Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:54 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Dag,

Anything we might be able to answer? Some in here use the Eagle Tree system, I have the Wireless Pro with probes on RPM, Temp, Air Speed, GPS Speed, Position, etc. I've used it as a data logger and with the real-time telemetry display, I am pretty familiar with the number of probes you can expand to...

Jack
Thanks Jack, all I wanted was battery voltage with alarm, and airspeed, didn't really care what it cost. But as some of you know by now I am a PITA when it comes to supporting me. I would work not with them now if they gave it to me free. I am also going to share my problems with them responding to me at FG.

It is just a principle thing Jack. I just hate it when they have a great website, and great customers telling me to use them, then you getting nothing from them. If all they want is internet sales great. But you can at least respond to my e-mails and VM. I will share with everyone I see as I take the plane across this great country of our how much they suck, and suck bad in my book.

Thanks buddy!
DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Forgot to post these the other night before I went on the road.

My skin test using McMaster Carr Aluminum tape.

I think once I get the thinner stuff it will work great.

DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,183 Posts
That looks fantastic.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:29 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Thanks Jack, all I wanted was battery voltage with alarm, and airspeed, didn't really care what it cost. But as some of you know by now I am a PITA when it comes to supporting me. I would work not with them now if they gave it to me free. I am also going to share my problems with them responding to me at FG.

It is just a principle thing Jack. I just hate it when they have a great website, and great customers telling me to use them, then you getting nothing from them. If all they want is internet sales great. But you can at least respond to my e-mails and VM. I will share with everyone I see as I take the plane across this great country of our how much they suck, and suck bad in my book.

Thanks buddy!
DAG
I assume you'll want the real-time telemetry (display) since you're looking to setup an alarm. The regualar data logger does what you need, the alarm on the other hand is programmed into the display unit, you can set tones and duration along with the different Voltage alarm or air speed alarm (or both) of course.

In the case of making sure the plane is rigged to measure speed, you'll want the pitot tube on the leading edge of the wing, far enough outboard to not be influenced by fuselage turbulence or, as we do, mount it in the nose. We also don't bother with their pitot nor should you, you can use a copper tube with 1/16" ID (3/32" OD) and mount it in the nose, sticking out about an inch (and of course paint it).

So when you build this in, also add about 2' or more of fuel tubing and run it to where you plan on mounting the unit (very small, even with transmitter). While you're at it, run a servo extension to the same location to power the Unit (from one of your RX's) which will not only power it but be used to measure RX Voltage.

That's it, buy it now or later (or borrow one) but set it up to support it now ;-)

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:06 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
I assume you'll want the real-time telemetry (display) since you're looking to setup an alarm. The regualar data logger does what you need, the alarm on the other hand is programmed into the display unit, you can set tones and duration along with the different Voltage alarm or air speed alarm (or both) of course.

In the case of making sure the plane is rigged to measure speed, you'll want the pitot tube on the leading edge of the wing, far enough outboard to not be influenced by fuselage turbulence or, as we do, mount it in the nose. We also don't bother with their pitot nor should you, you can use a copper tube with 1/16" ID (3/32" OD) and mount it in the nose, sticking out about an inch (and of course paint it).

So when you build this in, also add about 2' or more of fuel tubing and run it to where you plan on mounting the unit (very small, even with transmitter). While you're at it, run a servo extension to the same location to power the Unit (from one of your RX's) which will not only power it but be used to measure RX Voltage.

That's it, buy it now or later (or borrow one) but set it up to support it now ;-)

Jack
Thanks Jack,
I will put the infrastructure in there as needed, just in case I get in a better mood about it.

DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:12 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jack,
I will put the infrastructure in there as needed, just in case I get in a better mood about it.

DAG
If not I'll loan you an ET Pro for the first few weeks you fly her to get comfortable with speed and Voltage. Keep in mind you already know the likely stall speed, you can add that as an alarm and have a real good idea on approach if your slow ;-)

Jack
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
If not I'll loan you an ET Pro for the first few weeks you fly her to get comfortable with speed and Voltage. Keep in mind you already know the likely stall speed, you can add that as an alarm and have a real good idea on approach if your slow ;-)

Jack
Jack,
I may PM you if I decide to go that direction, thanks. I just hate it when you get no respond when I am the one wanting to give someone money for a product.

Thanks, DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
wouldnt you have to worry about scratching and denting that aluminum tape? Because isnt that how you made those realistic touches?
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:21 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Forgot to explain, one side is supposed to look like aluminum, and the other magnesium.

If you look at the pictures of the full scale B-36, it kind of looked like this.

DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:33 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Finish looks like a winner to me! So what did you do to get the magnesium look? I know this was just a test piece, still I have to ask... Will you use a round tool (brass tubing for example) to make your rivets on the real skin?
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska2000 View Post
Finish looks like a winner to me! So what did you do to get the magnesium look? I know this was just a test piece, still I have to ask... Will you use a round tool (brass tubing for example) to make your rivets on the real skin?
To get the mag look I used 400 sandpaper and some mothers aluminum polish. If you want the aluminum look you just buff the aluminum tape with polish.

Thanks, DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:22 PM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Well as far of the servo signal amplifiers the more you got thehigher the risk of servo failure probability . It makes me feel like you cut through your servo wire , but i guess the amplifiers are simple devices .What do you know ?? For the surface coating , the sample on the right hand wouldnt fly comfortably because the surface isnt smooth . I would reccomend yhe smoothest . And the magnesium appearance is a bit overkill shiny . But the aluminium would make it more alive or stand out but a great paintjob would create the same effect . But you need the strenght and structucal strenght gain in the layer of the aluminium skin coating . What would be the risks of a longer unnoticed crack in the aluminium layer of the coating . But i think its no superlight aircraft and the layer of glassfiber is "absolutely" enough . And nice job with the progress its nicely coming together.There should be another model ariplane filming it while B-36 is flying . . GL GL
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:47 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged View Post
Well as far of the servo signal amplifiers the more you got thehigher the risk of servo failure probability . It makes me feel like you cut through your servo wire , but i guess the amplifiers are simple devices .What do you know ?? For the surface coating , the sample on the right hand wouldnt fly comfortably because the surface isnt smooth . I would reccomend yhe smoothest . And the magnesium appearance is a bit overkill shiny . But the aluminium would make it more alive or stand out but a great paintjob would create the same effect . But you need the strenght and structucal strenght gain in the layer of the aluminium skin coating . What would be the risks of a longer unnoticed crack in the aluminium layer of the coating . But i think its no superlight aircraft and the layer of glassfiber is "absolutely" enough . And nice job with the progress its nicely coming together.There should be another model ariplane filming it while B-36 is flying . . GL GL
Thanks!
1. The aluminum skin in no way will be used for anything but a finish.
2. I have never seen a paint job ever look as real as real aluminum.
3. A peacemaker that had low time on it had aluminum that was like a mirror, guys actually could brush their teeth looking at their mirror images.
4. If you look at these pics close you will see that the mag is very dull, and the aluminum looks like a mirror.

The one photo shows a slightly weathered B-36, but the rest are shiny and the they looked when they had low time. Actually the AF ordered them all painted silver and white to protect the mag/aluminum. That is when all peacemaker became dull in appearance.

Thanks, DAG
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:57 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,511 Posts
Quote:
The one photo shows a slightly weathered B-36, but the rest are shiny and the they looked when they had low time. Actually the AF ordered them all painted silver and white to protect the mag/aluminum. That is when all peacemaker became dull in appearance.

Thanks, DAG
Isn't Magnesium soft and malleable?

Jack
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,038 Posts
Quote:
Isn't Magnesium soft and malleable?

Jack
Well..... I don't know, I just know that all the mag I have seen that is on B-36's looks like flat darkened silver.

Magnesium - Mg

General Information

Discovery

Joseph Black recognised magnesium as an element in 1755, but it was first isolated by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1808, and prepared in coherent form by Bussy in 1831.

Appearance

Magnesium is a silvery-white, lustrous and relatively soft metal, which tarnishes slightly in air.

Source

Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element in the Earth's crust, but does not occur uncombined. It is found in large deposits in minerals such as magnesite and dolomite. Commercially, it is prepared by electrolysis of fused magnesium chloride derived from brines, wells and sea water.

Uses

Magnesium is used in photography, flares, pyrotechnics and incendiary bombs. As it is one-third less dense than aluminium, its alloys are useful in aeroplane and missile construction.

It improves the mechanical, fabrication and welding characteristics of aluminium when used as an alloying agent.

Magnesium hydoxide (milk of magnesia), sulfate (Epsom salts), chloride and citrate are used in medicine.

Grignard reagents, which are organic magnesium compounds, are important commercially.

Biological Role

Magnesium is an essential element in both plant and animal life. It is non-toxic. Chlorophylls are magnesium-centred porphyrins.

General Information

Great care should be taken in handling magnesium metal, especially in the finely-divided state, as serious fires can occur. Water should not be used on burning magnesium or magnesium fires.

Thanks, DAG