HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,997 Posts
I just recently bought a JR PC interface for my X903. They come with USB connection now, not serial.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
I just recently bought a JR PC interface for my X903. They come with USB connection now, not serial.
That's good to know I looked a the picture on the website and it looked like a serial port and the description said a 9 pin adapter which is how many pins a normal pc serial port has (some older pcs used 25 pins as well) Guess JR never updated their website. Usb is a much better option.
mpotter187 is offline Find More Posts by mpotter187
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:15 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Here is something kind of strange,
The specs to the full scale B-36 states that the MAX rudder deflection is 16 degrees (L and R). I know my 3D throws of 50 degrees is a bit much, but when I look at 16 on my airframe it seems like a small throw. Now it is possible they did this to protect the V-stab from falling off. But at slow speeds while taking off I think I will have to depend on the nose wheel, OR I will just give it 25 degrees like I have on all my other bombers. But every time I set up a model to full scale throws it seem to be more scale like in the controls.
As you can tell I am working on the V-stab and rudder today.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:22 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Here is something kind of strange,
The specs to the full scale B-36 states that the MAX rudder deflection is 16 degrees (L and R). I know my 3D throws of 50 degrees is a bit much, but when I look at 16 on my airframe it seems like a small throw. Now it is possible they did this to protect the V-stab from falling off. But at slow speeds while taking off I think I will have to depend on the nose wheel, OR I will just give it 25 degrees like I have on all my other bombers. But every time I set up a model to full scale throws it seem to be more scale like in the controls.
As you can tell I am working on the V-stab and rudder today.

DAG
Mix I guess? The higher the throttle, the less rudder deflection.

But still, the actual b36's rudder has SO much more air to push than yours, even with its huge model rudder, so it might not need as much as yours. You probably no this though.
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:23 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
The difference between 16 and 25 degrees seems little enough to go with the greater throw for better ground and takeoff handling. You could even set dual rates with the scale numbers for once it's in the air.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:55 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotter187 View Post
That's good to know I looked a the picture on the website and it looked like a serial port and the description said a 9 pin adapter which is how many pins a normal pc serial port has (some older pcs used 25 pins as well) Guess JR never updated their website. Usb is a much better option.
JR PC Data Transfer

It's been listed on JR's site for quite a while. I tried to find the old version a year or two ago for my 8103 and all that was available then was the USB version.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:32 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf View Post
JR PC Data Transfer

It's been listed on JR's site for quite a while. I tried to find the old version a year or two ago for my 8103 and all that was available then was the USB version.
Thanks a ton Mark,

DAG
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:36 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
I am using 9303, can I back that radio up?
Setting this radio up has been a huge time consuming effort.

Thanks, DAG
You can use their ghetto backup program, one of the worst coding efforts I've seen from a vendor in years but for free you could also copy from one radio to the other using just a trainer cord. I also at times make a copy to the same radio, in case I mess up and want to get it back quickly at the field...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:52 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Here is what I got done today.

Won't get much done tomorrow as I have to get a bunch done for work.

DAG
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:41 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,349 Posts
Anything over 20 degrees just increases drag with little effect on normal force. For my sailplanes, I am not restricted to scale dimensions so if I need more control power, I just increase the area. I did a lot of wind tunnel testing for 32 years and have seen this in a lot of wind tunnel data.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Last edited by ChuckA; Jan 03, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: gramar correction
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:49 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Anything over 20 degrees just increases drag without little effect on normal force. For my sailplanes, I am not restricted to scale dimensions so if I need more control power, I just increase the area. I did a lot of wind tunnel testing for 32 years and have seen this in a lot of wind tunnel data.
Cool,
On my bombers anything over 25 degrees just seemed to be a waste. I know that on single engine testing on a twin RC I designed that about 5-8 degrees was all I needed to fly with one engine out. The twin also flew great on low rates (5-10 degrees). The only time I needed big throws was when I was slow on the ground with a big cross wind.

This make me feel better about the 16 degrees. I will set low rates for 15, and high rates at 25.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:13 AM
Rapid City SD
Joined May 2004
63 Posts
DAG,
The big beast is really looking great, you are an artist!
When you were mentioning that you wouldn’t have an airspeed indicator….is there a reason you’ve elected not to use a telemetry system?
Someone standing next to you during your flights with a laptop acting as co-pilot would seem indispensable. Voltages, pressures, speeds…..all right there and available. Or even an airspeed warning to beep at you approaching stall speed.
With your immense investment or time and money…..well I had to ask.
George
stoneb1b is offline Find More Posts by stoneb1b
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:02 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
I could be way off but with Dag tring to save weight won't that system defeat the weight savings? It sounds like a lot of stuff would have to be put in the plane for that to work. Just my 2 cents. But it would be cool to get real data like that, but I think Dag's plane will be super close to the 100lbs mark.

V/r
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:35 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneb1b View Post
DAG,
The big beast is really looking great, you are an artist!
When you were mentioning that you wouldn’t have an airspeed indicator….is there a reason you’ve elected not to use a telemetry system?
Someone standing next to you during your flights with a laptop acting as co-pilot would seem indispensable. Voltages, pressures, speeds…..all right there and available. Or even an airspeed warning to beep at you approaching stall speed.
With your immense investment or time and money…..well I had to ask.
George
Mike is 100% spot on. Weight is everything on this bird. To have voltage and airspeed would have been nice. But with a cubed wing loading of between a glider and a trainer I think the stalls will be so slow that airspeed may be a non-issue, except on my gear doors.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:44 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Mike is 100% spot on. Weight is everything on this bird. To have voltage and airspeed would have been nice. But with a cubed wing loading of between a glider and a trainer I think the stalls will be so slow that airspeed may be a non-issue, except on my gear doors.

Thanks, DAG
I know you have a lot invested in the JR equipment, but you might want to look at the Hitec Aurora for future use. The rcvrs are actually transceivers with telemetry built in. Voltage is standard with other things being add ons. I replaced all of my JR radios with Aurora's primarily for the more robust programming capabilities. Also they cost less with more features.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed