1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrar
Very nice Ed !!!

Thanks for shareing it with us !!!

Seeya, Tim

Thanks Tim!
Hey I'll give you a tip!
If you want to invest insomething that pays off nicely, give aviation art a try!
One of the pictures you see here just went up nicely in value and I sold an extra copy I had stored away

I bought it 3 years ago for 400 dollars, I sold it this week for substantially more than this.
Keeps me in balsa and glue! LOL!

Ed

As the stock market declines , good aviation art continues to go up in value!!!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:34 PM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
More fuse pics. Been working a bunch and not much more done, just a few bulkheads. Will try to get more cut out tonight.

DAG

That is so cool! I love the look of a built-up wood structure, no matter what it is. I'm curious, how are you planning to cover/skin this thing?

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:05 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_lord99
That is so cool! I love the look of a built-up wood structure, no matter what it is. I'm curious, how are you planning to cover/skin this thing?

~Jake
Jake,
I plan on just using ultracote, and then maybe a very light coat of paint, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking of a C-130 I made about 15 years ago, it had a 100" wing but was powered with 4 .09 glow engines. I covered the plane in dope and tissue and the put a light coat of paint on, was not real durable, but was very light. The whole plane weighed about 4.5 pounds with a 100” wing. It flew really great until I only put fuel in the left wing. Just couldn’t get it back to the field on 2 engines. I Stalled spin it into the ground. Bad flying on my part should have just landed it off the field.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:17 AM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Wow, I could not imagine doing a 100" wing in tissue! Maybe silk.

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:16 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Jake,
I plan on just using ultracote, and then maybe a very light coat of paint, but in DAG
At least consider something like Koverall...it'll be a heck of a lot more durable and look a ton better than Ultracote. It's fabric, but the weave fills nicely with a few coats of dope (or water-based poly, I've heard), then you can paint it with latex house paint in the exact colors you want.

Of course I'm biased 'cause I like Koverall alot. But on a project of this magnitude...I just can't imagine using a film covering. Of course, it's your baby so whatever works best for you

Gorgeous, by the way! I do a lot of CAD work for my models, too, but this is a whole other level!

Chris
ChrisMH is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMH
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:34 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMH
At least consider something like Koverall...it'll be a heck of a lot more durable and look a ton better than Ultracote. It's fabric, but the weave fills nicely with a few coats of dope (or water-based poly, I've heard), then you can paint it with latex house paint in the exact colors you want.

Of course I'm biased 'cause I like Koverall alot. But on a project of this magnitude...I just can't imagine using a film covering. Of course, it's your baby so whatever works best for you

Gorgeous, by the way! I do a lot of CAD work for my models, too, but this is a whole other level!

Chris
Chris,
I to love Koverall, but it gets heavy when painted, I have a couple of planes that I covered in crome monokote, then I scratched it up to look like bare metal showing thru the paint, it looked really good. To keep this beast under 55 pounds I would be scared of the weight gain filling in the weave. I guess I could take a 1 square' section of 1/8 balse sheet and cover it with film, then weigh it, then take and Koverall it and see what the differance is. Just watching the weight is 110% my first concern, then it looking good, not great, but good, I am sorry to say it like that, but this will not ever be a Top gun project, just a huge cow of a B-36D that will fly great.

The CAD is just lots of hours of finding out what does not work first.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:58 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMH

Chris
Chris, I just noticed that you are just up the road from me. When this is done I will be test flying it at the AMA field in Muncie. You will have to come down.

DAG
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Some more fuse pics, I test fitted the fuse tube, as well as what the nacell might looking like with a belt drive.

DAG
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Nice drawings, DAG!!1

Did you reccomend a tutorial or something for the 3DSMax??? I have it on my pc but I just can plot cubes... Too complicated to me.

I have a couple projects in my mind and the 3D drawing helps a lot...
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Nov 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilian Amaral
Nice drawings, DAG!!1

Did you reccomend a tutorial or something for the 3DSMax??? I have it on my pc but I just can plot cubes... Too complicated to me.

I have a couple projects in my mind and the 3D drawing helps a lot...
Thanks,
It took me 3 years to teach myself 3Dmax, there are some great books on the basics, I will see what info I have a post it later.

DAG
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Why not a carbon fuse tube? It seems that would save you a little weight.

Or is it carbon and im just blind?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:25 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
Why not a carbon fuse tube? It seems that would save you a little weight.

Or is it carbon and im just blind?
It would save a ton of weight, but I can not find any that are 8' long with out costing $200.00 each .

If the plane ends up over 55 pounds I can save 5.5 pounds just by going to carbon, but it will cost me over $800.00.

Now if some one knows were I can get 2 each at 8'X1.5" and 3 each at 8'X1" for under $250.00 I would do it in a heart beat.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:36 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...wingtubes.html

You might look there...it still isn't cheap, but you might be able to find something that is cheaper.

Also, instead of one big long piece, why not splice 3 shorter pieces together? if you had a 1" OD and a 7/8" ID, you could splice two pieces together with a piece with an OD 7/8", that might also make it easier and cheaper

EDIT: just looked at the link. You could get a 1.5"x48"x .XXX tube for 50 about 50 dollars. That would be 200 bucks give or take a few.
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:39 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...wingtubes.html

You might look there...it still isn't cheap, but you might be able to find something that is cheaper.

Also, instead of one big long piece, why not splice 3 shorter pieces together? if you had a 1" OD and a 7/8" ID, you could splice two pieces together with a piece with an OD 7/8", that might also make it easier and cheaper

EDIT: just looked at the link. You could get a 1.5"x48"x .XXX tube for 50 about 50 dollars. That would be 200 bucks give or take a few.
I would love to try this, but I have not found a good way of joining them. I took 2 48" carbon tubes and turn an aluminum insert that was 12", 6" in each tube and no matter what I did I got deflection. If I had a way of joining them I would try it. Maybe by the time I am done with this that will be an option.

I looked at 2 RC sites that sell carbon tubes, and 5 aerospace companies, but once you get more than 60" these tubes price going out of sight.

Thanks, DAG
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:41 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
Damn right!

Quote:
Chris, I just noticed that you are just up the road from me. When this is done I will be test flying it at the AMA field in Muncie. You will have to come down.

DAG
ChrisMH is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMH