HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:21 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Coop,

Getting pretty close. I had to work ont he fan a bit, the load in duct kept pulling the fan off the motor. I modified the shaft of the motor to correct it and tested it last weekend, it worked fine for the moment. The wings will be completed today and mounted on to the fusealge, the appendages will be next on the list then the maiden.
Thanks for the interest, I try to take time to figure things out without getting into other projects before finishing the one I am on so hang in.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:32 PM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
pics man pics
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
My card reader for my digital camera is not working, I should have gotten one last weekend but my family were in visiting. Maybe in the next day or so I can pick one up and post what I have documented so far.

Eric B.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:36 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,793 Posts
I just saw this Eric. Great work!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Thanks Kevin, still working on it, the CNC is pretty much wrapped but the small fan is a bit of a problem. In a pod mounted installation it is fine but in a duct that is a little on the long side it causes more pull on the rotor that eventually pull it off the motor shaft. I worked on this for a while and still have not gotten a workable solution.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Jan 11, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hey Eric,

Glad to hear this one is coming together. I'm a little puzzled by the impellers coming off though - seems like the press fit should be enough to keep that thing on there (at least cold) regardless of the intake restriction.

Random thoughts:

- New GWS impeller tooling, material, or process causing problems

- Motor shaft undersized

- Impeller tips rubbing due to distorted/squeezed case

- Broken stator allowing flex & tip rubbing

- Turbulent flow in a critical spot

Interesting little mystery! Good luck,

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Matt,

I thought about a lot of these and it might be the age of the plastic, this fan has been active for a couple years now. I hope it will last through the maiden when it is time. When GWS comes out with the new 20mm version of the 40mm I hope it has a better rotor attachment so we can throw some real power at them. I got another card reader over the weekend and have resumed taking pictures. These show the nose after I shaped it and test fit it to the fuse.

Eric B.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Matt,

Again thanks for coming in with some ideas on the rotor. I checked the fan over, other than taking the rotor off a couple times in the past which would have made the plastic get a little loose, I cant find anything. I guess I will change the rotor with a new one I have.

Eric B.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:11 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Yeah that might do it, I've never had any luck getting rotors to stay on once they're mounted and removed. The black ones are a lot better than the old orange ones which would fly off even when they were "fresh."

Anyway - the forward fuse looks goooood! Love the third shot down the intake which shows off the intricate contours inside and outside really well.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Matt,

I replaced the rotor, I will give it a run up on a fresh battery and see if it stays on. If it does then I will close it up and get it ready for flying.

Eric B.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Looking good Eric. Now scale it up to 70mm
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Steve,

It would be a fairly big jet if scaled. I scaled this one to the size for a wingloading of 9-10oz/ft^2.
The rotor stayed on the shaft so I will go ahead and close it up. More to come.

Eric B.

Eric B.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:10 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Are you using GMFC for your cutting software or something else?

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
Hi Steve,

I am using GMFC ATM, I am thinking of getting CENECE program as it looks easier to get to work correctly. My friend Orlando and I have spent a little over a year on learning GMFC and it is just the last couple months that I have come out with something usable. Now its repeatable in making fuselages, wings were easy with the program and I suspect what it was originally designed to do. Are you foam cnc'ing?

Eric B.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:42 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Not yet, but I've finally got all the parts to build mine. I pm'd Orlando, but we haven't flown. Have you talked with him lately? How is he doing?

Steve
Closed Thread