Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:18 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Discussion
Planking 42inch plank-on-rib Jonesport Lobster Boat

I am finishing planking a scale classic 1930's Jonesport lobster boat hull. The ribs and planking are cedar. It is strip planked, with planks glued to each other and to the ribs.The planking is not scale widths. (most are 3/16 x 3/32). They were not sanded to fit against each other so there are hairline seams.

I am looking for suggestions for choices of wood fillers to use prior to sanding. I haven't yet decided if this will become a display model or if the hull will first be used to make a mold for laying up glass hulls or even a vacuum forming plug.

I tried several woods before settling on cedar. I tried aspen for ribs which bent easily but if left soaking to long turned to mush. Popular is nice but it required steaming to make the sharp bends at the tumble home and round bilges.

Cedar could be soaked in ammonia or just hot water. I bought some large 1/2 inch wide long tie-wraps and used them on top of the ribs when bending. Worked like a charm.

Regards,
Dave Mainwaring
http:// www. mainzone.com/modelboatbuilding_s45.html
DaveMainzone is offline Find More Posts by DaveMainzone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:59 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,009 Posts
How about some Elmers wood filler. It is the color of wood and sands beautifully.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Oct 01, 2008, 09:07 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,056 Posts
Dave, there are a number of wood fillers you can use that are easy to work with. Some use just good old spackling compound. If the seams are very small a couple of coats of resin sanding between coats will fill the cracks nicely. Or a layer of light weight fiberglass will do very well and give you a smooth base as a mold.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:51 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Planking 32inch plank-on-rib Jonesport (typo was 42inch)

I had a senior moment and typed 42 inch (I also have 42 inch versions of the same Jonesport lobster boat The model under construction is scale at 32 inches.

My 42 inch versions were originated by building a plank on bulkhead model and covering it with fiberglass, then laying up molds and pulling glass hulls.

I have an earlier plank on rib 32 inch wooden model. I watch it over the seasons and the planks (pine) expand and contract with the weather (humidity) so that the seams show. I used good old fashioned Spackle as a seam filler on that model. I'll probably glass it over and use it as a plug.

I hadn't thought of Elmers filler.

I have also used auto-body spot filler. The issue with using plastic and many plastic fillers is they are harder than the wood and on a round bottom model they (sometimes) don't sand at the same rate as the wood. Same problem as getting wood glue on the outside of planks and having to sand it off without sanding into the plank.

What about a balsa wood filler? Maybe I'll just thin out some acrylic spot putty and wipe it over the planks so the seams fill and the planks stay free of filler.

Incidentally for anyone interested in glassing over a hull I posted some notes on fiberglassing hulls http://star-45.blogspot.com/ which came from the S45 Forum.

All feedback is appreciated!!

Dave
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:20 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,056 Posts
Pictures Dave,pictures!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 03, 2008, 06:37 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
32 inch Lobster Boat pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton
Pictures Dave,pictures!!!!!!!!!
Is there a place to post pictures to the forum so they show in posts? BTW, which pictures?

I have a bunch of aging blogs that I use to store/share pictures. When I am working om my lobster boat models I will look at pictures on the blogs and see how the real boats were set up. This 32 inch model is circa 1932 and all I have are a few lines, no photo's of the old boat itself. However the Jonesport lines are classic and they were use in building all manner of boats from launches on up. I visit harbours Main and it is interesting to see how many old boats have Jonesport lines. There are some relics up on the beach in Maine which must be based on the Jonesport hull. I have also visit the Marine Museums in Maine. They have some early lobster boat which pre-date the modern haulers and one had the old style canvas topped "cabin". I was up in Mid Coast Maine last week and saw several old wooden lobster boats in owners yards slowly rotting away.

I am particularly interested in finding and photographing the running lights of the 30's or even those on LB's today.

Dave M. www mainzone com
Old Oct 03, 2008, 08:13 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
How to UPLOAD IMAGES
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610209

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545544
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:29 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,056 Posts
I don't believe that there is a set standard for running lights in Maine work boats or the Cape Islanders. They are usually mounted on top of the cabin or on the sides and range in style over the whole spectum of available lights. The only common thing is red port,green starboard,white astern.
Any pictures of your boat models,old or new, will be well recieved by all on this forum. I have 4 myself.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 05:26 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Photo's of FiberGlass 42 inch Maine Lobster Boat

It's 06:00 Saturday morning my other PC's are shut down and off line so here are a few pictures from my laptop memory stick. This is the first 42 inch Jonesport hull pulled several years ago. I used large 2 volt batteries placed under the cockpit floor for power and to ballast the model to float at water line.

I let the late George Carney have a mold and he pulled several hulls. There must be a number of models built from them in the Marine Modeler's club of New England.

Dave Mainwaring
Last edited by DaveMainzone; Oct 04, 2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: It is not Sunday :( plus add another photo
Old Oct 04, 2008, 09:41 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,056 Posts
Hi Dave, good looking boats. I've seen several of the hulls at club meetings. I can't remember who had one for sale but someone else got it before I desided to. Hope to get to the November meeting. Nice boat you have there.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:36 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Pulling more hulls, 42 inch Jonesport LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton
Hi Dave, good looking boats. I've seen several of the hulls at club meetings. I can't remember who had one for sale but someone else got it before I desided to. Hope to get to the November meeting. Nice boat you have there.
I have molds and plugs. How much do you think a bare FG (epoxy-resin) 42 inch hull might sell for? $500, $1000 ?? I'd have to purchase glass and resin etc. I have a roll of matt but matt doesn't work with epoxy (I'm not going back to polyester resin). I haven't bought supplies for years. My retirement funds that I am living on have been hammered.

It might be simpler for me to make a bare plank on rib hull using one of my male-plugs and leave it up to the buyer to glass it. This latest 32 inch hull was simple since I planked it up without a skeg. I am hesitant about getting back into the model boatyard business. Shipping a 32-35 inch hull should be a lot less hassle than shipping a 42 inch hull.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:23 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Dave; One thing that has worked for me in filling cracks between planks is this: I put masking tape on the whole hull (outside) nice and smooth and pressed down tight. Then epoxy the inside completly with diluted epoxy mix. The epoxy fills the joints and the tape keeps the epoxy from running down the outside of the hull. If the tape is good and tight the epoxy will fill the crack to the tape and not flow around under the tape. After the epoxy cures you pull the tape off and sand lightly to even things out. Works very well for me. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Oct 05, 2008, 06:40 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Video sharing ??

Is there a way to share videos on this forum??

I found these have pictures of 42 inch R/C lobster boats built from one of my hulls (molded by late George Carney) And several other R/C lobster boats.

Scale Ship Models, powered by steam and electric, March2008 (2 min 55 sec)

and

Scale Ship Models Radio Controlled (5 min 12 sec)
Old Oct 05, 2008, 06:41 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Feb 2008
41 Posts
Hmmm found they posted in my reply
Old Oct 05, 2008, 07:30 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Dave you don't have to post the whole video. If you right click the video and hit "properties" you can save the address to your browser and post that. Then anyone can just click on the address and view the video.
If that's what you did then somebody could have gone and posted them on your thread for you. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?