Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
WOW!!!
Now that 2 see it i believe that the guy who said that you should tie your self on it and go for a ride he wasn't exaggerating!!!!
What can i say more then.........WOW!!!
I am impressed with the clean work that you done so far and on a such big scale!!
That and only that shows real original craftmanship.
I leave the rest for the exerts!!!
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Hey DAG,
Ok, you realize how interested we are in every tiny detail, right? LOL In a photo on post 1564, I see you're using Epoxy and hardener from PTM&W Industries. I'm not familiar with that product myself. What is the working time? Is this what you use for all your epoxy applications? Will it also be used as finishing resin when you glass the airplane?

Sorry. I feel like I'm slowing you down by asking such questions.

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:12 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,558 Posts
Hi DAG,

Been lurking for months and admiring your ingenuity. My friends, Mike and Rich, are the guys with the scratch built B-36 on the Highflight cover this month. I helped them a bit with their electric power system evaluation and computer analysis since electric multi's were new to them. As Mike mentioned in the article, the AUW came in at about 25 lbs, and we measured ~210 ounces of static thrust from the system at WOT. It flies it in a scale manner, with not much more to give. From the sounds of your setup, you'll cruise at part throttle easily.

Your CF tubes remind me of the two I used for the plug in wings on the Spruce Goose (in my case 5/8" D x 30" long- mere drinking straws for this beast!). They'll serve you well- amazing strength in a lightweight package.

-Mike MacFarland
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:14 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Well here is the first Rib (really Rib#2, but the first one cut).

It is only 1.5oz, which is .5 heavier than I had wanted.

I am using my V.P. of develpment (Emma) in the pic for scale.

This is really going to be a cool project.

DAG

hey dag, remember this post?
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:47 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska2000
Hey DAG,
Ok, you realize how interested we are in every tiny detail, right? LOL In a photo on post 1564, I see you're using Epoxy and hardener from PTM&W Industries. I'm not familiar with that product myself. What is the working time? Is this what you use for all your epoxy applications? Will it also be used as finishing resin when you glass the airplane?

Sorry. I feel like I'm slowing you down by asking such questions.

Tom
Tom,
The epoxy I use is aeropoxy from aircraft spruce it is made by PTM. It is made for joining none like materials like aluminum and CF. It has a working time of 30 minutes and is 100% in about 24 hours. It is thicker than caulking so it would not work for finishing. It is great stuff.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:50 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchnhover
Hi DAG,

Been lurking for months and admiring your ingenuity. My friends, Mike and Rich, are the guys with the scratch built B-36 on the Highflight cover this month. I helped them a bit with their electric power system evaluation and computer analysis since electric multi's were new to them. As Mike mentioned in the article, the AUW came in at about 25 lbs, and we measured ~210 ounces of static thrust from the system at WOT. It flies it in a scale manner, with not much more to give. From the sounds of your setup, you'll cruise at part throttle easily.

Your CF tubes remind me of the two I used for the plug in wings on the Spruce Goose (in my case 5/8" D x 30" long- mere drinking straws for this beast!). They'll serve you well- amazing strength in a lightweight package.

-Mike MacFarland
Hi Mike,
That B-36 is cool. Seems almost all scratch built aircraft come in just a bit heavier than we want. I saw a thread or a website on it somewhere and it looked to fly well.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:55 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
hey dag, remember this post?
Yep, That was 18 bottles of Zap glue ago, and 5 band saw blades ago, and about 10k ago .

But oh what a great day it has been,I got all the wing jack screws installed to level the whole wing so I can align the main CF tube spars. The wing is within 1/32 of being true and straight.

I will post the photos later tonight. Kind of a bitter sweet week ahead, I have so much work to do for my business that I will get zero done on the 36, but the great part is my business is still busy with this crappy economy so I can pay for this bird.

Thanks all,
DAG
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:57 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
and about 10k ago .
Wow!!!!!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 21, 2009, 02:13 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,346 Posts
Dag if you get this magnificent model complete in time consider taking a vacation to San Diego for the Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego's Mid Winters Electric in May. (http://sefsd.org/mwe.htm) or one of the airshows from the Palomar RC Flyers club. I'd love to see this thing in person.

There are tons of RC clubs in OC an SD county and the weather is usually nice. There's a nice Air plane museum in Balboa Park and Chino has a great museum.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:20 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Great progress Dag! It's good to see a well thought out project coming together so nicely. Maybe we can convince you to subcontract your skills out to the ARF manufacturers..... On second thoughts let's just clone you instead so the build keeps progressing.

I don't know how you find the time to balance work, family and this......oh! that's right, who needs sleep?

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:23 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Here is what I got done today.

The turn buckles are used as jack screws to level the wing sections. The thread on top is so the when all come into alignment the entire wing is then level on one plain.

I am very happy with how this has all worked, and after checking 18 points the wing is trimmed level to 1/32".

When I get back to it the end of the week I will then epoxy all wing tubes in, then I will be ready to start sheeting the wing .

DAG
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
Very nice, I like that quite a bit.

Where did you get them?

I've gotta keep that in mind if I ever build something close to this big.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:29 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Man that's genius work there.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:38 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
753 Posts
See you have been sharing your hard earned money with Aircraft Spruce again!!
L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:06 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer
See you have been sharing your hard earned money with Aircraft Spruce again!!
L.
Your right, but they were purchased for a vintage project that is 90% complete that had flying wires. I have 32 of the turnbuckles.

DAG