SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:26 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Maiden-- CHECK!

Heck yeah! Maidened my RV on my lunch break and got two flights in, each went very well!

First off. I put the final touched on her last night about 12am, charged the batteries ovr night and in the car today.
She weighs in at 10.8lbs. RTF with all 3 9V batteries installed! The CG was spot on with the 9V's in the rear and the 6v 2000mAh servo battery on the left side behind the firewall! The lateral ballance is very close if its off at all! I am very pleased with the outcome, asside from a few little Quality Control items, like the broken canopy and the cracked cowling that was painted over with a paint marker before being put into the box! But no worries, all is well enough.

With 4 leads to be plugged in on each wing, the total on-site assembly time is about 4min.!

The Flights:
After doing a taxi test to make sure it didnt drift from the LG being tow-out (it might just be the wheel pants), which there was none, I turned around (which is about the hardest thing to do with this model as the steering from the stock tail wheel is very soft) and advanced the throttle slowly for a more realistic take off. To my surprize, the mains left the ground at just over 1/4 throttle! Yes, at 11lbs and a Mag. .91 4S swinging the rec. 16x6APC prop, it only takes 1/4 throttle to sustain STABLE, hands off level flight! Very nice!

I advanced the therottle to full and climbed away at a comfortable 35* AOA to about 50ft and rolled her before making my downwind leg. On low rates with no expo, the elevator is nice and smooth, but the ailerons are a little too soft for my likeing, so I stuck to high rates for most of the flight. After cimbing a bit more to about 100ft I throttled back and notaced NO trim was needed at all!

Glide and Stall performance: after a couple more passes and rolls, before trying a loop I pull the throttle to idle and let the plane slow down, even with full up elevator (on low rates) there is no stall, just a little wing rock. With the elevator nutralaized the glide is fairly long, but a little flat, but it still floats like a leaf, right down to the runway, and with flaps I could nearly jog beside it! So A+ for G&S! There is no stall, and a great glide, even if its a tad flat.

Stability: The RV-4 is VERY stable at all attitudes and airspeeds, im just as comfortable fast or slow, right side up or upside down.. the plane doesnt seem to care, as long as its flying!

Aerobatics and Speed: It isnt a speed deamon, but it will move along very well for the low 6" pitch prop! I'd say about 60-70mph, but no faster as it has a thick wing and low pitch prop, but aerobatics are its thing! on low rates she easly does very scal looking loops and rolls, andwing overs, chandells, and so on, but it can get wicked on high rates! Tight loops and fast rolls and at full throttle she will prop hang for upto 10seconds before she starts a tail slid, which is very long and pretty as well! Flat spins aren't flat with the recomended high rate elevator, but with more throw, I know she will flatten out, but its nto as much fun as just flying it around scale like. The only vise is the elevator is very soft while inverted, evn on high rates with only 30% expo, it takes half stick to sustain inverted flight, even at full throttle, but thats OK for the RV anyways. KE was VERY solid, with little mixing req'ed! But it does slow down, so full throttle is needed for sustained KE from one end of the runway to the other.

Overall: I love this bird! Very gental, but will still get nasty if you only ask it to and the short field flight characteristics are very scale and easy!

Sorry, no video yet because I couldnt get anyone to come with me, but i'll have some video soon, in the mean time, here are some pics from this morning.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 20, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Flew the RV again yesterday. This is one sweet flying plane! I have no expo on low rates and only 35% on high and it flies perfectly w/o any trim need, and this from a guy who usually flies on 70-85% expo! I can't wait to show it off at the fly-in saturday, but im still looking for a pilot...im thinking a John Belushi bobble head...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Got to test the lights last night!

After a range test to check for interferance from the strong Strobe pulses I waited untill just before dark, yah know, that time when any colored plane turns black and is just a siluet. With all the lights on, I taxied lazely to the end of the run way and turned around, after a runup to clear the rich engine I slowly gave power and at half throttle it happely left the runway and climbed away!
The lights were suprizingly bight and easy to see, but the green light could be a little brighter, but the rest were very bright. After climbing to a couple hundred feet and doing some slow flyovers and some loops, rolls, and inverted passes, I turned around and lined up for a nice slow final, and I can tell, i'll probably be adding a landing light soon, because when the airplane is on final pointed straitat me, all I can see is the faint flash of teh strobes and the beacon, but thats it, and when its nearly pitch black out, it would help if I could see the LE light as a ref. point so I can judge it to the horizon, but its OK for now.

I'll try my best to get some video this week as soon as the 20-30mph winds die down.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
Great news Jake. Although it seems that everytime you fly that thing I'm never there. I woulda loved to see that thing in the dark. Guess I'll see it soon enough though. Congrats I'm glad you like it.
Greg
catch22 is offline Find More Posts by catch22
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Well if you wern't so much of a chicken, the breeze Sunday wouldn't have kept you at the house

I'll be there Sunday evening with a camera to do it again and get someone to get a video. I've already flown a gallon and 1/2 through it and thats saying something because with the stock tank (420CC) I get over 35min flight time! The magnum's manuel says that I should get 15min. runtime at full throttle on 14oz, so imgetting over twice that, even running mostly full throttle!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
hey hey hey who you calling chicken. Im not chicken. I just prefer being able to take home my planes with out needing a trash bag. hehe I was actually at the field sunday but couldnt stay long had the family with me. lol ill be there this sunday. even if I have to lawn dart that stick i got from ya haha.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:35 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Yeah, Yeah...

Lol, thats why I have an extra stock pile of terd planes, i'll always have something to fly

It probably flies similar to your Stinson.
Old Nov 01, 2008, 05:50 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
lol yeah it might if dad would stop bending wing tubes and pullings struts off of it with those high speed straight down pull outs. I think im gonna buy him a trainer so he dont tank it in. I kinda like that plane.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 10:22 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Lol, i'd liek to see that

Chester said the other day he still has his new one waiting fo ryou and if you dont pick it up by the spring he's going to finish it and fly it.

See yah at the field today!
Old Nov 02, 2008, 07:29 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Finall, a video!

Shot this video of my first flight today, but the sun was lower in the sky with clouds moveing in, so the light isnt the best, but it will do for now. I'll try to get another video with m friend's good camera on tuesday.

Even though I wasn't flying at full throttle most of the time, it was still a little quick for my camera girl.

Greatplanes RV-4 .91 10/2/08 (5 min 9 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
RV4 Two Ship (3 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 07, 2009, 04:14 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
152 Posts
Hi I have to RV 4 40 kit from greatplanes and the futaba 7c 2.4ghz with the flap knob. I was just wondering how u set up ur flaps, are they on a Y lead and if not how did u set them up on the switch? I have them into separate channels as I like that control but I am having trouble setting them up right on the switch.

Thanks
Kiwi
RC_Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kiwi
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:39 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
I have them on a Y, and on a 3 position switch on my Futana 7CHP. I used to fly it on a Futaba 6ch. radio. I hate the knob for flap operation, so I used ch.5 and the gear switch for my flaps before I baught the new 7ch. radio.

Flaps really do need to be on a Y because they need to move exactly the same, otherwise it can cause a lot of roll and/or pitch osolations when they are deployed, and can cause a stall and a sharp spin, which will be the end of that plane!
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:00 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
152 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I would like to put them on a Y lead but if you do you have to swap the control horns round otherwise they'll act like ailerons. I'll give it a try anyway. maybe if I used a servo reverser, problem is I'd have to get them from America. More delays...

Kiwi
RC_Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kiwi
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:32 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,713 Posts
Check out pages 8 and 9 Here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1357-manual.pdf

It will show you how to setup your servos in the orrect direction. But for soem reason you can't do that, you can buy a reversing Y harness.