HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jbourke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:33 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Having bothered to look at the pictures, May I suggest that during the re-build the wing-tubes are installed using safe techniques, and not just burried in the EPS with some expoy...

And if that's not going to be done... don't fly it that hard again
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:32 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,509 Posts
Very impressive save Jim - nice one

A few guys were discussing whether the model would more naturally fall into an attitude where the remaining wing would be high or low as the stable sit in knife edge. Was that a conscious decision or did the model just fall naturally with the wing high? Enquiring minds want to know.

Bri
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:54 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
There's a 'Higher Plane' video of a fellow who also lost a wing. He flew the plane with the remaining wing up. He ended up landing the plane very gently, in knife edge.

They fly with the remaining wing up so that it's out of the way during the landing.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 02, 2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
A few guys were discussing whether the model would more naturally fall into an attitude where the remaining wing would be high or low as the stable sit in knife edge. Was that a conscious decision or did the model just fall naturally with the wing high? Enquiring minds want to know.
I don't see any reason why the plane would prefer one roll orientation over another. The drag caused by the remaining wing imparts yaw only, assuming the plane is neutrally stable to begin with. Yak-54s have nice round fuselages and mid-wings, so they are about as neutral as you get. Of course, in the real world each axis is only in balance with all the pieces in place, so losing a wing will impart some amount of roll in some direction. That doesn't mean that the plane will stop with the wing up or down, though. Most likely it would just keep on rolling.

As for how to fly a plane with one wing, consider that the remaining wing has a lot of drag so it would be very hard to fly knife edge with the wing on the bottom. Putting the wing on the top helps the plane stay in knife edge. I consciously chose to put the wing on top and keep it there.

Holding the plane in knife edge and guiding it around required pressure on all three axes. By that, I mean that left on its own, it wanted to roll, pitch, and yaw. Finding the center position needed to keep the plane stable was really the only trick to the flight.

Understand that I only have about a minute of real-world experience with this. We can watch the video over and over, but in real time it all happened very quickly.

My thought process was something like "Let me try a snap roll at high speed...oh, hey, the wing fell off...let's see if I can find a control center to keep it stable...looks like that keeps it in knife edge...I'll try turning it...looks like pitch and roll are coupled...I'll just coax it around to my right...keep the airspeed the same and bring it down in the pattern...I'll just put it over here in the grass...hmmm...I bet I can land it...I'll try rolling it level and see what happens...ok, back to knife edge...and now let me give it a shot...hey it worked!"

If you read that while you watch the video you'll have a sense of what I experienced, and you can see that there isn't much time to learn about this flight regime. However, I have played with it a lot on RealFlight, mostly because I kept getting confronted by people who thought this behavior was unrealistic in the sim. It turns out that RealFlight has it correct, and I was only able to do this in real life because the sim prepared me for it.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Oct 02, 2008, 12:42 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Wow
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Oct 02, 2008, 01:31 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
676 Posts
Many thanks Nemo, can't wait to get started. One picture is worth a thousand words, thanks again for taking the time to prepare that!

Nioa asked: How does one tell the G4 simulator to specifically "break" one wing off? Your reply or a link explaining would be most appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo_uk
nice flying Jim.

@ nioa, if you reduce the strength multipler of the main wing to about 30. One wing will normally break off. You just need to build up speed and do a quick move like a roll.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2096090
nioa is online now Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nioa; Oct 02, 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added graphic
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:13 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
725 Posts
You ARE the man Jim!

Congrats on keeping your head when the wing came off, I doubt I would have pulled that recovery off. I've seen this done last year on a video of Mike McConville or one of those aerobatic gods....now you are one too :-)

Take care
Greg
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:38 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,509 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive answer Jim - that makes sense
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gimlick
You ARE the man Jim!
Now, Greg, how can I be the man when we all know YOU are the man!

Thanks for the kind words in your last article, by the way. The KE guys liked being called "wizards". Hopefully, they won't try to make me disappear!

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:01 PM
Test Pilot, Stand Clear
USA, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
That was a great landing. I'm sending a link to some friends.

My daughters like to fly my Slow Stick like your son. They love doing loops. They are 9 and 11 years old but they don't want to fly heli's lol!
eatmydirt is offline Find More Posts by eatmydirt
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:59 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Just as the plane rolled to a stop and Jim threw his hands up in the air, what I'd liked to have seen in the video would be a tractor trailer come barreling down the runway and smash the plane into a million pieces while Jim stands there with his mouth agape and a look of disbelief on his face. Either that or a meteorite hit it, or a large hawk come down and grab it up in it's talons and fly away with it.

But hey, that's just me.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 02, 2008, 10:18 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
J what I'd liked to have seen in the video would be a tractor trailer come barreling down the runway and smash the plane into a million pieces while Jim stands there with his mouth agape
I flying in an F5J competition a few years back where a guy tore off most of both halves of the V tail of some Art-Hobby s400 class glider at very high altitude. Only 25% or so of one of the ruddervator was left.

Somehow he would gain some control and started to spin it in with occasional losses of control. At the last second he got it into a flat spin and it smacked hard but not destruction hard on a road near the flying field...we all yelled in joy and the luck and pilot "skill" .....15 seconds later a dually pickup truck drove over it with the right side wheels crushing everything including the radio, servos, battery motor esc.

The truck continued on while we went out to pick up the balsa shards.

15 minutes later the guy driving the truck came back with a 6pack of beer as an apology.
We shot the BS with him for long enough that the next weekend he was back to try it out....he still flies at that field today.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Oct 03, 2008, 03:25 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Dave

15 minutes later the guy driving the truck came back with a 6pack of beer as an apology.
We shot the BS with him for long enough that the next weekend he was back to try it out....he still flies at that field today.
That's an utterly fantastic story Thanks for posting it!
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Oct 03, 2008, 04:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
106 Posts
cool!
juvaknin is offline Find More Posts by juvaknin
Last edited by juvaknin; Oct 03, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:44 AM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Awesome

that is insane.
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529