HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which project do you want built online?
BVM F-86 10 20.00%
Yellow Aircraft twin F-18 32 64.00%
Both 7 14.00%
Niether 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:10 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks Dave. It took me longer to do the finish than it did to build the plane. There's a lot of wet sanding, buffing, polishing, and waxing in that finish.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:20 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,252 Posts
I never saw your electra painted.. man that was nice!!
good job on that one dude

(my P-51 shipped today...yay!)

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
Here's one......you can put your masking/painting skills to work.
I think I'll leave that one for you to do!

Kirk
Old Oct 01, 2008, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
I never saw your electra painted.. man that was nice!!
good job on that one dude

(my P-51 shipped today...yay!)

Ron
Thanks Ron.

Good deal on the P-51. I don't know if you've seen the update on the P-47 thread, I started adding rivets to the wing.

Kirk
Old Oct 02, 2008, 01:33 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,508 Posts
Hi Kirk,

I'm sure whichever build you decide to document here will be immaculate! I look forward to following it. My $.02 would be that the F-18 might be a more interesting article for RCJI than the sabre. As a reader, I would find it more intruiging. Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to RCJI (actually, only mag I get at the moment is model aviation ), so hopefully you decide to do the build thread here.

I just recieved these pics today from a customer in Canada who performed the first flight on a Yellow F-18 twin powered by 2 12s E-turbax's. Way too cool! It weighs in at 39lb and flies very scale from what he said. Only has the 1 flight so far, so he hasn't gotten a chance to see what it can do just yet. I'm trying to get more information and more pics. The same guy is flying a byron F-16 with a 9s E-Turbax too.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Last edited by JetMang; Oct 02, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:59 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Chris,

That's awesome. Any more info you can get would be much appreciated.

Kirk
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:35 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Hi Kirk,
I'd like to see the F-18 built here on RCGroups. Looks like I'll be building a good sized F-18 this Winter so maybe we can steal some ideas from each other.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:36 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Chris,
That is great news.
Thank for sharing. Let made it 2009 is the year of twin power scale EDF jets.

I got 4 twin EDF conversion project for next year.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:45 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond
Hi Kirk,
I'd like to see the F-18 built here on RCGroups. Looks like I'll be building a good sized F-18 this Winter so maybe we can steal some ideas from each other.

Dan Eaton
Sounds good to me Dan.

Kirk
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Hi Kirk

Apologies for bringing this back up so long after your post but Iíve only just found the time to reply. R/C flying to me has always meant aerobatics right from 50 years ago when I flew single channel rudder only with a 2-vacuum tube Rx and bang bang rubber driven escapement. So youíre right that Iím likely to employ energy management Ė because along with patience and timing thatís a lot of what achieving an aerobatic manoeuvre is about and is what makes it so much more fascinating than merely dive and zoom speed runs or hurtling the model at 220ft/sec around a racetrack pattern banking and yanking every 5 seconds before the thing goes out of sight, out of range, or both.

Despite that being the case, my video showed the capability of the Stumax fan, and not just me trying to fox everyone into thinking itís better than it is, not least because Iím so darned rusty at doing jet aeros that Iím largely all-over the place Ė but practice will hopefully sort that out together with the new glasses I got today from the opticians. As Stu remarks in his reply, the Stufan gets a great performance from a model with near-scale size orifices and isnít intended as a speed freak machine, and no-one can seriously claim that the 16lb 60oz/sq ft plane with my own scratch-built ducting thatís on my vid is one that is underpowered, dull and uninteresting to watch or to fly.

Regarding the BVM vid, you shot a goodie there, but I have a couple of things to say about it. Granted the BV Viofan has never been noisy so canít fail to be similarly subdued in noise output as an EVF. But the reason it seems as quiet as it does in your vid is largely because of the amount of background noise, not least the PA. If youíd had a shotgun mike and dead cat wind-screen on your camcorder as in the pic of mine below, youíd have a lot more fan noise on the soundtrack because the PA and other ambient noise would have been virtually eliminated. Therefore comparing my and your vids for sound quality isnít fair. Power-weight ratio and size-wise, the F-4 weighs 30lb with 2 power systems vs 16lb and one fan for the Hawk, so is advantaged in that way. Plus though itís longer than my Hawk, itís only the same span and has double the wing area, so it has a comparable wing loading, maybe even lighter, a thinner wing section, and itís sleeker and relatively more compact, so itíd be a travesty if it didnít go so well.

Regarding Tamís comment, my corollary to his love of straight line speed is not quietness, but aerobatics. What the heck, Iíve been flying noisy models for 50 years and ducted fans for 25 years, and Iím so pleased that Stu brought it to my and all other EDF-ersí attention that a genuinely quiet EDF with great performance is possible. Furthermore Iím over the moon that Daniel Schubi is also apparently going down the same route with his HST series fans. After all, the reason electric power caught on big time in the first place in Germany was its quietness, and itís good to see that quiet EDFs will soon be spreading out from Paderborn, as well as from Sydney and Wintersprings. Hopefully the recession wonít affect any of these.

Just my .02

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Hi Gordon,

I respect your opinion but to me, no powered full scale aircraft is quiet. None, except of course a glider which is not a powered aircraft. So, when I do a scale project quiet is not a requirement. With a scale jet, getting as near to realistic sound without using a turbine is a requirement (for a sport jet this is not a requirement). To my ears, the BVM F-4 fits that requirement. Some may disagree and we could debate this until the end of time but in reality, everyone hears sound differently and what some find offensive, others find pleasing. I don't think that just because one choses to use an electric power plant that the aircraft has to be quiet. Currently, I'm working on a 85 inch wingspan P-47 that will have an AXI 5345 motor. I will also be adding the sound chip and speakers so it will sound like a real Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial motor. EDFs will never sound exactly like a turbine so for me the best approach to a project is to be happy with the project and not worry about what others think because I do my projects for personal satisfaction and not for peer acceptance.

Kirk
Last edited by k_sonn; Oct 02, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Well guys, I'm going to close this thread. The majority of the votes were for building the F-18 online. I will start a thread when I begin building the F-18 but the F-86 will get built first so be patient.

Kirk
Closed Thread