SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2003, 07:26 PM
California, USA
Joined Jul 2001
98 Posts
ICARE 2.5m Discus vs. MPX ASW-27

I'm trying to decide on a mid size scale plane for sloping (from 2.5m to 3.5m) and have narrowed it down to either the ICARE 2.5M hollow molded Discus 2B ( http://www2.jonction.net/~icare/discus2b.htm ) or the Multiplex ASW-27. The Discus is just about $100 more than the MPX but it's hollow molded and pretty much ready to go right out of the box. I've seen some photos of the MPX kit and it looks like a lot of work.

The problem is, I constantly hear good things about how the MPX flies and the flap feature would be awesome for landing on the slope. I haven't heard too much about the Discus, other than it being a good thermal ship. Anyone have any comments on either one? Are there any other good options in this size and price range? Thanks.
Mattebox is offline Find More Posts by Mattebox
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:27 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
Tough choice!

The Discus certainly seems finished to a very high standard! (love the cockpit!)

I do notice that there is no mention of brakes however... this would definitely count against it for slope flying IMHO. I have flown a 2.5m "scaleish" glider from the slope with no spoilers/brakes, using aileron reflex for a degree of approach control. However, it was always a bit of a a handful to land.

On the other hand, my 4m Alpina at three times the weight is an absolute pussycat with the crow braking, and can be landed slopeside on a fairly rough slope with ease.

The all-molded Discus is gonna be FAST. the inset ailerons can be reflexed to give a bit of approach control, but it'll be limited. Unless you're comfortable flying and landing very high performance stuff, I'd go for something with flaps or brakes. I wouldn't feel too happy myself flying all-molded with no brakes, they're just too clean. I've flown my Corrado (Zenith in the US) F3J ship on the slope on light days, and even with full 70 degree flap it has to be almost flown into the ground! They are just so efficient.

Alternatives? Well if you'r going 2.5 to 3.5m, can I suggest you go up to 3m at least? I find they start to behave MUCH more pleasantly form this size up. 4m and up is considered the "ideal" by purists, but 3m is better than 2.5, IMHO. For similair money, how about: http://www2.jonction.net/~icare/asw283m.htm in the same price range from the same supplier?

Alternatives? Where do you want to start? S2G do very nice ARTF glass fuse/foam wing planes, including: Pilatus B4 3m, (Bought one last week, yippee! Cost) Ka6 3m, ASW28 3.4m. Rodelmodell do several kits in your price/size range too...
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight
Old Feb 16, 2003, 04:19 PM
California, USA
Joined Jul 2001
98 Posts
Thanks Wight for the comments. They've been very helpful. I contacted another guy about the Discus before and he also said that it lands fast on the slope. Like you said, it's really slippery . I was also concerned about the lack of braking power but since I have a fairly nice slope in mind that permits a long approach onto a relatively grassy landing zone I thought that I might be able to get away with the Discus. I'm very proficient at landing slope planes, with and without flaps, but I think you're right that this one would be a handful. I'd hate bang up such a beautiful plane.

I considerd that ASW-28 as well, but I keep coming back to the Discus because it seems like a better value (hollow molded and a nice cockpit!). The -28 also seems to have a very high wing loading, although the installed spoilerons are nice.

You guys in Europe are lucky when it comes to nice gliders. The US market is dominated by either really cheap foamies or really expensive F3F/J moldies or large scale sailplanes. I wish the US dealers would carry a larger selection of mid-range, but nice quality scale ships.
Mattebox is offline Find More Posts by Mattebox
Old Feb 17, 2003, 05:44 PM
Scale Nerd!
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
It's a small, small world...

Hey Mattebox, if you see something nice in Europe, or elsewhere, why don't you order it? I've had a fully built Graupner Cumulus shipped from California to Ireland, and it didn't cost too much. Got a few kits from the US too. If Customs decide to sting you or not of course, that will add to the expense. (Lower value stuff is ignored by Irish Customs, dunno about the US tho.) I have to say NE Sailplanes and Icare both have nice stuff. Maybe the grassi s greener on the other side? (Anyhow, the US have WAY better HLG's so it's a draw.)

The all moldie is tempting, I agree. Regarding wing loadings, don't panic about them. The larger the model, the higher the wing loading can be for equivalent performance. A 4m ship will often have a wing loading of 18-20oz/sqft, higher than some high-wing power trainers, yet be very pleasant to fly, and will outsoar smaller gliders with half the wing loading. As the model gets bigger, you get more efficiency, as the air molecules stay the same size, regardless of model size. (Reynolds number effect.)
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight