SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:34 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
OK all,
Here is a question.
I have been told not to go longer than 16" on the Battey side of my ESC, and that I can go as far as 30" on the motor side of the ESC. Has anyone gone longer than the 30"? At this time it looks like I am going to direct drive on a shaft a AXI 5320/34 turnning a 3 blade 19" prop. Ecalc shows about 40 amps on a 8 cell.

In a attemp to keep CG correct and weight on goal I would like to put my flight packs as far forward in the wing as I can go.
Ignore the green lines in the CAD pic as I was just see how I may run wire in different set-ups.

Thanks all,
DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
You can go with longer battery leads if you add some more spike suppressing capacitors, or if you go with larger ESCs than needed, in both amp and volt capacity.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523

I would put the batteries where you need to and adjust the EScs as needed.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:50 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
You can go with longer battery leads if you add some more spike suppressing capacitors, or if you go with larger ESCs than needed, in both amp and volt capacity.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523

I would put the batteries where you need to and adjust the EScs as needed.
Thanks a ton.
Is there a max between the ESC and motor???

DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:47 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Are you sure it's big enough?

Good luck!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:49 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
May I first say I think this is an absolutely awesome project. I love your drawings and animations, and of course the model itself is beyond impressive.

I'd like to ask a question, though. I'm also designing a plane right now in CAD which is much bigger than anything I've ever built before but still only about 1/4 the size of yours in terms of wingspan. Anyway, I want to make the outer wing panels removable so I can transport the plane easily. I see yours will be able to break down for transportation, and it has tubes to keep alignment correct, but I was wondering what you will be using to secure everything. For example, after you slide the wing panels onto the tubes, do you have nuts and bolts somewhere to keep everything secure, or do you use some other method?

Thanks,
Dan
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
May I first say I think this is an absolutely awesome project. I love your drawings and animations, and of course the model itself is beyond impressive.

I'd like to ask a question, though. I'm also designing a plane right now in CAD which is much bigger than anything I've ever built before but still only about 1/4 the size of yours in terms of wingspan. Anyway, I want to make the outer wing panels removable so I can transport the plane easily. I see yours will be able to break down for transportation, and it has tubes to keep alignment correct, but I was wondering what you will be using to secure everything. For example, after you slide the wing panels onto the tubes, do you have nuts and bolts somewhere to keep everything secure, or do you use some other method?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,
I will post soon how that will work, I just finished the attacment drawings and I need to put it into 3D. Basicly there is a hatch on the bottom of the wing where they meet and a through bolt goes thru the ribs attaching them, they are beefed up to hold the stress.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Well it is 110% a fact.

I will be powering this bird with this system.

Hacker A60-16L
HackerMaster 77amp ESC
8S-5000mah pack by ThunderPower
3blade 20x14 prop

Sean and his team at Hacker are the greatest. They actually look into what systems have worked in the past for specific projects and how they preformed. This is going to be one really cool project. And with this set-up I will be able to have great cruise power and great reserve power.

DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:56 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
B-36d

Wanted to share what is making this all possible. And how I have gotten this far. I have gotten a few PM asking how I got this far with this project by myself. I fact it has been a team effort.

Software:
Cad used-AutoCAD, and IntelliCAD
3D system-3dsMax
Rib generation software-Compufoil3D
Electronic calculation- ElectriCalc
CG estimating software- ElectriCalc cg estimator
Flight Sim-X-plane

People:
Tom Hunt- A huge help in teaching me what won’t work and how to Keep It Super Simple.
Sean Plummer and the team at Hacker-(un-real support, the best).
Larry Sribnick at SR Batteries
Bruce Sanders at Century Jet Models, Inc. Bruce has helped a ton I only hope that with my weight slowly going up I can still use his gear. If not I will use my design.
And everyone on the threads giving their input (especially the team that followed me over from my 1919 thread).

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:14 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Hehe, You'd almost think they looked at my P-40 when they made he recommendation. The kv is almost exactly the same as the gearbox shaft kv f my P-40, the prop is the same diametre and pitch as the one I flew with before I made my own, and the battery is the same cellcount.

I think it'll work great with that power setup. They obviously know their stuff.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
I do plan on making the voyage down the road from Kokomo to see this bird fly.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:04 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Wanted to share what is making this all possible. And how I have gotten this far. I have gotten a few PM asking how I got this far with this project by myself. I fact it has been a team effort.

Software:
Cad used-AutoCAD, and IntelliCAD
3D system-3dsMax
Rib generation software-Compufoil3D
Electronic calculation- ElectriCalc
CG estimating software- ElectriCalc cg estimator
Flight Sim-X-plane

People:
Tom Hunt- A huge help in teaching me what won’t work and how to Keep It Super Simple.
Sean Plummer and the team at Hacker-(un-real support, the best).
Larry Sribnick at SR Batteries
Bruce Sanders at Century Jet Models, Inc. Bruce has helped a ton I only hope that with my weight slowly going up I can still use his gear. If not I will use my design.
And everyone on the threads giving their input (especially the team that followed me over from my 1919 thread).

Thanks, DAG
One more-Mike at Graph Tech Inc. for getting me all the carbon fiber tubing I need.

DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Now for something completely different.
After redoing my calcs with the Hacker set-up there is no way to build this airplane less than 55 pounds, now it may still be possible but this plane needs to hold up to everyday wear and tear. Making it to light may make it a maintenance nightmare. At this point all my calcs show this plane at 58.9 pounds (could be 75 with better scale detail). So where I am now is should I bite the bullet and know I will go over and put a better more scale finish on the beast.

So my question is:
Glass her (every time I have done this it looks great but is very heavy).
Koverall (I have great luck getting a good finish, but still a bit heavy).
Film like planned.
Or something else.

Input welcome.

Forgetting the 55 pounds means I can scale out the bomb bay and make her look real good and drop 66 scale fake bombs, the real one could carry 132 each 500 pounders, 65 will be hard enough.

Thanks all,

DAG
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:47 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
I dont know yet Dag !

I have to think on it !!...lol lol lol...

you know I like Scale though that is for sure !!!...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
With the Hacker system from my estimates is around 150W/lb

Kinda over the top for a multi engine bomber don't ya think?

If you sacrificed scale prop size for something a little more managable ( say 17x12 -2 blade) you would get away with a lot less power.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:30 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
With the Hacker system from my estimates is around 150W/lb

Kinda over the top for a multi engine bomber don't ya think?

If you sacrificed scale prop size for something a little more managable ( say 17x12 -2 blade) you would get away with a lot less power.

Heather
Thanks Heather, but a project that is already going to be pushing 9K needs to have scale props, the B-36D setting on the ramp as the sun is coming up for another day of missions might look kinda funny with 2 bladed props and 17" instead of 20" Not sure the USSR would be scared of her with 2 bladed props. . After all she was designed to prevent a nuke war , I know I will have way to much power, but all the electrics I have flown are over powered, I only use about 60% for take off, and about 45% for just flying around. I also think it is going to look really cool with the 6 3 bladed big props with a high pitch turnning the lower rpm's (kinda like the real one).

Believe me I have lost my mind on the power system, but have landed on the scale look and size. Once I make the props look more like B-36 props I will need this much power to turn them.

Thanks, DAG
Last edited by dag214; Nov 25, 2008 at 05:38 AM.