HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Dag,

Reading all this has made me glad that I mostly stick to single motor sport planes. I am inspired, however, to go multi motor someday. Probably not as big though. I love the look of the plane, and it'd be great to do a multi-prop scale job.

It's amazing to me how many different things you have to take into account from the length of wire between the ESC and motor to the normal finding-the-right-prop/motor combo. It makes designing the structure seem like a cakewalk to me.

As for covering... I say sheet and glass it. Heavy, yes, but wicked strong and easy to work with for adding scale stuff. And a bomb-bay sounds awesome! I've got a stack of old aluminum cigar tubes that I hope to make into bombs some day. Really light and about the right shape.

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:36 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
B-36d

More pics, the V-tail will have a CF tube not the one shown.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_lord99
Dag,

Reading all this has made me glad that I mostly stick to single motor sport planes. I am inspired, however, to go multi motor someday. Probably not as big though. I love the look of the plane, and it'd be great to do a multi-prop scale job.

It's amazing to me how many different things you have to take into account from the length of wire between the ESC and motor to the normal finding-the-right-prop/motor combo. It makes designing the structure seem like a cakewalk to me.

As for covering... I say sheet and glass it. Heavy, yes, but wicked strong and easy to work with for adding scale stuff. And a bomb-bay sounds awesome! I've got a stack of old aluminum cigar tubes that I hope to make into bombs some day. Really light and about the right shape.

~Jake
Jake,
Those aluminum cigar tubes sound great, got 66 of them . Not sure what I am going to make mine from, heck just making 2 main gear sounds like work, making 66 bombs is going to be something I will have my son do.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
914 Posts
There´s a pretty nice progress, DAG!!!

If you don't mind, I'd shown your thread at a brazilian forum. They're all amazed!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Nov 25, 2008, 03:12 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilian Amaral
There´s a pretty nice progress, DAG!!!

If you don't mind, I'd shown your thread at a brazilian forum. They're all amazed!
Thanks, show this to anyone you want.
I am starting the wing ribs on Friday.

Be safe,

DAG
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
any idea of the size of bombs? I could get a handful of aluminum extruded tubes from work. they are about .5 inch diameter and maybe 4 inches long with an open end. they have more of a missle shape then bomb but just an idea. they are the bodies of industrial paint markers. used to mark bodies and such at Subaru.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:05 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller746
any idea of the size of bombs? I could get a handful of aluminum extruded tubes from work. they are about .5 inch diameter and maybe 4 inches long with an open end. they have more of a missle shape then bomb but just an idea. they are the bodies of industrial paint markers. used to mark bodies and such at Subaru.
I will get a CAD drawing and post it of what the 1000 pounder would look like. I drive past that plant a bunch, my wife’s family live in Lafayette, or is there another Subaru plant? Maybe the tapper could be the back half of the fake bomb.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:19 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag, I have seen a covering, "I believe it was Ultracote" that looked like a paint job.

It was Silver on a P-51

The guy did such a nice job I thought it was paint.
Just a thought buddy.
I say a thought because I have to find out for sure it was Ultracote before I suggest it !!!

I was wondering Dag,
Have you seen the props you want ?
I was wondering if you would be able to get scale props with the right size and shape you want ...

Hey Dag, next time you take some pictures would you mind putting a basketball next to the fuselage for some more size comparrison ?

It is turning out so cool man !!!

Your doing an awsome build !!!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
that is the only Subaru plant in the US, now building the Toyota Camry also.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Nov 26, 2008, 02:39 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
724 Posts
DAG,

I too am thoroughly enjoying this build. Your building methods seem to follow the philosiphy of my design hero "Ivan Pettigrew", which is "Keep it light". It seems that the lighter they are, the much more realistic they fly. Seeing an immaculately detailed B17, for example, looks great on the ground but if it weighs a ton it just doesn't look that realistic screaming through the sky like a F16, to me anyway. When they are nice and light with a huge wingspan, they just seem to lumber through the air, which helps to exaggerate their size.

If you plan on flying this for the public, please be sure to post a notice here. I live a few hours away and it would be worth the drive to watch.

Keep up the terrific work!

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:02 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
DAG,

I too am thoroughly enjoying this build. Your building methods seem to follow the philosiphy of my design hero "Ivan Pettigrew", which is "Keep it light". It seems that the lighter they are, the much more realistic they fly. Seeing an immaculately detailed B17, for example, looks great on the ground but if it weighs a ton it just doesn't look that realistic screaming through the sky like a F16, to me anyway. When they are nice and light with a huge wingspan, they just seem to lumber through the air, which helps to exaggerate their size.

If you plan on flying this for the public, please be sure to post a notice here. I live a few hours away and it would be worth the drive to watch.

John
Thanks John.
Along time ago I bought (already built ready to fly) a Ziroli F4U Corsair. It was covered in monokote and weight 23 pounds, it flew great. I could fly down the runway and touch one wheel, then lift up and come back down and touch the other. The air speed range of this plane was out of the world. Being light gave me many options. Then right after the AMA field open I saw a B-17 with about a 100” wing that weight 41 pounds, the airfoil had a very sharp leading edge, I knew by looking at the wing it was going to be a hot bird. After about 2 hours of the guy trying to get all 4 motors running at the same time (don’t think he did any bench testing) he took it to the air, lucky for him he was a great pilot, it flew like a heavy F-104. It looked like it was going to pull the wings of it. Well the landing (which had 3 from big bounces) did not hurt the plane, must have been all that epoxy that took it up to 41 pounds). The films I have seen of the B-36 was first you felt it, then you saw it, then it took awhile for it to get to you, then you watch as it flew of over the horizon, because of it sheer size it looked like it was really fly slow. Even at 75 pounds this plane will still have a wing load of 28 Oz. All my Calcs show a stall speed (clean) of around 19mph, and with flaps of about 16mph. Now that is slow and I bet it looks like it is not even moving at that speed. If she comes out straight and flies like I hope she does then she will make shallow huge banks and just chug along like the huge bird she once was. With being electric I know the motors will run, with the light wing load she should fly great and scale.

And when it comes to the first flight I may do that with a small group of on-lookers, but having to many may add to the KCPM “knees cycles per minute”. I am sure my knees will be a shaking.

I am 99.95% sure I will be doing my test flying at the AMA field in Muncie. Just about 50 minutes up the road from me.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
DAG,

John
After spending some time at Ivan's site his wing loads are very good. Cool link, thanks!

DAG
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:48 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
724 Posts
DAG,

Not trying to take time away from the Big 36 but be sure to check out all the Ivan builds complied in LukeZ's thread here.

Ivan has quite a following...myself included!

"Light is Right!"

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:22 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Need some help help finding a 10th scale crew, my plane comes out to being 10.73% of the real B-36D, does everyone think a 10th scale pilot will work, if so are there any full body 10th scale pilots out there.

Also a few more fuse pics, started adding some skin and sub-stringers.

Thanks, DAG
Last edited by dag214; Nov 27, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag, I think 10th scale sounds about the size of the new type GI Joes doesnt it ?

Arent they about 6 or 7 inch tall ?

I'm not sure but I'll look at Walmart...

I'll probably go tomarrow..

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar