They have a 5 channel too.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:27 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,535 Posts
DAG, love watching your build, it's on a scale I can't even dream of. FWIW, there are a whole bunch of guys over on RCMF who fly Tony Nijhuis designs, 96" and 132" Lancasters and they figure 50 W/lb gives adequate performance and anything over 75 W/lb is wasted. Ian Walton flew S-Sugar on 45 W/lb initially on 4 brushed motors. 100 W/lb would have been sport category a few years ago, but lipos and brushless motor technology have made us power crazy. If you are trying for scale-looking flight you have more power than you will ever need.

Relax and focus on this beautiful build.

Cheers,
Jeff

P.S. the Zyrtec is pretty effective on colds too.
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
whitsundays nth queensland
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
Hi dag, looking awesome, very inspiring indeed. Would love to see it one day and hope I can when I get to the US soon.
As to the putz that send you the email stating that you need 150w/lb, he got his personal intake and exhaust mixed up big time, I am flying a 11lb 3oz Pattern plane at the moment with a calculated 1550w brushless/lipo setup,( 138w/lb) and I have unlimited vertical with that. You figures of 100-110 w/lb should give it a nice lively performance envelope, and scale should be nice and relaxed.
get well soon
cheers
qldviking is offline Find More Posts by qldviking
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
... I think it is official, I feel like crap. Got something.

DAG
Hey, I had a case of the cruds a couple weeks ago, and three other people I know (one in Mexico City! Ha!) had something like it. I only missed one day of work, but it took about a week to get completely out of the funk.

Not trying to be a downer, just saying it's "going around."

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:29 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Dag, get well soon! I had a bout of something like that about 3 weels ago. Only lasted a couple of days though.

I would bet money that your power system will be plenty adequate for more than scale performance and probably closer to "sport plane" capabilities.

Not to worry, if your weight comes anywhere near what you calculate, she will fly fine!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:13 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Take a break Dag, get better!
Hey don't worry about what other people think about your engineering. Go with what you feel good with!
What you have accomplished is remarkable.
Here I am trying to finish up a big electric sailplane, and haven't got much done and you've built a huge airplane!
But then I jhave been remodelling a room in my house and this has taken up a lot of my time.
It will be an office and my aviation room. I'll post some pictues when I get closer to finishing up. The raw product looks kind of messy, ladders setting around paint cans setting around baseboard taped off, LOL!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:49 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
With a wing area of 5425 in sq and a weight of 1280 oz (80 lbs), I get a cubic wing loading of 5.5. That puts it in the trainer category. Seems like you have plenty of power.
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Angelo,

I think it is official, I feel like crap. Got something

DAG
Dag, they say you should starve a fever and feed a cold. In that case I prescribe an overdose of milk duds and potato chips.However, you need to be aware of the side effects.An overdose of milk duds will make you fat however, an overdose of potato chips will make you fat and thirsty.

Doctor Old Tom

PS:You are the engineer.Don't worry about what the uninformed say.Do what you do best.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
if your feeling better, do you plan on bringing this to seff?
and i think you should get on the cover of model airplane or model avaition for SURE!
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:09 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
if your feeling better, do you plan on bringing this to seff?
and i think you should get on the cover of model airplane or model avaition for SURE!
Here is the story, if my measurements are right this B-36D will break down to fit in my wifes van, if it does I will bring it to SEFF. If it does not I won't have my new trailer yet. It might not be airworthy, but if she fits I will bring her.

I am really looking forward to seeing a few electrics .

Thanks DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
Thanks all for wish me feeling better, I do feel much better after getting a ton of sleep, I think I just got my self really ran down.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:20 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all for wish me feeling better, I do feel much better after getting a ton of sleep, I think I just got my self really ran down.

Thanks, DAG
Ya, Dag that is very easy to do !!

You work at your job already and then you are probably staying up way to late working on this plane...

You have to be because you have gotten so much done in just a few weeks !!

You need to start resting a little at least every other day...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
522 Posts
Sorry no rest for the weary! I'm addicted to this thread, it's way better than "Reality TV" or anything on TV for that matter....except for perhaps the Best Planes programs or the Science Channel or maybe the Mega Structures program! Hey wait a minute I think Dag's project qualifies for Mega Structures!
Back To Work I say!

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
Sorry no rest for the weary! I'm addicted to this thread, it's way better than "Reality TV" or anything on TV for that matter....except for perhaps the Best Planes programs or the Science Channel or maybe the Mega Structures program! Hey wait a minute I think Dag's project qualifies for Mega Structures!
Back To Work I say!

al
Al, your a slave driver !!!

You have to let Dag rest a little or he will remain sick and not be able to perform as well !!

Let him have till Friday night and then he can be back full speed Saterday morning ...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
522 Posts
Tim,

Sleep is highly overated...at least it was when I was in my 20s. Ok Friday it is but I'm still checking in everyday just in case Dag is up to a little puttering in the shop.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer