Old Jun 05, 2009, 01:30 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle
Dag,

He doesn't say how the stuff works on the website cause he wants you to buy the 'How To' video!

... geees.... I agree, not a well thought out site.
I gotta admit, that P-51 looks good, in spite of the 2-blade prop.
Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:53 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421
I'll admit...I'm apparently the gulliable one. I read the stinkin' post 3 times before I read the last 2 sentences.

Dag - is the maiden going to be a public event or private?
Not sure about the maiden. I have mixed feelings. Part of me says it will be at a secret location that just a few that help me can be there. The other part of me says that this is about the hobby, and test flights are just part of the build. I think it may be open to who ever wants to watch, but I will tell you, if a VAN full of kids show up (you know the type 2-5 years old that would rather be playing a video game) it would be hard on my nerves. I would not want it to be a tail gate thing .

And I think a few might want to see it, but I am not sure how many would really show up.
Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:09 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Any idea on how it may glide with the power off dag? I know it's probably silly of me to offer flight advice, but I'll give it a go anyway. Remember that 8 turbine model B-52 that crashed? I don't know if you heard, but it's scale was large enough that it had the exact same failure characteristic as the real one that went in almost the same way. Too low of an airspeed, and especially due to a corner being pulled that simply involved too much roll, and it just automatically yawed into the ground. Well this model is mighty big like that one, and perhaps similar in flight characteristics. Please don't do that.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:12 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,874 Posts
Not trying to derail this too much.. but there is a lot of CAD talent in this thread so I would like to pose a brief question.

I have a project I would like to do in the near future, and it will require some intensive 3d models to make sure everything fits well.

What recommendations would you make on what program I should look at trying to acquire? Sketchup is mostly out because of the need for accurate dimensions, but aside from that I am at a bit of a loss. I have ready access to Solid Edge, but I am unsure if it can handle the 'parts' and 'assembly' idea on putting a model together. I'd also much rather not have to build screws/nuts/bolts/washers/etc from scratch if I don't have too..

The attached word doc is a primitive sketch of a prototype of the final project to give ya'll an idea.

Keep in mind here that my major is EE, not ME, so whatever I decide to use needs to be something that I can learn somewhat quickly.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:14 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
Any idea on how it may glide with the power off dag? I know it's probably silly of me to offer flight advice, but I'll give it a go anyway. Remember that 8 turbine model B-52 that crashed? I don't know if you heard, but it's scale was large enough that it had the exact same failure characteristic as the real one that went in almost the same way. Too low of an airspeed, and especially due to a corner being pulled that simply involved too much roll, and it just automatically yawed into the ground. Well this model is mighty big like that one, and perhaps similar in flight characteristics. Please don't do that.
You mean the X-1 and B-52 combo B-52? I coulda sworn that one crashed cause he forgot to put the wing bolts and he lost a wing panel during the spin.....

Or are you talking about the (German?) one that went in 2 years ago or so, aka worlds largest?
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:26 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,014 Posts
Quote:
You mean the X-1 and B-52 combo B-52? I coulda sworn that one crashed cause he forgot to put the wing bolts and he lost a wing panel during the spin.....

Or are you talking about the (German?) one that went in 2 years ago or so, aka worlds largest?
I think he's referring to the real one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVaAV...eature=related

James
Deuce is online now Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:00 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Not trying to derail this too much.. but there is a lot of CAD talent in this thread so I would like to pose a brief question.

I have a project I would like to do in the near future, and it will require some intensive 3d models to make sure everything fits well.

What recommendations would you make on what program I should look at trying to acquire? Sketchup is mostly out because of the need for accurate dimensions, but aside from that I am at a bit of a loss. I have ready access to Solid Edge, but I am unsure if it can handle the 'parts' and 'assembly' idea on putting a model together. I'd also much rather not have to build screws/nuts/bolts/washers/etc from scratch if I don't have too..

The attached word doc is a primitive sketch of a prototype of the final project to give ya'll an idea.

Keep in mind here that my major is EE, not ME, so whatever I decide to use needs to be something that I can learn somewhat quickly.
Thanks for the info Dag - I don't think anyone here would blame you if you wanted a private maiden. But as you say, on the other hand, you are "within range" of me and my van full of kids.

Sneasle...the CAD question is like asking the dreaded "Dean's vs. APP" question. I use and really enjoy Solidworks - not for aircraft work, but for part of my day job - I have no idea how Dag gets around in 3DS - or how others can get around in AutoCAD - and they might say the same about me. I've never used SolidEdge - but I've been under the impression its particular strengths lay in mold/die design over say, other types of mechanical assemblies or whatever. That's total CAD racism though and I'm stereotyping big time - don't hold me to it.

And SW is pretty easy to get into...even an EE could do it...

CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,979 Posts
B-52's have no ailerons, just spoilers on the top of the wing to provide roll control. If you bank it over too far at too low of an airspeed you can't correct the bank and it basically just falls into the ground. (I used to ride the jump seat in B-52G's if that matters.) That's how the German RC B-52 went in and the full scale one at the airshow shown above as well.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Dag plans on any 90 degree banks.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:37 PM
Fly it like a rental!
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson
B-52's have no ailerons, just spoilers on the top of the wing to provide roll control. If you bank it over too far at too low of an airspeed you can't correct the bank and it basically just falls into the ground. .
Darn shame to waste of a plane.. pilots will they got what their aviation skills provided
ScaleNVYflyr is offline Find More Posts by ScaleNVYflyr
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:41 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
I know I will open up a can of worms, but the UK B-52 that went in had a crash report created very much like a NTSB report, in the UK that plane had to be registered very close to the same standards as a real plane. The report stated that the pilot admitted losing ordination of the plane due to the grey clouds, wind and the color of his plane. Once he came out of the turn he flew it into the a bank, thinking he was correcting for the wind, and trying to keep wings level, and the roll he had inenvertantly started he got to far into for his spoilers to correct his roll. The crash report is out there somewhere on the web, and I might not be saying it word for word, but it was pilot error and he admitted it. Flying a silver plane with grey skies with just a out line of a plane can get you turning the opposite direction than you think you are.

Thanks, DAG
Last edited by dag214; Jun 05, 2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:43 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Quote:

Thats a B-29 that had the wing bolts out.

DAG
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:46 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson
B-52's have no ailerons, just spoilers on the top of the wing to provide roll control. If you bank it over too far at too low of an airspeed you can't correct the bank and it basically just falls into the ground. (I used to ride the jump seat in B-52G's if that matters.) That's how the German RC B-52 went in and the full scale one at the airshow shown above as well.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Dag plans on any 90 degree banks.
The B-52A (I think) had high speed ailerons, or it was the B-52B, watch the opening of DR, Stangelove and you will see the pilot working HS-ailerons real hard while re-fueling, but you are 110% right, get to far into a roll, and your dead.

Thanks, DAG.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:50 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
It was Gordon Nichols B-52

B-52 Specs:
Builder: Gordon Nichols

Contributing Team Members:
Lance Bell (Co-constuctor, plans)
Neil Dare (Undercarriage systems design and build)
Dave Biddington (Engine pod design and moulding)
Bob Everitt (Tail cone and rear armament construction)
Wingspan: 23'
Length: 23'
Dry Weight: 297 lbs
Fueled Weight: 330lbs (inside the CAA 150kg limit)
Fuel Capacity: 22 litres Jet A1
Make: Wren
Model: MW54
Thrust: 12Lb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuawMl4lOo

My B-36 is only 18" less in span.
DAG
Old Jun 05, 2009, 06:53 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Mine is 21'6", His was 23'

DAG
Old Jun 05, 2009, 09:04 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421
Thanks for the info Dag - I don't think anyone here would blame you if you wanted a private maiden. But as you say, on the other hand, you are "within range" of me and my van full of kids.

Sneasle...the CAD question is like asking the dreaded "Dean's vs. APP" question. I use and really enjoy Solidworks - not for aircraft work, but for part of my day job - I have no idea how Dag gets around in 3DS - or how others can get around in AutoCAD - and they might say the same about me. I've never used SolidEdge - but I've been under the impression its particular strengths lay in mold/die design over say, other types of mechanical assemblies or whatever. That's total CAD racism though and I'm stereotyping big time - don't hold me to it.

And SW is pretty easy to get into...even an EE could do it...

I have also played with Rhino 3D, 3DS Max is really more for making animation for film, I just used it because it was the first 3D software I learned.

Good luck, DAG