Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:50 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
Build Log
Vac-U-Tug with mods to motor and drive system,,ON THE WATER TOO,,UPDATE!!

Well I decided to take a bit of a break from designing boats and build one. I decided to build one of Phil Pace's Vac-U-Boat Tugs. I didn't follow all of his recommended directions for building the boat..I changed the motor mounting and lengthened the dog bone and added a stuffing tube to the shaft tube. The roigianl motor tray setup was scrapped for a way to work on the motor and shaft/tube without having to remove the deck as stated in the instructions. The hull was almost entirely built using Polystyrene Solvent Cement and superglue was only used in the hull to secure the ballast cakes. Superglue was also used exstensively to detail the decks and cabin/wheelhouse. I handmade a bow fender by weaving tan cotton string into a mat with loops on the ends which were secured with more string then dyed. The deck winch is custom made. the lines and hawswers are made from hemp and poly cords, the hawsers are handwoven and all lines are eye looped.
rmdesignworks is offline Find More Posts by rmdesignworks
Last edited by rmdesignworks; Oct 27, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: ADDED PICS AND TITLE CHANGE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:00 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
tomorrow is another day

i will post te balance of the build pics tomorrow, i need to sort through some of them
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:03 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
i guess in thinking about it now i should have posted this thread in "scale boating",i didn't see anywhere how i can move the thread,,can someone tell me how or who i need to talk to,to get it moved?
Old Oct 03, 2008, 12:00 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks
i guess in thinking about it now i should have posted this thread in "scale boating"
I think you will find, the Vac-U-Tug is not scale...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Oct 03, 2008, 08:36 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
toesup,
Of course it is! It's just that the tug it happens to be a 'scale' version of was very rare before they became extinct. (Weak, but oh well.)

Part of this hobby is making a boat 'your own', making 'improvements', customizing. It appears that that is well on it's way. I'm certainly interested in how it will perform!
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Oct 03, 2008, 12:18 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
I think you will find, the Vac-U-Tug is not scale...
Oh come on now, you build springers...
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 03, 2008, 01:28 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Oh come on now, you build springers...
Yeah, but i know they are not scale..
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Oct 03, 2008, 07:28 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
vac-u-tug---to scale or not to scale

ok this is going to be my only response to the whole subject of "scale."

to build in scale is to increase or decrease by a fixed ratio, it is not to build a perfect representation of something specific,if it were then nobody on this site could say they build to scale as it would be necessary to build everything to scale,,ie: all enigines and motors would have to be reproduced in the same ratio as the rest of the boat. displacement would have to be exact (within a certain tolerance) to the 1:1 original. you would not be able to cover the hull with one long piece of glass cloth per side then coat with resin, you would have to use appropriate sized pieces at weight with the right amount of resin by weight and density for the build. no more flex cables running from 550 or ? motor hooked up to 2100 mah bats. come on..the thing about building models "in sclae" is as close a representation to an obviously possible 1:1 object. now, with that said, i do not know the exact original ship these vac-u-boats/tugs are modeled and manufactured after but i can say this,,,my efforts have gone forth to build a boat/ship/tug/vessel or whatever you wanna call it, that could sit along side another "O" scale or 1/48th scale vessel and be believable,,maybe not to a perfect standard like the smithsonian but to the other boaters and captains and spectators who look upon my vessel and see the hours of work,rework and detail i have put in to her.

this is my honest and frank opinion!!!! with that said id like this subject dropped as i revoke my question of putting my thread into the "scale" boating main.

onward toward the horizon,,,,,
Last edited by rmdesignworks; Oct 03, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:04 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
a few more details and lights to go,,,

well,thats it so far,,i have a few more details and lights to go,,,plus open water trials,so far all testing has taken place in test tank( family tub),,there is a nice little city maintained pond close by that will provide a secure spot for manuevering and performance testing,,i think ill do that hopefully tomorrow,,,ill try to get some video,and some more pics..i still need to add my deck lights 2-3 per side, plus one bow work light and a stern/winch light. 6-8 more which ill probably use 4 aa's wired in parallel pairs to increase amps while maintaining the 3 volts i use for all the lights. the lights are all wired in parallel,,the search lights are reworked with AA minimag light bulbs and all other lights are grain of wheats. i may actually use 2 1500 mah sub c's for the lights and go to a central bus in stead of the wiring harnesses, but the harnesses do allow me to remove the wheelhouse/cabin roof access with only one connection to worry about. the rudder hatch will be secured the same way as the wheelhouse roof to the wheelhouse and the wheelhouse/cabin roof access is to the cabin. the elastic band is doubled for strength and durability. stryene blocks and opened eye hooks are used as the secure points in the hull and roof/hatch undersides...no hardware to worry about.

the fore/stern tow lights are wired into the same harnesses as the rest of the lights but the are switched seperately when towing. the tow switch is hidden under a couple of stacked crates on the port side upper deck. lift up the crates,flip the switch on/off replace the crates. i may interupt the search lights with a servo controlled switch..one servo with two push on/push off micro switches,one for the fore lights one for the stern light,,if i do that though ill use micro servos for that,space saving not weight.

if anyone is wondering i made the ballast cakes from bb's and resin ,i figured out how much ballast i needed then mixed the bb's and resin in a flexible plastic square container and just split them in half to have better placement in the hull. add equipment,just break off enough ballast to accommodate,,

more later
Last edited by rmdesignworks; Oct 03, 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:15 PM
THORNTON,COLORADO
Joined Feb 2007
104 Posts
thanks to all

i just wanted to acknowledge those of you who have stopped to look at the thread and check it out or make a comment,,"EVERY COMMENT", we all have our points of view,and even though i know there will be criticisms as well as, i hope anyway, those comments that we all want to hear, i am interested in all input from any and all members..i will answer any question i can for future modelers of the Vac-U-Boat tug if they want to make the motor/shaft mods i made.

thanks again,,thomas @ rmdesignworks

p.s. it has taken about a month and a half working on it when i can to get it where it is now. i cant wait to see it on the water too!!! also all paint was applied with brush by hand, the hull and decks/roofs were done with flat black enamel hobby paint while the bulwarks and cabins were done with oil based fabric paints that should be a little more durable and chemical resistant.
Last edited by rmdesignworks; Oct 03, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added script