HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which project do you want built online?
BVM F-86 10 20.00%
Yellow Aircraft twin F-18 32 64.00%
Both 7 14.00%
Niether 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:58 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
A few
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:59 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
The second one here in nice
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
wow....evidently when I was a child learning to shoot............Canadian kids were learning to paint some of those are really nice looking
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:11 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Blue Angel's !!

the funny thing is so many guys say they won't do the blue angel because it's over done... that I never see blue angels at meets any more
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. I should specify that I want to do a military scheme because I want to weather it some. On the last Electra I built I did a gloss scheme and I swore I would not do a gloss scheme again. It is way more work than doing a weathered military scheme.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:33 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
well yeah without a doubt even spinning that fast ds is gonna be louder for sure, waqs just marking the diff between low rpm and high rpm. And even with that high a count they know the weight counters any speed advantage so they use that system as a low draw longer running system for lower speeds. heck we can do the bandit mildy aggresive for 7 min on just 12s 4kw, no flaps either!

those are some awesome paint schemes up there!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:38 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Kirk

I have seen alot of the blue versions and of the tan/brown versions.....hmmm brown and green, Are you talking about this one?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ok guys, enough with the fan wars. I know enough about all of the available fans to make up my own mind based on criteria I have set forth for a scale project.

Now, back to color schemes. Below is the scheme I am leaning towards unless someone comes up with something better.

Kirk
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Check this article out!! I didnt know they were building these for production this year. Interesting!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA-18G_Growler
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:52 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
I really like that aggressor scheme dussmdb34
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:02 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
I really like that aggressor scheme dussmdb34
yeah the aggressor schemes are just that..aggressive....nothing wrong with grey....it is just that..."grey"

Kirk, that is a good one

Mike
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sonn
It's not the sound of the Stumax fan that I find unimpressive, its the lack of performance the fan has when compared to a TF4000/Nue 1912 1Y combo running on 10S at 89A and 3200 watts. IMHO it's your awesome energy management piloting skills that make it look good.

Kirk
I know you're not a big fan of mine, Kirk, but let's get things into perspective. The SM110-52 was designed to fly .91 ICDF sized scale models with scale inlets off grass runways at scale speeds with enough thrust at those speeds for good aerobatics. Take a model with 66cm^2 (ie 90%FSA) inlets and put a 120mm fan in it and see how poorly it performs, yet the SM110-52 will do fine. Take a model with 90cm^2 inlets and a 120mm fan will beat it every time, but there aren't many models in the right size range with such large inlets. It wasn't designed for guys who just want to half-pipe all day long as if they're flying in a virtual skateboard rink. As it was designed for good bottom end performance, it unloads considerably during flight. A customer with a Spark had telemetry which showed 3.2kW static but ~2.6kW in straight and level flight (less in a dive), increasing to ~2.8kW when going vertical. That's a drop of 25% in flight, and the good thing is in gave the extra when required. It was radared at 145mph, which compares favourably with it when it had a DS75 in it. We're still working out the optimum exhaust size, it is very dependant on inlet size, so it's not a "one size fits all" like a rotor/stator fan which is much less critical. IMHO, Gordon's flight shows us that it has the grunt to pull a 16lb model up into a vertical 4 point roll without a big dive to get speed - it's the low down thrust that keeps it going rather than its own momentum - in fact in Gordon's excellent video there is very little of what you call energy management, most of the verticals are done after a simple turnaround. Yes, it does compromise a bit of performance in order to get the good sound, but I haven't had any complaints from customers yet, from nearly 40 units sold. Some people gauge performance by only one factor - straight line speed, usually out of a dive - but there's more to it, especially if you fly off grass, as you have to make it into the air safely before you can do anything else.

That said, I'm looking forward to whatever model you choose do do, as you always do such a good job. I can do a super shiny, pylon racer type finish with my eyes closed, but there's no way I could ever do a scale model to your level, my patience just isn't there.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Last edited by stumax; Sep 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Stu,

That first paragraph is good info about your fan. You should put it in your fan thread so your customers or potential customers can easily find it.

I'm just the opposite of you. I can do scale military scale finishes all day long but although I can do a glossy finish I just don't get into them so they seem like a lot of work to me. I can go to an airshow and just walk around a plane on static and observe all of the different ways it shows wear and tear and then I go home and think of ways to duplicate it.

Here's a couple of photos of what I hope is the last glossy finish I do.

Kirk
Last edited by k_sonn; Sep 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added photos
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:56 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Here's one......you can put your masking/painting skills to work.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:07 PM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
heheh. that writing on the vert stab cracks me up!

and thats a beautiful glossy finish Kirk!
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Closed Thread