SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:25 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
I can't wait to see the finnished result.

Can anyone tell me of plans for an EDF B-52
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:28 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
I can't wait to see the finnished result.

Can anyone tell me of plans for an EDF B-52
If all goes as planned it looks now that I may have the 36 flying by late March, so far it is going much faster than I thought it would. Money might be what slows me down.

I have seen some plans for a B-52 at: http://myunclewillies.com/about4.html2.html
Look at the bottom. I have really wanted to make a 200" B-52, but I have not 100% gotten the electric prop thing figured out yet. To design a 8 engine EDF would be a huge project to tackel, if the 36 comes in 6 pounds under weight I thought of putting 4 EDF on her, that way I would have 6 a turnning and 4 a screaming .

Unclewillies plans are hot and cold, some planes are great, and some are really old and you have to re-design 85% of it to work.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:13 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
thanks for the plans site.

The edf's on the 36 sounds a really good idea

what ever you do you must out lots of videos of the 36 all over the web
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:21 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Well I am back to work on the 36. Attached are links to my gear test animations.

I will be using 2 HS-7955Tg, thats 666 Oz, This way I won't be getting the plopping down like you get with air, also being digital I can set the speed for a retract of 25 seconds.

DAG

After the video plays you can click it again to go to the youtube then play it in high quality.
1 B-36 Peacemaker test main r gear.avi (0 min 13 sec)

2 B-36 Peacemaker test main r gear 001.avi (0 min 13 sec)

3 B-36 Peacemaker test main r gear with Nac.avi (0 min 13 sec)
Last edited by dag214; Nov 21, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:37 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
884 Posts
wow thats cool
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Nice!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:52 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
25 seconds is a long time for gear deployment but this is awesome.

Have you thought about making the joint closest to the landing gear rotate slightly past 180 degrees and putting a stop by it to keep it from over rotating. That would drive forces from a crosswind/sideslip landing into the stop instead of possibly back into the servos. You would probably only need to go a few degrees past 180. With no stop that joint has to be kept and a nearly perfect 180 degrees to drive forces into the bellcrank pivot.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalt822
25 seconds is a long time for gear deployment but this is awesome.

Have you thought about making the joint closest to the landing gear rotate slightly past 180 degrees and putting a stop by it to keep it from over rotating. That would drive forces from a crosswind/sideslip landing into the stop instead of possibly back into the servos. You would probably only need to go a few degrees past 180. With no stop that joint has to be kept and a nearly perfect 180 degrees to drive forces into the bellcrank pivot.
It may be hard to see but that is just what is happening. With the gear down the actuating arm has a flat spot that locks when pushed into postion, when the gear is up the push rod arm is at zero degrees axis to the servo pivot point, that is the locking in the up postion. The travel is 185 degrees. It is hard to see, but there is zero load on the servos once it is either 110% up or 110% down. 25 secounds is scale to the real B-36.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
I figured you had that covered, just wanted to see how you accounted for it.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:59 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalt822
I figured you had that covered, just wanted to see how you accounted for it.
Thanks for your info, I may still miss things that someone can help me with. I welcome all comments. I had designed this method for my B-29 but could not keep the weight down enough so the servos would not be working to hard. With the a CF tube for the strut I think I will be fine. If this does not work the gear mount foot print is that of the Centry gear design.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:37 AM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag !!

That is so cool !!!!

Dag, I dont know anything about these animation video test's or any of your computer skill's to tell the truth...

Does the retract video work just as the real stuff that you will have to fabricate ?

What I mean is, If you copy in size and all just what you have drawn in the animation will it work exactly the same or will you have to perfect on it a bit more ?

I have another stupid question, I hope you dont mind...
Do they just use the jet engines for take off and then turn them off once in flight ?

Also I wonder why they didnt design the jet engines a little closer to the fuselage ?
It just seems as if they could have pushed better there rather than so close to the wingtips...

I barely know how to turn my computer on to check out the wonderfull things you can do with yours !!!

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Dag !!

That is so cool !!!!

Dag, I dont know anything about these animation video test's or any of your computer skill's to tell the truth...

Does the retract video work just as the real stuff that you will have to fabricate ?

What I mean is, If you copy in size and all just what you have drawn in the animation will it work exactly the same or will you have to perfect on it a bit more ?

I have another stupid question, I hope you dont mind...
Do they just use the jet engines for take off and then turn them off once in flight ?

Also I wonder why they didnt design the jet engines a little closer to the fuselage ?
It just seems as if they could have pushed better there rather than so close to the wingtips...

I barely know how to turn my computer on to check out the wonderfull things you can do with yours !!!

Seeya, Tim
Yep, it all works as drawn, I can actually tell it what load the spring are or what load the dampers (shocks) may see.

The engines were used for take off and landing and when on the bomb run (for added speed to get away from the nuke so it would not hurt the plane).

The engines were out there so that they could utilze the strong points of the wing, also because of where they located the fuel system to feed the engines. Most people dont know that these engines were set very cool (rich) and burned actual aviation fuel not jet fuel. The small tabs on the exit pipe of the engine was to tune it to burn cool. This way the plane was a single fuel type plane.

Man have I read to much about this plane.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Very cool Dag !!!

I am very impressed with your animation drawings and the tests you can do with them !!!

Thanks for answering my questions !!
That is interesting !!
And yes...I didnt know they ran on the same fuel as the other engines eather !!!!...lol lol lol...
But I guess that doesnt suprise anyone !!...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Very cool Dag !!!

I am very impressed with your animation drawings and the tests you can do with them !!!

Thanks for answering my questions !!
That is interesting !!
And yes...I didnt know they ran on the same fuel as the other engines eather !!!!...lol lol lol...
But I guess that doesnt suprise anyone !!...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim,
After all the times we have put things one these threads I feel almost like brothers. Ask all the questins you want. I will answer all, even if I have to make something up.

Take care,
DAG
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:33 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Tim,
After all the times we have put things one these threads I feel almost like brothers. Ask all the questins you want. I will answer all, even if I have to make something up.

Take care,
DAG
Thanks Dag !!

Thats a very nice thing to say !!!
And it is likewise as well !!!

Seeya, Tim