HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:22 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
That Eternity is rated at 315W max, whats the duo rated at?
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:23 AM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
451 Posts
Hey DAG,
I'm just noticing something. Are those motor mounts normally used in tractor applications? It may not be necessary, but you might consider adding diagonal braces. If they were to flex off-center at all, they might collapse in compression in this pusher arrangement.

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:06 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
I have been playing with the BC8DX and the Xtrema. The BC8DX simply Rocks, it is the best and easiest charge I have ever seen, I can charge 2 8C 5000 mah at once, but only at 3 amps each. But still for a plane with 6 each 8C that makes it easy. I will have 3 of them, or the Xtrema, it can also do about the same, just in a different way.

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:09 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska2000
Hey DAG,
I'm just noticing something. Are those motor mounts normally used in tractor applications? It may not be necessary, but you might consider adding diagonal braces. If they were to flex off-center at all, they might collapse in compression in this pusher arrangement.

Tom
The motor mounts might look in my pictures to be light duty, but I just stood on one (175 pounds of burger eating guy) and it held my weight. And I kind of bounced up and down on it. Not sure of the gyro side loads, but this is a bomber.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:09 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
All,
I know this might be a strange idea, but I have had a ton of people wanting to stop by and see the plane (at least the ones with in 100 miles). I had a thought last night the I might have some kind of open house for 2 days and that way everyone would get a chance to see her. That way I could be fair and not seem to find times for some, and not others. Also that way my neighbors would not see cars over months and think I have become a crack dealer.

I know when she is done I am going to have some kind of something.

Just a thought,
DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:25 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Dag,

That sounds great, I have been following along silently. I am over here in Champaign Illinois and have often thought it would be great to drive over and see it. If you do have an open house why don't you post a wish list. I.E shop supplies that need replenished, glues, balsa, blind nuts.... Or even mechanical stuff to finish the build. In my situation I could not afford a lipo, but I could bring some epoxy or CA :-)

GREAT build!!,
Ron
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcar4
Dag,

That sounds great, I have been following along silently. I am over here in Champaign Illinois and have often thought it would be great to drive over and see it. If you do have an open house why don't you post a wish list. I.E shop supplies that need replenished, glues, balsa, blind nuts.... Or even mechanical stuff to finish the build. In my situation I could not afford a lipo, but I could bring some epoxy or CA :-)

GREAT build!!,
Ron
I am set on the supplies, but if anyone wanted to bring some chips and Milk Duds that would be fine, seems to be the only thing I eat in the shop when working on the plane.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:42 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Here is my 100% re-design on my nacelles, I will be cutting out the cowls parts all day to day.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Fly low, fly fast.
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
214 Posts
Motor and CG question

Hi Dag,
I'm curious how moving the motors back to where you had them originally will affect your CG. I seem to remember you wanted the motors as far forward as possible? If you have already addressed this question, I apologize. Your skills never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work.

-Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Here is my 100% re-design on my nacelles, I will be cutting out the cowls parts all day to day.

Thanks, DAG
mustng1bob is offline Find More Posts by mustng1bob
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustng1bob
Hi Dag,
I'm curious how moving the motors back to where you had them originally will affect your CG. I seem to remember you wanted the motors as far forward as possible? If you have already addressed this question, I apologize. Your skills never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work.

-Bob
Hi Bob,
In the very beginning of this build project I had a goal of being 55 pounds or less. In that design I was going to build on the cheap, small geared motors, monokote covering, and so on. Then I decided to build a more scale airframe and it was mentioned that shaft driving would save some weight. It was a really great idea, but turning 20" 3 blade scale props seemed to much for my skills to shaft drive, also if a shaft ever failed it might have taken out one or more of my 6 CF sub-spars. In the end I have moved my 8 RX A123 4600 mah packs to the front and will only have to add about 3 pounds ballast. The plane should still come in at about 80-85 pounds with the aluminum skin.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,048 Posts
Quote:
with the aluminum skin.
DAG - Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but won't aluminum skin effect receiver reception?
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
DAG - Pardon me if this has already been addressed, but won't aluminum skin effect receiver reception?
No not from what I have read, and a bunch of the top gun, and Nat jets are covered in it. I think it is because of the thin .0012 skin. From what I have read, to block a signal takes mass, or thickness.

But I will do some range checking like no other plane.

Thanks, DAG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:25 PM
Bi-Planes
Houston Texas
Joined Apr 2006
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcar4
Dag,

GREAT build!!,
Ron
What a nice Jester Ron !!

You must be cool as Dag is ...lol lol lol...

Seeya, Tim
Tim Farrar is offline Find More Posts by Tim Farrar
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
No not from what I have read, and a bunch of the top gun, and Nat jets are covered in it. I think it is because of the thin .0012 skin. From what I have read, to block a signal takes mass, or thickness.

But I will do some range checking like no other plane.

Thanks, DAG
That is not necessarily correct. You can build an effective Faraday cage from aluminum window screen.

You might look for a way to get part of antenna external to the fuse.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:11 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816
That is not necessarily correct. You can build an effective Faraday cage from aluminum window screen.

You might look for a way to get part of antenna external to the fuse.

Rick
Rick,
Not going to get into much of a debate on this one. There has been over 6 known test with 2.4 systems to test this foil with no problems. And there is a huge difference in EMP and distorting or blocking a radio wave. Just look up all the other radio systems that have worked just fine with these foil systems. One test used the JR device that was looking for lost frames (at least that is what I think you call them) and at 200' with a bocked cover with 2 mil foil it lost none. And guys would not be flying 20k+ jets if these foil systems had any problems at all.

Thanks, DAG