HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
Steve, Eric,

Whats up guys. "Happy New Year" I'm here! Just been busy.....My 9 year old got diagnosed with diabetes and its been an on going battle learning how to keep her suger down. Been attending classes that Texas Childrens Hospital gives us.

I've also been doing Rep work for Global Jet Club and getting ready for Florida Jets with a couple of turbine jets I have in my shop.

So its been pretty busy. I'm finally done with chemo and just waiting on a pepp scan to see if there is no further activity with my tumors.

Steve, let me know when you get some flying in. I'd like to see your bipe.\
you got my number, shoot me a call sometime.

Eric, call me when you get ready to maiden the Sabre.

Best Regards,

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:38 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Hi Orlando,

Will give a ring when ready. Hope everything is fine with the kids and your cancer.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:00 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Worked on alingment tooling. Going to use 3mm depron to align the wing root and horizontal stab incidence angles to make sure it will make its first flight as designed.
More pictures coming this weekend.

Eric B.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:54 AM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
Hey Eric, what up! I'm hanging in there thanks for asking. I'm done with chemos and have a few scans to do here in a few weeks. Hopefully there is no more activity with the cancer. I'll keep my fingers cross!

Get that plane going already. I want to see it fly. Next one make it a 70mm

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Hi Orlando,

I have worked on it a little bit, not like I should have over the weekend though. I helped Jody move to northwest 290 area. I will give it some time this week as this weekend I have to work for the main office for a couple weekends.

Eric B.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Eric,

Awesome build. Do you have a scheme in mind? Love the F-86 though not a D fan so much.

I live in N. VA and fly my hang glider out at Skyline National Park near Front Royal VA. They have an F-86 E parked sadly out doors at the airport there.

I did 2 F-86F''s a few years ago from 3 mm Depron and Fiddlersgreen not so scale paper model plans. They still fly great but are now somewhat beat up.

I used the GWS EDF-50's with std. brushed motors. (before brushless motors) At that time the GWS EDF's worked best if 1.5"-2" from the end of the exhaust. I've recently upgraded to EDF-40 with a 12mm brushless Medusa motor. Flys super now. I've also recently done a MiG-17 24"WS and a MiG-21 24" WS the GWS EDF-40's are brusless as well and placed near the end of the exhaust.

Your mid fuselage motor location may work fine with a EDF-40 brushless. Just not sure. Be sure to attach the fan on so it won't come off. I used the GWS helicopter tail rotor adapter for the 12mm brushless motors it will fit the GWS fan blade with a tad of enlargement to the hole.

Good luck with your build. I love the CNC stuff some of you guys are doing it's pretty cool. Can you post a few pic.'s of your machine?

If your an F-86 fan check out Duncan's site at:

http://f-86.tripod.com/index.html

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Mtflyr,

Cool, I think I have seen your work in the groups. I am not sure what I will do for the D model I chose to model and the choices are ANG schemes that I have found. I will look into the link tonight when I get home. I will try and get a picture of the cnc table after I clean it up tonight...

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Yeah, some of the NG schemes were pretty cool.

I saw a cool scheme at the Duncan site under Excellent Modelling Reference, F-86D #1 a Photo Walk Around of black FU-863, Dennis the Menace. There's also a 1/48 scale decal sheet shown for this bird from Cutting Edge Decals.

The more I look at the D the more I like it, and your CNC cut fuselage really got the hard nose section down pat. Any chance you might make a fuselage to sell? You can e-mail me at pschum@fairfaxcounty.gov

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr
Yeah, some of the NG schemes were pretty cool.

I saw a cool scheme at the Duncan site under Excellent Modelling Reference, F-86D #1 a Photo Walk Around of black FU-863, Dennis the Menace. There's also a 1/48 scale decal sheet shown for this bird from Cutting Edge Decals.

The more I look at the D the more I like it, and your CNC cut fuselage really got the hard nose section down pat. Any chance you might make a fuselage to sell? You can e-mail me at pschum@fairfaxcounty.gov

Pete
Hi Pete,

I will keep your request in mind when I finish the first good set of flights. There are a couple more people who are interested in it too, one being my oldest son who loves F-86's. One thing I will end up doing is the first 3 sections make the duct for the little F86D and I want to make another set of sections to make an F86 without the D's nose duct configuration. One thing I did not show is the tooling to align all the surfaces to the thrust line, which I know will help make building easier. Pics of my CNC Orlando and I built coming sometime tonight. Look for another thread on my blog about it.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:33 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hey Eric, sounds like the 'Dog is coming along.

Here's a site I like for paint schemes and general reference:

Aircraft Resource Center

Lots of F-86s in the Jets gallery.

Can't wait for the maiden!

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Last edited by Esprit440; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Time travel experiment successful
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:42 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Hiya Matt,

Thank you for the link. Take a look at the previous post where I placed a picture just as you posted...

The jig will align the wing root and h-stab to the thrust line, the wing has 2 deg incidence and the h-stab is set to 0 deg with thrust line at 0 deg. The design came off the CAD drawing derived from the 3D model.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:20 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,387 Posts
bump
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Kellogair,

I have been busy with work. The plane is ready for covering at the moment. I plane to use 1/2oz glas and WBPU.

Eric B.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
The fuselage is coming together, I have glassed it as I posted earlier. I need to cut more room in the battery compartment to make the battery easier to put in and remove. I still need to add wireways for the aileron and elevator servos. Pictures as soon as I can get them.

I think this one will be great for enlarging....

Eric B.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:23 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Dying.... for.... pics....

must....

survive....
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Closed Thread