may want to release them in your "Before Landing" checklist.

Regards,

- Birger
There is no parking brake. It is momentary. It should say "Check" not set.

Work is progress.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:27 PM
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,525 Posts
402 pages so far Dag!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
FYI...
Latest issue (Apr 2010) of Fly RC has an inset of a 230" B36 flying at Monster Planes USA. Carl Bachhuber...the guy who built the 200" C-124 Globemaster pictured in the Nov '08 issue of Fly RC.

Len
lendawg1 is offline Find More Posts by lendawg1
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:22 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Carl's B36-B gasser is a stunning model. It is a little unfortunate that its high wing loading demands much faster than scale speeds to be stable in flight.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:53 AM
California
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
Dag, will you have a chance to share your ideas on weight, structure, materials and methods. Many have theories but from the looks of your project you have some real experience. This build tread is as much of a project as the building of the actual plane. I hope that there has been enough feed back to make this thread worth the effort. I am blown away by the scope, detail and quality of your project. If there were a RC Groups Hall of Fame your B36 should be the charter member. (RC Groups, are you following this thread?)
Larry21603 is offline Find More Posts by Larry21603
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:17 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry21603 View Post
Dag, will you have a chance to share your ideas on weight, structure, materials and methods.
The forthcoming book referred to in post #5821 (& others) should have that covered!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:42 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,044 Posts
Carl's plane is nice. Not sure what airfoil he used. His plane on Video looks like a rocket and not scale. If his plane is 98 pounds like advertised then the airfoil is wrong. He should also use flaps. My stall speed clean will be around 19-21, with flaps it should be around 16-17. My wing is 15% bigger than Carl's so mine will land slower. But with his wing he should be stalling around 24 clean, and 18 with flaps, that is if he is at 98 pounds.

The cool thing about going electric is that I will not have anything sticking out of my cowlings.

But remember my plane has not even flown yet, and who knows it might fly like crap. So Carl's plane Rocks.

It would be cool to see them in formation.

DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:50 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry21603 View Post
Dag, will you have a chance to share your ideas on weight, structure, materials and methods. Many have theories but from the looks of your project you have some real experience. This build tread is as much of a project as the building of the actual plane. I hope that there has been enough feed back to make this thread worth the effort. I am blown away by the scope, detail and quality of your project. If there were a RC Groups Hall of Fame your B36 should be the charter member. (RC Groups, are you following this thread?)
If I do write the book (which I feel I will) I will cover that 110%. I am not an expert on building, so say I am crazy, but building light and strong seems to go against 100% of what we learn when we are young. The way I see it, when we were young we just glued the crap out of everything to make sure the glue kept it together. Cars, boats, rockets all are not effected that much by weight like a wing that will stall. If you do not have to worry about vibration for a big gas motor chances are you can build it 30% lighter. 70% of my B-36 is balsa, of that 70% half of that is light economy grade contest balsa, looks like hell, but light. If you took a Goldberg Chipmunk and threw away all the plywood in it and replaced it all with balsa, then make the firewall out of light-ply, and made it electric it would be just fine. Also if you made the spars out of contest balsa with CF even better yet.

But you do trade something with lightness, if you don't know how to land, don't build a light plane.

DAG
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:51 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Bring it to Monster Planes this year.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:06 AM
Morgan City/Patterson, Louisiana, United States
Joined Oct 2004
65 Posts
Have you given any thought to competing at Top Gun? You'd be a smash hit in designer scale.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:08 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
The cool thing about going electric is that I will not have anything sticking out of my cowlings.
I'm starting to see this as a reason to convert more models to electric.
And then the clean-up especially when a large glow powered airplane can burn through a gallon of fuel quite fast. That's a lot of gooey mess at the end of the day.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:37 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,044 Posts
Well its Lunch time.

I fell like I am stuck in the mud up to the axles and moving about an inch an hour. Last night I tested the brake systems with the air regulator. Works perfect, but man what a bunch of plumbing. I will be so thankful when I have these air systems done and can get back to cutting wood. With the main brake air tank at 100PSI, and the regulator set at 35PSI, the brakes work perfect. I get about 2.5 minutes of actuation before the brake pressure is below 35PSI in the main tank. The way most people (I think) set up the brakes is on the down elevator when the stick is more that 15% down the brakes kick in. But I a not sure I like that. If I do much stick flying I may be actuating my brakes while in the air and running my brake pressure down. I may have to revisit my TX and see if I can find an extra channel for this to be activated by a switch. That way I can arm the brakes when needed.

Thanks, DAG