HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:55 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
More fuse pics, all the bulkheads are in and she looks great. In one of the pics I put a 1/72nd monogram B-36 to show how big this pig is.

This is really coming along very well. every part is fitting just as if it were a kit. Did have one bulkhead not fit right, but then figured out I had mad 2 of #3 and zero #2, just didn't want to fit, after cutting all these parts out they all start to look the same.

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
This is just so amazing Dag !!

Fantastic work !!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:29 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
very nice...
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:12 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,803 Posts
WOW. did you make that from plans and if so where did you get them from. If you are scrach building this then can you make your own plans for us
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:23 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
This is just so amazing Dag !!

Fantastic work !!

Seeya, Tim
Thanks Tim,
I wish my finishing looked as good as the work you do Tim, I know I am lucky that I am a techno nerd and engineering and design is easier than spelling, but when it come to the finish I am real weak. But I also know I have to save weight. It is funny that a friend wanted me to post this plane over on another site RC Uni-something and everyone is an expert. They think I am nut for not finishing this like a Top-Gun plane. When in fact I want a good solid design that is a blast to fly. It was siad that if I use any film and paint that my plane will look like a big grey natural gas tank. LOL

Take care, DAG
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:27 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
WOW. did you make that from plans and if so where did you get them from. If you are scrach building this then can you make your own plans for us
I have spent over 10 years and this airframe has seen 6 generations of re-design until I got good working drawings. I can scale this bird to what ever size you want. When finished and updated that drawings will be good enough for a good/really good scratch builder. I will share these drrawings with anyone who would want them.

DAG
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
~~ and everyone is an expert. They think I am nut for not finishing this like a Top-Gun plane. When in fact I want a good solid design that is a blast to fly. It was said that if I use any film and paint that my plane will look like a big grey natural gas tank. LOL

Take care, DAG
Dag:
Not so.
There's a guy posting his DC-9 in the Electric jets forum. I've been watching it for a number of years now and his project is just stunning.
He has just recently started the covering.
He is using film and it looks just fine
A couple of Nose shots the wing tail and an over-all shot of the airplane C/G checking
Check it out he's been using iron on covering on his DC-9. It's better than I could ever do. It's proof that you don't need to add 5 lbs of fiber-glass and paint to have a good looking model.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Last edited by RiBell; Nov 23, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:29 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
Dag:
Not so.
There's a guy posting his DC-9 in the Electric jets forum. I've been watching it for a number of years now and his project is just stunning.
He has just recently started the covering.
He is using film and it looks just fine
A couple of Nose shots the wing tail and an overall shot of the plane C/G checking
Check it out he's been using iron on covering on his DC-9. It's better than I could ever do. It's proof that you don't need to add 5 lbs of fiber-glass and paint to have a good looking model.
Rick
Rick, thanks, you-D-man.
Now everyone acts like my project is remarkable, well it is just cool, that guys DC-9 is out of this world. He is a true craftsman.
I know my knees will be skaking and 3000 rpm, but man could you fly that DC-9
Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tim,
I wish my finishing looked as good as the work you do Tim, I know I am lucky that I am a techno nerd and engineering and design is easier than spelling, but when it come to the finish I am real weak. But I also know I have to save weight. It is funny that a friend wanted me to post this plane over on another site RC Uni-something and everyone is an expert. They think I am nut for not finishing this like a Top-Gun plane. When in fact I want a good solid design that is a blast to fly. It was siad that if I use any film and paint that my plane will look like a big grey natural gas tank. LOL

Take care, DAG
Wow Dag !!
Comeing from you that is probably one of the best compliments I ever had but to tell the truth I think your finnishing turns out pretty darn good buddy !!!...lol...
Your 1919 just looks like it was brought back from that time !!
And I havnt looked at your website in a while but I remember everything on there was really impressive, especially your Pitt's !!!
But thanks man, that was nice of you !!

Wow, I cant beleive there is someone out there dissing your B36 !!!
I think all your ideas are great !!!
And I think your covering idea is fine !!!

That DC9 that Rick posted is awsome with covering isnt it !!!

Your's will too !!!...

Seeya guy's, Tim
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:33 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Rick, thanks, you-D-man.
Now everyone acts like my project is remarkable, well it is just cool, that guys DC-9 is out of this world. He is a true craftsman.
Thanks, DAG
I know I couldnt Dag !!!

Besides my skill level, I would physically have a heart attach as soon as I throttled up !!

That goes for your plane too !!!...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:23 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,756 Posts
Quote:
~~ that guys DC-9 is out of this world. He is a true craftsman.
Thanks, DAG
I've been following the DC-9 thread for about 3-4 years. Watching in shear amazement.
I'll be watching your B-36D as well. As it's pretty cool as well.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,452 Posts
I should think that weight shouldn't be that much of a problem B-36's were more than a little overwinged with huge lifting power. I have also been tracking this thread for a little while and it amazes me. One slight question does this beast have flaps and oleos for the landing gear? I would think that with that much mass it would put a hell of a shock through the airframe when it comes down.
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008
I should think that weight shouldn't be that much of a problem B-36's were more than a little overwinged with huge lifting power. I have also been tracking this thread for a little while and it amazes me. One slight question does this beast have flaps and oleos for the landing gear? I would think that with that much mass it would put a hell of a shock through the airframe when it comes down.
Yes she has flaps.
The weight thing is only to stay under 55 pounds.
The gear strut works like this:
2 B-36 test main r gear 002.avi (0 min 8 sec)

It does have a shock but works with a pivot device.
Have to add a note the front wheel hits first in this video, when the plane lands with the nose at around 5 degrees the wheels hit about at the same time.
Thanks, DAG
Last edited by dag214; Nov 23, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,021 Posts
B-36 Peacemaker main gear.

Attached are some stills of how the gear works

DAG
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas