HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Eric B.

I've seen a lot of your posts, thought I'd take some time to show you something that made my life great!

Little 2mm prop hubs, 1.5mm hole, made by GWS for the Dragonfly heil. Simple relieve the rotor hub internally to clear the length of the prop hub, drill the rotor to 2mm. 2 Set screws hold to the motor shaft, 2mm nut holds on rotor.

If you can't figure out how to relieve the rotor hub, or have a friend with a machine shop to make something similar to mine, I could supply similar drill fixture parts for a decent price. For mine I also make 'cupped' 2mm washers out of 1/4" aluminum just cause it's cool, but not needed. This works on both GWS 40mm, and 50mm rotors. I have never thrown a rotor since using this idea, used to loose them because the motor gets hot enough to melt and soften the plastic in the rotor.

I'll search for a source for the hubs today, may be harder than when I got mine as the Dragonfly is no more. I've been tempted to make the darn things but maybe slightly different and sell them but unless I could sell enough it wouldn't be worth it to tool up and buy the setscrews, taps, and dies.

Hope the pictures help. If this helps anyone, more power to it!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:51 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Hi Freddy,

Again thank you for posting this information.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
4 Posts
Hi Dad,

Had a nice time flyin with ya this past weekend! Sweet bird you made and it flew great!

JBB
Ijodyb is offline Find More Posts by Ijodyb
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
It's good to have a Dad or Son to share an interest. I was raised by my Grandmother/Father. While Gramps did not get involved in my modeling, both of them supported me. Gramp's taught and instilled my love for fishn'.

My father, before my teen day's, only showed from the Army once every 2-3yrs. But, we alway's went to a hobby shop and bought a few plastics to work on. He was a fantastic plastic modeler and auto painter. I still think of those times when I would stay at my other grandmothers house, during his visits home. So..you both are very blessed to being able to share this experience.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Yup your right, from my point of view the time I spend with the boys is pretty special.

Eric B.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Here is the paint scheme I want to put on the plane.

Eric B.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Nice scheme Eric - I had to Google the file name, no clue that Yugoslavia flew the Dog.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Hi Matt,

It is a curious thing about the origin of the scheme. I only picked it as I thought the brushed/polished aluminum would be difficult to replicate on this model.
I had originally wanted to make it a Texas Air National Guard scheme.

Eric B.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Put the wing tips on the wings, it looks like it is supposed to. I will update a photo next time I fly.
I sanded an aileron a little thin and need to fix that now. The weight is still not enough to worry about but the paint will add some weight. Any ideas on a lightweight finish?

Eric B.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Put the wing tips on the wings, it looks like it is supposed to. I will update a photo next time I fly.
I sanded an aileron a little thin and need to fix that now. The weight is still not enough to worry about but the paint will add some weight. Any ideas on a lightweight finish?

Eric B.
If you can't use Sharpie's with Polycrylic top coat, airbrush works best for me, thin down Model Master paint almost 50/50 and use dual action, LIGHT coats. Takes plenty of time but we are just misting here!

Fred
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Eric does that foam soak up paint, or does it just lay right on? Might need to seal it with WBPU or mix up some of that fancy French spackle frosting like GGRN does.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Hi Matt,

I glassed this model with veil and WBPU. The weight would have been lower if I had not but I wanted to practice the techniques. The airframe only gained arround an ounce but the strength is amazing. I need to brush another coat or two on it before painting it. I am open to any suggestions on paint.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Hi Eric,

Mix up some baby powder in some WBPU not too thick but not too thin and use that as your second coat. Foam after being cut on the CNC leaves little imperfections so this would basically fill it in.

Give it a good sand job all around to as smooth as you can.

Pick out the scheme you want and bring it over my house and we can shoot it with the airbrush. Or we can meet at my friends shop in Sugarland and I can bring my airbrush equipment there.

It will really stand out once its done.

Cheers,

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,452 Posts
Hi O,

Yup I sanded the heck out of it after I built the sides and assembled it. It does need another coat or two of WBPU to finish filling the weave. I may try the mix of the varnish and the spackle which should be a bit lighter than baby powder.
I will get with you on the airbrushing later, I was going to get one for me and Jody to use and it is still my intention to do it when the overtime resumes.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Try the baby powder, I do it all the time. A little goes a long way. Also not to thick either as it does not take much. You would be surprised because if you use too much you could sand for hours to get the coat thin again. It is not that it is hard to sand, just it fills so good. The weave will disappear, as will sanding fuzz upon your sanding of the fill coat.

You might remember the days of dope and tissue covered airframes. The sandung sealer was clear dope and Talc. Light enough back when. Make sure the baby powder is Talc based, not corn starch.

I don't think you will get much weight gain this way. The paint, Latex, acrylic enamel (Model Master/Tamya, etc) will all stick just fine. Not only that so will most glues after the fact, epoxy, CyA, white and yellow glues, etc.

The lightweight filler is a mess and it does not flow right. Also it is harder to sand believe it or not and clogs your paper more.

Fred
Closed Thread