HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2008, 08:24 AM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
Kivisto:

Right now, I think I'm using a 16 x 8 propeller (I need to check that.....), but I'm thinking of changing it. I want to try the APC propellers and specially the 17 x 6 since I've read that a lot of people are trying this size with this engine.

There was no problem with the engine mounting, but we did have to cut a little bit the cowling (as you can see in the picture). Some people don't like to cut the cowling for me that wasn't a problem. I prefer the extra power I can get with the 150.....

This airplane has so much power, that now is not necessary to use full throttle. A couple of weeks ago, we were able to make the plane hover for a little bit..... that will give you an idea of the kind of power you can get from this engine.
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2008, 01:07 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
What radio are you using?

howell
I have a Futaba 6EXP 6ch. Its enough, I love the radio, but I HATE the flap switch, or the lack there of, that is...instead of a switch the flaps are operated by a (for lack of a better term) spinny thing.
Could I replace the spinny flap "switch" with a real 2 or 3 position switch?

If not, I will use the 2 position gear swicth for the flaps and the spinny thing for the lights, but I would only have one flap settiong either way I go
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Oct 06, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Ganzalo, beautiful job! My scheme will be almost exactly like yours, just with stock colors, as I like them, but hate the drab stripes. As for your power...LOL! If I had that engine I sure wouldnt have gone with this plane! I probably would have gone with something it can really huck around, like a Funtana90 or Sundowner1 or a CosmicWind I chose this plane for the motor, I want to do nothing unscale like with it simply becausse its my first real scale airplane besides some foamy and Hanger9 PTS warbirds...

My covering is on order and my tail wheel is on back order, so if it doesnt come in by the time I need to install it, i'll go with the stick tail wheel and switch later, hopefully befor the chilli fly-in.

My lights and arial looking, heli antenna are in and I can finally start the build today!

Pix to come!!

BTW: 4 stroke pitts mufflers??
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:50 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
Chilli fly-in? Are you talking about the one at the old field?
catch22 is offline Find More Posts by catch22
Old Oct 06, 2008, 05:46 PM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
Jake:

The 91 engine will make the plane fly perfectly....... there's two of them at my local club. I just like to have the extra power available It's like having a V8 engine in your car....... maybe you don't really need it but you know it's there and you just like to feel that power.

I did chose this plane over others because I like it's flying characteristics. You can move it fast with the 150 or you can fly it extremely slow. Actually,with some wind you can almost make the plane stand still.

I do have a big Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6 meters plus some other airplanes, but I needed a nice plane for playing around and not be afraid of having an accident. The RV-4 was the perfect choice.

You will love it.

Let us know how it goes with all your modifications. By the way, which tail wheel are you planning to use ?
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:13 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22
Chilli fly-in? Are you talking about the one at the old field?
Yeah.
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:19 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo38
Jake:

The 91 engine will make the plane fly perfectly....... there's two of them at my local club. I just like to have the extra power available It's like having a V8 engine in your car....... maybe you don't really need it but you know it's there and you just like to feel that power.

I did chose this plane over others because I like it's flying characteristics. You can move it fast with the 150 or you can fly it extremely slow. Actually,with some wind you can almost make the plane stand still.

I do have a big Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6 meters plus some other airplanes, but I needed a nice plane for playing around and not be afraid of having an accident. The RV-4 was the perfect choice.

You will love it.

Let us know how it goes with all your modifications. By the way, which tail wheel are you planning to use ?
I hear yah on the power! Check out my rides on cardomain.com (jake70 is my handle)

I was going to use a GP scale tail wheel, but after looking at the spacs, 5" is a little small for a plane with a 6" long rudder, so I ordered an Ohio superstar set, but the LHS guy said it was "on-order" and he might have it in tomarrow, or 3 weeks from now...he didn't know, but its not a big factor, especially sense it would only take about 20min to replace later.
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:20 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Starting work today, i'll get some pics up soon.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 08:32 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
I hav ethe wings finished and the lights run! They turned out pretty well, even w/o a lens to cover them (which i'll still look for or make out of a clear 2 letter Coke bottle. The strobes are insanely bright, but the Navs could be brighter, but they are bright enough. With the 3 9V batteries, and the weight of the ligts the AUW should be just under 11bls! A bit heavy, but thats only 5oz. more than the recomended weight and the weiht from the RCG reviewer's RV, so it'll be fine. I am still waiting on the covering to come in, so the beacon/tail assembly, will have to wait till tomarrow But I'll finish the gust inside and bolt on the motor.

I have to say aside from the broken canopy, I am VERY pleased with this ARF! VERY easy to build and mod! VERY complete hardware, it even came with a VERY nice aluminium spinner and lock nuts!! If they had only included a pilot figure all one would need is there motor/servos/Rx/and battery!

Im going to start on the cockpit today and get the panel lit and the knobs done. I wish I coudl find a seat with soem belts to fit it, anyone know of any?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:39 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
Sorry for the delay, not much extr atim eon my hands the past couple of days!

I have the wings completely finished, lights and all, and the flaps/ailerons already programed into my radio! I am going to install the lights in the tail tonight and get all the pix up tomarrow!

The build is going very well, I just only get a few min to an hour each day to work on it so its going a bit slow, but it will snap togathe rquickly after I get the lights installed in the tail and the re-covering finished.

Keep looking, the pix will be up soon.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
The motor is on, the tank is in, and the tail is recovered, all is left to do is install the final 3 servos and make in inside nice and neat, and install the cowl, which needs no cutting to fit the motor, muffler!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:46 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
woohooo sounds like im gonna get to see it this weekend. Nice work jake I cant wait to see it in action.
Greg
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:19 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,644 Posts
You may not as I have to work Also, im going to try to maiden it on a paved runway, probably out at the industrial park or at the airport.

All I have to do now is screw the cowl on, and secure the lights to th fuse so that with the 3 9v batteries it ballaces laterally and fore/aft. I programmed it into my radio last night, so another couple hours' work and it'll be ready, i'll try to get time to upload the pics today.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:45 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
That's what the 24 hour flu is for man. LOL Just kidding. Ok I'll see it soon enough anyway.