It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle
Very nice, I like that quite a bit.

Where did you get them?

I've gotta keep that in mind if I ever build something close to this big.
Aircraft spruce, and they are $$$$$.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:57 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Hi Dag.....

sheesh... you like Milk Duds??? That many Milk Duds, and I would be in a diabetic coma....not to mention that I would have gained five pounds....

You're also a brave soul...I never put anything that has to do with a model on the floor...If I do...it gets crunched...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:49 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Not much choice with a airframe as big as this one!

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:21 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Dag.....

sheesh... you like Milk Duds??? That many Milk Duds, and I would be in a diabetic coma....not to mention that I would have gained five pounds....

You're also a brave soul...I never put anything that has to do with a model on the floor...If I do...it gets crunched...

SteveT
The MD were kind of payment for printing some P47 drawings for a friend from this thread.

DAG
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:09 AM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
The MD were kind of payment for printing some P47 drawings for a friend from this thread.

DAG
That is definitetly not enough Milk Duds for the entry fee alone.The prints were a plus.You never did tell us what kind of Poato Chips you like.
Every one can see what great Enginering and Building skills Dag has.Those of you that never met him don't know what a nice guy he is. He is also a great conversationalist.An hour and a half seemed like ten minutes.
It is funny how a person can find new friends unexpectedly in the strangest places and so close to home.

Thanks for Everything
Old Tom
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:26 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,995 Posts
I have to tell a cool story, as I am sure some of you have heard people love this new trend call Facebook, I think of myself as kind of a tech head and my wife has always been telling me to get a facebook page. Well I did it and it is amazing how many of my old high school pals I have hooked up with, and a bunch of aviation pals. I have always loved talking to the old timers about aviation in the 50's and 60's, but now I am getting close to being an old timer and people love talking with me. If it is politics my blood preasue goes crazy, if it is aviation then I can talk, share, and learn for hours. I know I have a website, but I might just start a album on my facebook to show all my aircraft designs. And Old Tom is a great guy building a very cool P-47, it was great showing him my plane. See Tom is building a 85" P-47, they say it is 1/5th scale which is not true, 1/5th scale would be 97.5" oh well, he needed some blown up drawings for his panel lines and gear doors, so I blew up a few and printed it for him. He knew I loved MD so he brought a few boxes. It will take me at least 2 weeks to go thru them .

DAG
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:39 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
The turn buckles are used as jack screws to level the wing sections.
Dag:
That has got to be one of the slickest new ideas I have seen in a long time.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Getting that wing dead straight before gluing in the CF spars is such a critical step; and, as usual, you've come up with a great solution. I love this thread
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
I thought I recognized those turnbuckles Dag !!!

You be sure and put them back where you got them when you are through !!...lol lol lol...
I love that 1909 too !!!...lol lol lol...

Anyway, what a genius you are buddy !!
What a fantastic idea to get your wing's all true !!

By the way, what do you use for wing bolts on a plane like this ?

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:19 PM
NOT YOU!!
Joined Feb 2009
82 Posts
THE Hunt

B-36D

Convair B-36D (9 min 59 sec)
happyflyer is offline Find More Posts by happyflyer
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:26 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,802 Posts
great video. I love those programes but don't know where or how to find them so i wait for the occasional one on the TV.

I think the world needs a flying worthy B-36.

aparently 7 hawker hurricanes went missing while on a ship to russia. the boxes were water tight so some where there are 7 perfectly good Hurricanes on the sea bed
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
South Carolina
Joined May 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353
aparently 7 hawker hurricanes went missing while on a ship to russia. the boxes were water tight so some where there are 7 perfectly good Hurricanes on the sea bed
I doubt the water tight-ness has lasted this long lying on the sea bed

But that reminds me, there supposedly exists a complete, still in the shipping crate, brand new P-47N stored inside the fuselage of a B-36... no not just a B-36, but the one and only YB-36 prototype... owned by Walter Soplata and kept on his farm near Newbury, Ohio.

But back to topic...

Dag, given all the pictures you've taken to document this build you should really consider putting together a book telling this amazing models story. If nothing else, publish and sell it online as a PDF. I'd buy a copy.
Dogsbd is offline Find More Posts by Dogsbd
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2008
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd
Dag, given all the pictures you've taken to document this build you should really consider putting together a book telling this amazing models story. If nothing else, publish and sell it online as a PDF. I'd buy a copy.
That's a great idea. There's tons of helpful info in this thread for others wanting to do similar projects. Plus with all the pictures, it would be one heck of a cool book. You could even popularize the book at SEFF and other events where you show off your amazing creation.
Mtn_Commando is offline Find More Posts by Mtn_Commando
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Commando
That's a great idea. There's tons of helpful info in this thread for others wanting to do similar projects. Plus with all the pictures, it would be one heck of a cool book. You could even popularize the book at SEFF and other events where you show off your amazing creation.
You could probably get the USAF museum to help you with details and history and the like. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they called you up to bring the B-36 out to Dayton.
ssgtakeo is offline Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd
I doubt the water tight-ness has lasted this long lying on the sea bed
Well, water-tight would mean air-tight and given the pressure under water, if it went anywhere deep it's long imploded and is oxidizing as we speak...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter