HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
TREX 450 or EFlite Blade 400 3D or Belt CP carbon?

Hi, I'm a newby in RC helicopters and I want to buy my first heli. What is the better in these options (TREX 450, EFlite Blade 400 3D or Belt CP carbon) ?

tks

emilio
emiliomuno is offline Find More Posts by emiliomuno
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:25 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
One of those choppers as your first heli? Woah, those are definitely not beginner helis. Unless you've had previous experience, you'll have a rough time learning how to fly any of those helis crash after crash after crash. These things are not easy to fly, and can be really pricey through repairs and upgrades.
If I were you, I would go for a Honeybee FP. It's cheap, hard to break (survives crashes like no other), extremely easy and inexpensive to fix if it does break, and will teach you much more about how helis fly than any coaxial. Coaxials are popular flyers among novices because they're so easy to fly. They basically fly themselves; the only things you might gain from flying a coaxial will be minimal. I would avoid any coaxial you might come across if you know you're going to get hooked on the hobby.

But after some experience, I'd have a hard time choosing between a TRex 450 and a Blade 400. The Blade 400 RTF kit is probably a better value since it comes with a good heli and a really good radio (Spektrum DX6i). Then afterward I would get a TRex 450, it's the kind of heli a pro would use.
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Welcome to the Forums

All those are Mini Helis and you will not get the best answers to those here. Bigger is better though, which is more what this forum is about.

Try a search for 1st heli and enjoy the read. Your budget is probably a bigger question?

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 01, 2008, 07:13 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
I disagree with Necro (respectfully) in that for beginners, I would ONLY recommend a heli in the 450 size or bigger! I was one that learned on a small, twitchy micro heli....spent about a year on and off trying to learn how to hover......then got a trex 450 and saw the light! Within 20 flights I was not only hovering perfectly even nose-in, but was doing loops and flips and rolls....yes it is that much easier. And with the Finless video's setting it up is not hard at all! I wish I would have started off on the trex from the beginning...it is SO much more stable and easier to learn on than ANY small micro. Yes the HBFP is rugged, cheap and easy to fix. But it still VERY hard to learn on! Heck at our local heli-only club they teach newbies on Raptor 50's! While they are the perfect learning platform, I would not recommend one to someone that is by themselves with no help.

So.....of the ones you listed the TREX is by far the better heli, but the B400 is a very nice heli for the price. You will eventually want to upgrade the servo's and gyro, but that's about it.

Good luck!
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Oct 01, 2008, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2008
13 Posts
The B400 comes with a really good radio that will grow with you, but I agree that either of them will be difficult to learn on. I did learn on a B400 but it's just like stated above...crash after crash.

Honestly for learning I think that a newbie should start with a CX2. Yes it's fixed pitch, yes you'll outgrow it, but it will teach you plenty about helis and get you through orientation and FF about as painlessly as possible...
ENDO1 is offline Find More Posts by ENDO1
Old Oct 01, 2008, 05:32 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
I agree with what you say Skarn. It seems that one of the biggest problems in learning how to fly helis is stability. Coaxials for instance are very stable. Helis in the 450 class and higher can also be very stable since they have a considerable amount of mass to them.
I was reading my heli magazine the other day and came across what is described as "the perfect beginner's helicopter." What I am about to recommend next probably isn't classified as a 450 class, but others who have flown it say that it "flies like a .30 size nitro."
A helicopter by Hirobo, the SRB Quark (SRB = Single-Rotation Blade), is a small single-rotor helicopter. It's unique flybar design makes it as stable as a coaxial without sacrificing maneuverability. It can be flown indoors and out, and is fairly easy to repair after a crash. Only downside is that it's pretty expensive for a beginner, but you get what you pay for.

Here's a link to one of the threads on here about this heli:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772368

Here's one of many reviews about it that you can find on Google:
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/hiroboSRBquark.shtml

This is one great and trusted vendor that sells these helis:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23878

And if you're that curious, you can also see how it flies on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...k&search_type=
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Oct 01, 2008, 07:34 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,912 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476170

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:22 PM
United States, NY, Mineola
Joined Apr 2008
229 Posts
Esky Belt cp $165.00 RTF and Finless Bobs videos for setup and Radds school of rotary flight to learn how to fly,it worked for me and many others as long as you follow thru..I started out with a Hirobo shuttle years ago with no help no internet and had a hard time learning not to mention expensive parts.Quite a few years later i got the itch and bought a Exceed Falcon 40.Found Radds from reading the forums and all i can say is Thank You.I was hovering in about 4 days,couple of months later i decided on a belt cp and i can say that there was night and day between the Falcon 40 and the belt cp,The belt was so much more stable i felt it right from take off, slowly but surely followed his steps and now am able to fly and safely land my helo.Bone stock and have not replaced anything yet just purchased a couple of extra batteries.Theres also a huge thread over on RCU for the Belt Cp for mods and other parts from the blade 400 and t-rex that will fit ,some minor mods may be needed.
Have fun and good luck.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection