HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynterhawk
Dag, this thread is about allowing all of us to share in your masterfull build of a truly spectacular bird. Did I say masterfull? Yes I did, master of woodworking, metal working, mechanics, answerer of the "how the hell am I gunna do that?" problem....I could go on but I am sure I speak for most of us lurkers who check in on a regular basis to see your progress when I say this is one of the most enjoyable and informative threads on the board and I would fly to Indiana to see the maiden if I could afford it so keep it up

Peace

Paul

Did I mention the patience of a flock of nuns?
Thanks for the very generous comments.

I feel compelled to say something, then, hopefully everyone can just have fun here and understand my way of looking at this thread.

When AlexanderB posted about his DC-6 I posted that I wanted him to show more about his plane, I think anything we share about our projects is great, that is the key word our projects. The work AlexanderB is doing is great.

It does take some effort for me to take all the pictures, and then get them sized to work on here and Flying Giants. I have had many of you post great stuff, I have had people e-mail me that I should build a Goblin for my B-36D. I love all the input, but as I said earlier, it would be about a project. What really kills me is people that give input that don't build. That is why I left RCU, I had a guy actually telling how to finish my plane if I bought his product, but this charter must have never built a plane in his life. I am lucky here that so far I am not having anyone pimp their stuff to me. But please give input if you think it helps, I just don't like experts that have never built.

Oh well enough said. If you want to post anything about your project if you feel that it might help me with my B-36, post away. Or, if I have helped anyone with a challenge they have had with a project post away. But if you want to tell me congress is going to tax jet fuel, well start your on thread about that somewhere else.

Thanks all, and boy have I got a bunch done today on my V-stab, and rudder. I will post pics after I get them downloaded.

I hope you all understand what I am trying to say, I don't want any hurt feelings.

Thanks all,

Damon
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,139 Posts
And that ladies and gentleman sums it up. Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:26 PM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
I just want to see more of the B-36. This forum is my daily addition. I have to open it up everyday before work just to see how you have progressed thru the night. I can't wait to see this alsome engineered plane all in one piece. Thanks so much for sharing your build with us. I know I have learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:06 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
wow! amazing job! reminds me of one of the Russian Tupolev Birds i believe they are called, the ones that carried the nukes..
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:35 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,183 Posts
Hi Dag...

I have about 35 threads I subscribe to, of course not all have new postings each day, but even when there are quite a few new postings, your thread is normally the first one I will peruse. Your project fascinates me, and I get quite the kick out of seeing how you are able to overcome each challenge, and of course the overall design of your plane is great. I must say that I also enjoy some of the "side trips" that pop up, as I am interested in many, many things. I certainly do agree with you that this is YOUR thread, and it should essentially concern your plane, but, again, I also enjoy the other stuff that people talk about, and seeing a link to another page, will many time give me something else to enjoy when you haven't posted anything new.

Just my two cents (which in todays economy is worth essentially nothing)

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:58 AM
Germany, SH, Flensburg
Joined May 2005
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
I plan on having about 20 degrees of throw on the elevator. If the CG is right 20 degrees has been plenty. The ailerons will have 35 degrees, and the rudder 30 degrees.

But these may all change as I get her closer to flying and start getting paranoid that I need more.

Thanks, DAG
Hi Dag,

probably you are interested into this:

click me for scan of B-36 wing and surface data

most fwd cog is 17% M.A.C. 70'9 23/32" from nose
most aft cog is 45% M.A.C. 77'4 23/64" from nose

cheers, Toddi
Toddi is offline Find More Posts by Toddi
Last edited by Toddi; Apr 26, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 04:48 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Been a while since I checked the pictures - we're on dial-up and was trying to visualise the wing/fuse perspective until I realised I was looking at the Elevator stab! The sheer scale of this project just keeps me double taking. Wait until I show the wife the finished product. She was thinking my scratch 52" Tiger Moth was big!....

Now for a little snippet of semi related info...A while back in the thread people were talking about the X15. One of the designers Jim Drake ended up playing a big part in developing the sailboard and in fact still plays an important role in sailboard development.

http://www.worldofwindsurfing.net/en...jim-drake.html

Keep up the amazing work Dag.
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:00 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddi
Hi Dag,

probably you are interested into this:

click me for scan of B-36 wing and surface data

most fwd cog is 17% M.A.C. 70'9 23/32" from nose
most aft cog is 45% M.A.C. 77'4 23/64" from nose

cheers, Toddi
Hey Toddi,
I feel I hit the Jackpot, thanks, this info is great, how is your B-36 going. Have you started cutting any foam yet? I should have remembered that you have a lot more info then me on the 36. I spoke with the smithsonian institute, and I could get a entire set of the original Convair B-36 drawings for about $2-4k. Is this where this info came from?

Thanks, Damon
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:42 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Dag...

I have about 35 threads I subscribe to, of course not all have new postings each day, but even when there are quite a few new postings, your thread is normally the first one I will peruse. Your project fascinates me, and I get quite the kick out of seeing how you are able to overcome each challenge, and of course the overall design of your plane is great. I must say that I also enjoy some of the "side trips" that pop up, as I am interested in many, many things. I certainly do agree with you that this is YOUR thread, and it should essentially concern your plane, but, again, I also enjoy the other stuff that people talk about, and seeing a link to another page, will many time give me something else to enjoy when you haven't posted anything new.

Just my two cents (which in todays economy is worth essentially nothing)

SteveT
Thanks Steve,
If I said this is my thread, I meant B-36 thread. I just started this thread to share my B-36 project as many of my aviator pals wanted my to keep a running log, so instead this is my log, and I can share it, and also get good input to make my dream really fly. Anyone who has interest in B-36 should feel free to support and contribute. Really any bomber falls into that area also. Any plane that had the B-36 power plant. I share many phone calls from many people that I have met here, have become good friends with a guy about 20 miles away near Elwood. Many of them love the B-36 info, but have said they think it is distracting when we really part from anything that is even close to the subject. I know once in awhile we all love hear something we would have never know. Like the X-15 designer that design wing surfing stuff (and I wonder at his age does he still get out there and sail, hope so it would keep him young). But 99% of this thread is for people wanting to share B-36 stuff. This site is the greatest because it keeps the threads clean (at least from what I have seen).

I can't control want anyone puts on here, and to be honest people will be people, that is why sometimes things seem so dysfunctional in this world. But in the end I hope everyone understands that I am only trying to share my log with the world of the project I have over 10 years in.

So let's get going. There's no other choice. God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. (from Dr. Strange Love, I have the entire script).

DAG
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:37 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
856 Posts
The data supplied by Toddi is super, but what gets to me is they did all this with a slide rule and hand drafted drawings!!

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:43 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer
The data supplied by Toddi is super, but what gets to me is they did all this with a slide rule and hand drafted drawings!!

L.
You are so right, I am printing out some parts to make today from drawings I did in 3D. I was able to test fit them in 3D, and I know 99% they will fit. When you think of the number of drafters they had to have just to take a sketch to the design table is un-real. Somewhere I have a photo of a room full of drafters, if I remember right there were 250 drafting tables in the room, I think it was at NAA in the 60's.

Well I am off to start cutting rudder control parts.

DAG
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
So dag, have you gotten any magazine writers, editors ect. calling you for pictures and an article to put in there magazines?

JEsse
I meant to answer this earlier but just plain forgot .

I have had a producer from a very well known cable network show e-mail me, then call me. He has been following my build and may want to put my 36 in a show. But thats all I can say about that. Not sure if they will, but I also don't want to share much about what he has said. Don't want to trash my chances .

I have had Zero people from any of the RC mags or our industry contact me. I would think a 257", 90 pound, electric bomber would spark something. I think they are all looking for paying adds. I got a e-mail from a guy that said he contacted one of the RC industry mags about my project and they blew him off.

Oh well, I am not really looking for much PR anyway. I just like the fact that I have gotten so many e-mails from younger people that say they want to get into planes bigger than park fliers and will be getting their AMA because of it. I bet I have gotten at least 10-12 younger (I guess 16-20 years old) fliers to get their AMA and build bigger electrics.

It is funny how much great support I got from Hacker, ThunderPower, Century Jet, my local hobby shop Hobbytown, Airland Hobbies, and Glennis (and many other, my brain is still starting up). Not one of these companies have asked me to push their products in return for their support. As I have said before, I have taken nothing for free, except advise. If I take something for free, I may feel I owe them something. If someone products suck, I may not be able to say that if they gave me something for free. These companies have showed me so much support and not one RC mag has contacted me, I think they may be in it for the money, but that is just me.

Thanks, DAG
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:52 AM
Germany, SH, Flensburg
Joined May 2005
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Hey Toddi,
I feel I hit the Jackpot, thanks, this info is great, how is your B-36 going. Have you started cutting any foam yet? I should have remembered that you have a lot more info then me on the 36. I spoke with the smithsonian institute, and I could get a entire set of the original Convair B-36 drawings for about $2-4k. Is this where this info came from?

Thanks, Damon
Hi Dag,

i stopped my B-36 for a moment, because i am finishing my Arado234 now. I have crashed my last flyworthy plane recently because of a bee sitting on my hand, bad reflex. The Ar-234 is almost ready to fly, so i will have something to fly again for the weekend.

Smithonian made me the same $4k offer, but they have blueprints of the B-36 Flutter or wind tunnel model for $100,- to $300,-. depending on how much you will receive. But you have to ask especially for flutter model data. This was my source. Fantastic datas for an rc-model. Unfortunately it's hard to get everything together complete from them, very fragmented. And be careful, even the convair data sometimes contains little errors. Made me lots of headache. I was able to complete it with data from another guy in the States, who's father was flight engineer on the B-36. Met him in a cold war forum. Although they look different, they are from the same source. Match perfectly together. As well i have some landing gear geometries in different scales.

Let me know, what data you need. I will see if i can help you out.

The $4000,- blueprints aren't worth a lot to us i believe. It's the real plane. You probably would spend hundreds of hours to get the required data out of it. If i would be rich, i would probably have bought them anyway, just to own them.

cheers, Toddi
Toddi is offline Find More Posts by Toddi
Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddi
Hi Dag,

i stopped my B-36 for a moment, because i am finishing my Arado234 now. I have crashed my last flyworthy plane recently because of a bee sitting on my hand, bad reflex. The Ar-234 is almost ready to fly, so i will have something to fly again for the weekend.

Smithonian made me the same $4k offer, but they have blueprints of the B-36 Flutter or wind tunnel model for $100,- to $300,-. depending on how much you will receive. But you have to ask especially for flutter model data. This was my source. Fantastic datas for an rc-model. Unfortunately it's hard to get everything together complete from them, very fragmented. And be careful, even the convair data sometimes contains little errors. Made me lots of headache. I was able to complete it with data from another guy in the States, who's father was flight engineer on the B-36. Met him in a cold war forum. Although they look different, they are from the same source. Match perfectly together. As well i have some landing gear geometries in different scales.

Let me know, what data you need. I will see if i can help you out.

The $4000,- blueprints aren't worth a lot to us i believe. It's the real plane. You probably would spend hundreds of hours to get the required data out of it. If i would be rich, i would probably have bought them anyway, just to own them.

cheers, Toddi
Thanks,
I still can't get over how great you drawings look. Great Job!

DAG
Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_man1
I just want to see more of the B-36. This forum is my daily addition. I have to open it up everyday before work just to see how you have progressed thru the night. I can't wait to see this alsome engineered plane all in one piece. Thanks so much for sharing your build with us. I know I have learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks
Mike
Thanks Mike.
Once I get gear on it and here sitting on the wheels I think you will get a good idea what she will look like when finished.

Thanks for following from so far away.

DAG