HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:20 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Help!
Greatplanes RV-4 .60 scale build thread.

Hey guys! I finally, after flying for 10 years, purchased my first larg scale plane, the GP RV-4 ARF! Yeah, yeah, its not totally scale or very big as far as large scale IMAC goes, but it is a 26% 1/4 scale plane.
The full sized RV-4 has a span of 276" (23') and the GP's span is 70", 26% smaller than the full scale, so this model just squeeks by the cutoff line

I powering it with a Magnum XL-91RFS 4-Stroke, which is really why I purchaced the plane so the motor would have a nice warm cowl to live in.

I've desided to scale it outa bit by adding small outside details like break lines and no-step details, pilot tues and such, nothing like rivets or the like. I am also going to scale up the cockpit and possibly backlight the instruments and such, but the big thing im going to do with this model is install lights all the way around.

I'll be using RAM non-flashing ultra bright Navs, RAM rotating beacon for the vertical stabe, and RMA strobes as well.

Running the beacon shouldnt be a big deal, just cut the hole in the top and run a stiff wire down the stabe and out the bottom so that I can thread the light through before epoxying the stab in place.

The real problem will be adding the navs and strobes to the wing tips. Sure, running them through teh wing will be easy enough. Sence the wings plug into the fuse sides I will have to cut and add connectors to th wires so I can easly plug the wires back into the mixing board leads as I would servo leads.., but in the RV-4, the Navs and the strobes are both usually housed int the LE tip of the wings in a clear contured dome.
This is the only forseen problem I will have is makeing a clear dome to match the origional LE tip! (see pix)

My question is to you awsome scale modelers is: How can I make a clear LE wing tip dome and from what plastic without damaging the model?

Thanks so much! The plane should be in this afternoon and i'll pick it up on my lunch break and order the lights then!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 01, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 09:43 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Looking at the specs, a scale prop for this plane should be about 17" (18.4" to be exact). The manuel recomends a 16x6, which is close enough to scale, but can a magnum .91 4 stroke swing a 16x6? Recomended props for the Magnum are a 13x8 and a 14x6.
The .91 Surpass (recomended for the plane by GP of-corse) is listed to swing upto that, or a 12x8 3 blade, sense the specs are nearly identical between the two motors, the Magnum should swing the 16x6, but for an even more scale look could I swing a 17x5?
I am going to repaint the APC prop to scale as most fullscale planes have grey prop with two white tip stripes and flat black on the backside, so i'll do that with my APC.

I went to Lowe's to try and find some clear plastic that could be heated to form the tip lenses, but the only thing I coudl find were flouresent light covers that were a little thick and textured, which would be nice for landing light lenses (if I were doing them), so I thaught....Couldn't I just use an old clear canopy from anotehr model to heat with a heat gun and form it to shape? Whats your take on this idea?
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 01, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 02:57 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
My Plane is HERE!!

Picked it up at lunch and ordered my lights! I cant wait to get it all out and start work!
Old Oct 02, 2008, 11:02 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Jake,

You do know since you started this thread you’ll have to do a lot of detail photos of your build, especially the cockpit detailing.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 02, 2008, 11:24 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
I wanted to start posting the pix today, but I can't find my digicam!
Old Oct 02, 2008, 11:49 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Its looking like i'll have to do mid-tip lights as the LE tip os both fiberglass and balsa where the balsa and fiberglass tip meet is where I would need to place the lights which means that i'd have to cut balsa and wood as well instead of just cutting off the glass tip.
And on second thaught, if I put the lights on the LE, Iwould not be able to see them form the rear, only from a front or front quarter view, not from the side or the rear, so placeing the lights mid-tip would all ow mee to see the light from any angle except directly over top.
I have also decided to use the white (tail posistion) light from the navs to eluminate the instrument panel from behind seeing as its just a thin sticker placed behind a thin ply panel. This would be neat, and save TONS of head sractign trying to figure out how to run the light and wire into the rudder form the fuselage and through the hing, which im sure it can be done, but is it really worth the troublt when I coudl just light the panel instead? I will have the beacon on top and the tip navs and strobes, so a little white light at the bottom of the rudder won't really be missed as much.

As soon as I can find my camera I can begin the build as my light should be in tomarrow!
Old Oct 03, 2008, 08:36 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Do some internet searching on the RV - I'm sure you'll find many example that show different positions of the lights. You may even find a much nicer color scheme to add to the list of work on this project, but then you'll have a unique RV, not identical to the other 3 next to yours.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:32 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
I surly wanted do to a different scheme untill I opened up the box and seen a lot of painted stripes on the cowl... I SUCK at painting, especially over something and making it look nice. There are a could schemes I wanted to do, but I would have to repaint the cowl (or atleast the stripes with several coats) or try to mask them with white vynol (which would probably start to peel off after a while and I'd have to redo it again, that is, if the colors don't show through.

I found some nice schemes here

I really want to do the middle picture, but the first would be easy to do, only with the colors reversed as the silver stripe is on top, then maroon and then black on bottom, but its just not eye catching enough when the stock scheme looks VERY preety out in the sun, believe it or not.

But My light should be in tomarrow as they didnt arrive today, so I can start work on the model. If I do recover it, it will be a variant of the 1st pic, IF I can find maroon ultra/monocote.
I am also going with a more scale looking tail wheel from GreatPlanes.

A bit of crappy news, though, when opening the box and checking all parts for damage and trying to find the very well hidden spinner, I noticed that the back part of the canopy was broken and cracked. I know this was not my doing as I noticed it as I was pulling it out of the cowl (where it was shuved into durring packing. Its not large, but the back 1-1/2" of the canopy is gone, no peices in the box or bag. Seeing as its the back 1-1/2" it would leave a hole between the rear deck and the canopy, which doesn't look good and sence I didnt cause the damage, im going to e-mail GP and see if they will send me another canopy, if not I will have to buy a new one, but they are onyl $10, so its not a big deal, especially sence the canopy will be the last peice going on the plane after I fianlly find a pilot I like.
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 03, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:11 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Here is a proposed scketch on the scheme of the 1st pic in the above post useing the stock colors, whcih I have founf out to be silve, black, and Metallic Red (a deep red at that as it looks like a marron, even in the sun!).

I like it, but IDK if I like it that much to recover the thing, especially sence im on a time crunch to get it done for a maiden at a full-scale RV chili fly-in on the 25th that my local club has been invited to! (which is in part what influenced me to buy this big bird and scale it out a bit so I finaly have a plane people look at and comment on )

Comments or critisizms/your ideas for the scheme VERY appreciated
Old Oct 03, 2008, 07:56 PM
Richmond, KY
Joined Jul 2006
114 Posts
Man Jake nice plane. I can't wait to see it at the field.
Greg
catch22 is offline Find More Posts by catch22
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:18 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
Hey, Greg!! Nice to see someone from our group FINALY gets on 'the groups'!

Yeah, I hoep to have it done for the full-scale fly-in the 25th. But im not going to rush it because this is my baby, to give you an idea, im selling the Magic and possibly my Pulse to pay for it

Ofcourse, donations (no $$, servo extentions and Y's) are always appreciated,
Old Oct 05, 2008, 03:50 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
What radio are you using?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 05, 2008, 08:32 PM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
This is my RV-4 equipped with a Saito 150 engine.

I decided to change the color of the plane and doing it wasn't that hard. I think that the result is much better than the original scheme.

The Saito 150 has tons of power and the airplane is not affected by the extra weight (this engines weighs exactly the same as an OS 120 Surpass). Vertical climbs are incredible.

This plane is a blast to fly.......
gonzalo38 is online now Find More Posts by gonzalo38
Old Oct 05, 2008, 11:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts
Hey Ganzalo, Very nice RV-4!! What size prop? any trouble mounting? Cowl looks great as well. Happy flying
Kivisto is offline Find More Posts by Kivisto