HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
47 Posts
Looking really great DAG, are you going to have NAV lights or any other eye candy? I also have read a lot about what you think your watts needed will be, I bet if you have full throttle set for 100-110 watts per pound you will be great, after all it is a bomber.

N.
f104nick is offline Find More Posts by f104nick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:42 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f104nick
Looking really great DAG, are you going to have NAV lights or any other eye candy? I also have read a lot about what you think your watts needed will be, I bet if you have full throttle set for 100-110 watts per pound you will be great, after all it is a bomber.

N.
I am planning on a NAV light and landing light system, but first have to get my dang cowls sheeted, 6 is going to take awhile. About the watt thing, I am not sure what to think, most people say that 120watts is plenty, but I got a e-mail last week from a guy that said that 150 watts was not enough for what my plane weighed, I will have a wing load under 35 ounces, and to me a plane that weighs 80 pounds with 58 pounds of thrust should fly great. But I will wait and see.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:03 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,738 Posts
Here is a little more work on my cowling's, go very slow, I am also feeling a little under the weather and think I might be catching something, Oh well.

I am still about 2 weeks behind schedule, but might try to take a week off the first of March.

DAG
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:07 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
I am planning on a NAV light and landing light system, but first have to get my dang cowls sheeted, 6 is going to take awhile. About the watt thing, I am not sure what to think, most people say that 120watts is plenty, but I got a e-mail last week from a guy that said that 150 watts was not enough for what my plane weighed, I will have a wing load under 35 ounces, and to me a plane that weighs 80 pounds with 58 pounds of thrust should fly great. But I will wait and see.

Thanks, DAG
Dag,

Who said that?! 150 W/lb. will put this puppy in orbit. Weight is no object, that's the point of watts per pound, I wonder what he is thinking?

Also remember, I calculated 108.9 lbs of thrust with your setup (when it was 60 lbs. AUW), so if your more conservative numbers are correct, you have a sport-capable bomber, if mine are correct, you have a hover-capable one ;-)

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Last edited by jfetter; Feb 17, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Care to share who said that? 150 W/lb. will put this puppy in orbit. Weight is no object, that's the point of watts per pound, I wonder what he is thinking?

Jack
Hi Jack,
I would rather not start something here on the tread about his e-mail. It is just depressing sometimes when most the people you are networking with tell you that you have a good solid design, and a well thought out power plant system, then I get a e-mail saying that I should really think about my 8C packs being to low of voltage for the power I need. I know he probably has a wire crossed when he did his math, but it is just a drag to get this much time and money invested to start second guessing. All the data I have says that she will fly like a bomber at 100-120 watts per pound. I am sure he is reading this and hopefully will fill us in on where we are ALL wrong.

Thanks Jack, and are you getting really pumped up about SEFF???

I am still planning on going, just not sure if she will be airworthy yet.

DAG
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:27 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,121 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jack,
I would rather not start something here on the tread about his e-mail. It is just depressing sometimes when most the people you are networking with tell you that you have a good solid design, and a well thought out power plant system, then I get a e-mail saying that I should really think about my 8C packs being to low of voltage for the power I need. I know he probably has a wire crossed when he did his math, but it is just a drag to get this much time and money invested to start second guessing. All the data I have says that she will fly like a bomber at 100-120 watts per pound. I am sure he is reading this and hopefully will fill us in on where we are ALL wrong.

Thanks Jack, and are you getting really pumped up about SEFF???

I am still planning on going, just not sure if she will be airworthy yet.

DAG
No, you're right, no names! I ran the numbers again and everything I know says she'll fly like a sport plane. I am planning on standing behind her at least once and feeling what 6 x 20" props moving all that air feels like! I still think the sound will be spectacular as well, especially if you happen to get some resonance from the airframe.

SEFF is great, I've been primed for 9 months already (the minute I got home I thought of next year), hotel room and week off work already done, I'm even making mods to my trailer to get more gear in it! No matter if she's ready or not you'll have a ball if you go, all the guys at this event are e-fliers and very supportive and creative, you'll see quite a bit of war birds as well.

Keep up the great work, I know sheeting is no fun but it looks to me like you make are making fast work of it, the fuse seemd to go quite fast when you were posting pics of it a month or so back. I am wondering if we can get 50 mini-water balloons in her and get permission from the "tower" for a "fly-over" at SEFF, heheh...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
DAG - I was just looking at your latest pics, and now I'm wondering, how many pieces will this plane break down into? I would guess a van is part of the transport package.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Dag, sorry your not feeling well, I hope you get better soon !!

As far as the mystery person saying you wont have enough power ...

Well, you have to remember that now days there are few people that understand flying scale.

Even at my own field I have several people tell me I dont have enough engine on my planes but I have no interest in a nice looking 1/6th scale Corsair flying 150 mph !!
Or even worse a 1/6th scale Sopwith Pup fling 80 or so...lol lol lol...
As a matter of fact I try to fly my Pup as slow as I can !!

Oh well
Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,854 Posts
Quote:
As a matter of fact I try to fly my Pup as slow as I can !!
But then thats just the way "pleasantly plump" red headed guys would like to fly... Of course I am a "pleasantly plump" ex-red head.. (t'is all grey now), and feel the same way... in fact, I was really getting off on watching a vid of the Sig "Demoiselle" float around the sky... Scale flying speed is great as far as I am concerned... That said, I also have no problem with trying to rip the wings off of a semi-scale L-39 if the opportunity arises...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
DAG - I was just looking at your latest pics, and now I'm wondering, how many pieces will this plane break down into? I would guess a van is part of the transport package.
Angelo,
She will break down like this, and the H-stabs slide of their stab tubs. I hope she fits in my wifes van, if not I might just have to trade in my 18' car hauler that I pull my buggies around on and buy a real 18' box type trailer.

I think it is official, I feel like crap. Got something.

DAG
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
sml
Joined Jan 2007
336 Posts
Quote:
Angelo,
She will break down like this, and the H-stabs slide of their stab tubs. I hope she fits in my wifes van, if not I might just have to trade in my 18' car hauler that I pull my buggies around on and buy a real 18' box type trailer.

I think it is official, I feel like crap. Got something.

DAG
A giant scale pot of chicken soup will help.

I don't know if you get Hight Flight magazine but there is a B-36 on the cover.

Saul
sml is offline Find More Posts by sml
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,854 Posts
Hi Dag...

If you have a cold, get some ZICAM ....it will most definitely shorten the length of a cold. I keep that stuff on hand at all time, and at the first symptom I start using it...Believe me, it works...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:04 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
But then thats just the way "pleasantly plump" red headed guys would like to fly... Of course I am a "pleasantly plump" ex-red head.. (t'is all grey now), and feel the same way... in fact, I was really getting off on watching a vid of the Sig "Demoiselle" float around the sky... Scale flying speed is great as far as I am concerned... That said, I also have no problem with trying to rip the wings off of a semi-scale L-39 if the opportunity arises...

SteveT
That was funy Steve !!...lol lol lol...

I guess I must confess,
I do have a couple that are fast ...lol lol lol...
But I built those years ago when I didnt know how fun scale flying is...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:36 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml
A giant scale pot of chicken soup will help.

I don't know if you get Hight Flight magazine but there is a B-36 on the cover.

Saul
Yea, I just got my Highflight and it is a cool build. Maybe the B-36 will become a household word.

I think it is the bug that all of the kids smear all over each other when it is to cold to go out and play, I still sometimes catch my little 7 year old girl with a thumb in her mouth and a finger parked in her nose, then she grabs the fridge door handle and smears her slobber all of the milk jug handle .

DAG
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:00 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I just got my Highflight and it is a cool build. Maybe the B-36 will become a household word.

I think it is the bug that all of the kids smear all over each other when it is to cold to go out and play, I still sometimes catch my little 7 year old girl with a thumb in her mouth and a finger parked in her nose, then she grabs the fridge door handle and smears her slobber all of the milk jug handle .

DAG
Oh, she is going to love you for that post if she reads it when she is a little older ...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim