HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which project do you want built online?
BVM F-86 10 20.00%
Yellow Aircraft twin F-18 32 64.00%
Both 7 14.00%
Niether 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:29 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Another vote for F-18 twin Kirk.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I haven't heard the latest EVF of course, but my Stumax, which doesn't seem to impress you all that much, sounds so much more model turbine-like (like Chris, I feel that scale-like is probably not the best description) than any other fan I've owned or heard that I have another on order.
It's not the sound of the Stumax fan that I find unimpressive, its the lack of performance the fan has when compared to a TF4000/Nue 1912 1Y combo running on 10S at 89A and 3200 watts. IMHO it's your awesome energy management piloting skills that make it look good.

Here's a link to the BVM F-4 noon demo flight. When I shot the video, I was standing about 10 feet behind the flight line so I was pretty close to the action and the sound of the twin EVFs are pretty low. What you mostly here on take off is the air being sucked into the intakes.

http://rcuvideos.com/video/BVM-F-4-N...#theater_title

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:24 PM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
I vote for the F-18. I enjoyed the StarFire build and watching a twin EDF build would be cool.
LeadSled is offline Find More Posts by LeadSled
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:25 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
ever heard a vio fan on 16s compared to 10s? not so quiet anymore as it was when it had low rpm and efflux. Spin a EDF40 half where it needs to be, its real quiet too. Not that efflux is everything, you need a balance, but nothing but static is just that. Haqte to say it but I just dont think how we "want" it to sound is even going to be an option for us. And lets face it, stand next to a turbine that's actualy running, not exactly quiet! haha

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:57 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Hi Kirk

With a large costly project like this, it would be a shame for it to sound like a foamy. After all the EDFs you've made with other fans it must now make sense to go for a more turbine-like sound despite the extra cost, and choose the EVFs, even if it means selling the motors you have.

After 50+ flights with my Stumax, when/if I eventually put my DS94-1527/1.5Y combo into a model, I know that I'll dislike the DS94 sound despite that fan's great performance potential - the whine will always be intrusive; I've already become fed up with the screams and whines of my four 90mm and 69mm EDFs.

I think that a fantastic project like your F/A-18 flying around full of ordnance and completely warlike in appearance but sounding like all the other EDFs you ever had will eventually annoy you when you know that you could have made it sound a lot better.

I haven't heard the latest EVF of course, but my Stumax, which doesn't seem to impress you all that much, sounds so much more model turbine-like (like Chris, I feel that scale-like is probably not the best description) than any other fan I've owned or heard that I have another on order.

IMHO, turbine-sounding EDFs are the future in big scale EDFs at least, as it probably doesn't matter as much for a sport jet. Whether smaller EDFs can ever catch up sound-wise is another matter.

Gordon

Gordon,
You like the sound. I like performance.
But I do own turbine Super Hornet and a long with the rest of my turbine aircraft fleets.
It sound really get me to fly heavier plane.
Hell no....it the power we need to fly bigger model.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:41 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Barry I watched an Electra at California jets on 16s and it was still very quite... compared to my f-16 with the DS-94 and Tams A-4 with early proto type of the TJ 100

One thing I did notice was with it being so quite it didn't seem as fast...
It was fast and it had the best vertical I've seen an EDF have.. he also flew for 7:00 minutes (I used a timer on every EDF I watched that day) which I've never seen any fan do with my own eyes
But with the lack of sound it was deceiving... he got best EDF at the show

Another option could be the E-Turbax I watched one the same day and it sounded great... good price too...

I believe in WW fan test it had more power than all the fans

Quote:
IMHO, turbine-sounding EDFs are the future in big scale EDFs
agreed
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Last edited by Ron101; Sep 30, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
I seen Lewis Patton's Yellow F-18 at the windy city jet meet last month. It was sweet!! Very large and extremely tricked out. Probably the most realistic f-18 I ever seen. I think he was flying it on a single turbine though. Like a jet-cat p-200 at 50-55lbs thrust. His model weighed in at like 65lbs. It flew very scale, but was slow due to the way less than 1.1 thrust to weight ratio. I dont know what a twin version edf style would weigh. But his is a top gun competitor. Plus he needed a special waiver due to the ama's cheesy ass weight limit. It was beautiful though. I say give the f-18 a whirl Kirk!!! Id love to see one as an edf!! Here are a few pics of it along with a bad one and a not so good pic of an su-27....It was a bad angle!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Absolutely!!! I think the vio fan has the best sound hands down. The stu isnt all to loud cause its spinning at a low rpm. Another reason why 70mm edfs are loud. They are currently putting out 1300-1800 watts on 4-5s. So that means its spinning at 50-60,000rpm's. They are all music to my ears. Turbines are ultra loud. So to sound more turbine like it needs to spin higher and wind out the rpm's a lot more. And 7 minute flights are pretty damn impressive for any edf. I love my viofan and wouldnt trade it for anything. Just my .02
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:00 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
lavochkin are you sure that's a yellow F-18
I thought that was a century jet models proto type?

I could be wrong.. I was once back in 86

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ron,

I think you are right. Lewis is a Century Jet sponsored pilot and he has been flying a Century Jet F-18 around the show circuit for a few years.

Kirk
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Ya know what you might be right. I could of swore they said yellow, but I might have been wrong or the announcer could of been. He was calling tams f-16 a large foam edf, so he clearly didnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. Not that Im much better. LOL!! Either way look at it as inspiration! What color schem would ya do kirk? Im pretty partial to the red diamondbacks 50th anniversary scheme along with the good ole jolly rodgers.
Ya got to admit though, that one is sick looking. Speed brakes and all.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:29 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
I've picked a scheme for the F-86. Still looking around for a good one for the F-18 but I'm leaning towards the tan and green shceme of the advesary squadron. Everyone is welcomed to post their favorite F-18 scheme.

Kirk
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
There are quite a few Canadian air Force special painted F-18's
I'd vote for any of them ... I'd just put US national markings on it.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Do you guys know what color schemes bvm will offer on the sabre arf? Is Bob V doing a Fury arf too or is it just sabres?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
I did my F15, jepe F16 and I'm doing my large F16 in the IDF camo....I think it looks really nice, and with the grey on bottom it is easy to tell top from bottom. Problem with most US schemes is the grey camo top and bottom would make it difficult to tell which is which at a distance. For a US scheme I like this:

of course........i would leave the belly grey..or gray...which is it grey or gray..any english majors??
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Closed Thread