SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which project do you want built online?
BVM F-86 10 20.00%
Yellow Aircraft twin F-18 32 64.00%
Both 7 14.00%
Niether 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Poll
Online Build -- BVM F-86 vs Yellow Aircraft F-18

I have two projects I will be doing this winter, a BVM F-86 and a Yellow Aircraft twin F-18. One of them will be a build article for RC Jet International and the other will be an online build. Which ever one I do for the magazine build article I will not be able to show much online until the article is complete and published. So, the question is, which project (if any) would you guys like to see built online?

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Last edited by k_sonn; Oct 02, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sonn
I have two projects I will be doing this winter, a BVM F-86 and a Yellow Aircraft twin F-18. One of them will be a build article for RC Jet International and the other will be an online build. Which ever one I do for the magazine build article I will not be able to show much online until the article is complete and published. So, the question is, which project (if any) would you guys like to see built online?

Kirk

Kirk,
Build the Y/A F-18 for Florida Jets 2009.
Next month I schedule my builder to built two Super Hornet with twin TJ100.
Let had bad A$$ twin Hornet at Florida Jets.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:35 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Very few large EDFs...fewer twins......I think most would really love to see a project of that scale.
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
do the yellow! but send it my way first! lol

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:44 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,266 Posts
F-18 HERE!! my vote is cast ..lol

Kirk the way I see it is the BVM is so well designed and be around for years.
It also has the best instructions you can buy. The cool part will be your details. It has flown as turbine,EDF, Glow, Do that in RCJI

So I vote to see the yellow F-18... as far as I know it has never flown as an EDF... I would love to see that here... it has long been by far my favorite airplane... I've got an old video on tape of one flying on glow ducted fan and it looks pretty good after the first lap... but you will have more power with EDF...
I bet if it's really light and way overpowered it will be a beast...

Joe McBride fly’s one here in Cali with a P-200 and it's just sick... he is also the best pilot I've seen fly a jet... but that’s like 45 pound thrust

You’ll have at best 30 pounds... most turbine versions I've seen have come in over 30 pounds more like 38 pounds... I heard of one ducted fan that was 29 pounds... when I was into turbines this was the plane I wanted...I read alot on it and still do... I'm going to build one someday
You should talk to Shawn Evans about it (yellow rep) he has built many of them... and flew them as glow verison... he told me he saw one fly on glow where the guy redesined the ducts and it was a 180mph glow plane
He is really up on this plane... may have tips to keep it light

DO IT HERE

I'm sure you've seen them but paul reese has some great videos of the Yellow F-18.. here's a link:
http://www.ca-jets.com/Theater/theat...ies/index.html

three good ones there and also good footage in the cal jets 2006 movie
http://www.ca-jets.com/Theater/Theater.html

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:45 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
Hey Kirk!

Cool projects buddy! I would agree that the F-18 twin is a more interesting project. As much as I would like to see it online, I also think it would make for an awesome article in RCJI! What are you planning on powering it with?

Maybe John would be ok with you posting some teaser shots online as long as you didn't duplicate the information in the article.

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I have a glow Yellow F-18 just setting here waiting for a good
EDF conversion. I vote F-18. Especially if you can do it with something
less expensive than two $1,000.00 fan combos. I bet just one of Tams TJ100s
would fly it. But Tam's twin Super Hornet will be a beast.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
We've had mostly singles on here Kirk, and plenty of F-86's too. So I vote for the big F/A-18 and look forward to following your scale finishing technique.

What'll be in it? A pair of TF4000s?

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,266 Posts
must see TV!!

Found the link I was loking for..
this is Joe Mcbrides.. the scale landing gear was done by paul reese
he still makes a kit to do the gear.. but that would add weight

check out this video ...sick plane..gives me wood
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/f1...jet/3552147418

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:22 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks guys for voting and providing comments. Right now, it looks the F-18 is the clear winner for an online build.

I haven't decided on which fans to use yet but I am leaning towards two; TF4000 or 5012 EVF. After seeing the 30 pound BVM F-4 fly on two 4010 EVFs I was impressed with the scale performance and sound. The BVM F-4 and the YA F-18 are about the same size. The less expensive option would be to use two TF4000 as I already have two 1527 1.5Y motors but even if I didn't have the motors it would still be less expensive than any of the other options. The EVF cost $1195 each and the TJ100 costs $1095 each so ther's no real savings there. The TF4000 setup would cost $835 each (Fan -- $345, 1527 -- $265, CC HV110 -- $230). These costs are based on a 12S setup. One of the reasons I'm looking at the EVF, besides the performance it had in the BVM F-4, is it sounds better than a TF4000 or TJ100. Also, as mentioned above, one TJ100 would not fly this airplane.

No matter which fan I go with, ducting will be the biggest issue and new ducting will have to be made. Barry, I'd love to send it to you to get ducting made but with the 98 inch long fuse being one piece it would cost a small fortune to ship it. If you don't mind, I may be looking to you for some advice on how to make the ducting when the time comes.

Kirk
Last edited by k_sonn; Sep 30, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ron,

Thanks for the video links. I hadn't see those yet.

Kirk
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I also like the inherent efficiency of twins. so you'll be getting a free 15% or so right off the top. So wouldn't need to kill yourself with lotta watts, 3.5 per side would scramble! anything above that would be gravy.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Hey Kirk

I think you should save the f18 for rcji.

My reason, fundimentily, I am of course com-letely biased.

John (RCJI Editor) is going through a difficult time just now, so my thoughts are with him. A family berevement, not entirely unexpected, but always tough at any age, is a difficult time as you can expect..
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:42 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkamarm2000
I also like the inherent efficiency of twins. so you'll be getting a free 15% or so right off the top. So wouldn't need to kill yourself with lotta watts, 3.5 per side would scramble! anything above that would be gravy.

Barry

This what me and Barry talk about last night when Barry work on the ducting for the Super Hornet. What is the idea power to fly this scale beast with all the ordinance like the turbine version.
By kept the airframe light use less power it the way to go.
Our choice is 1515 3D motor on 11s 5000mAh.
This is 7.8kw power for twin set up.
Here is a teaser photos to get Kirk and me going.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Hi Kirk

With a large costly project like this, it would be a shame for it to sound like a foamy. After all the EDFs you've made with other fans it must now make sense to go for a more turbine-like sound despite the extra cost, and choose the EVFs, even if it means selling the motors you have.

After 50+ flights with my Stumax, when/if I eventually put my DS94-1527/1.5Y combo into a model, I know that I'll dislike the DS94 sound despite that fan's great performance potential - the whine will always be intrusive; I've already become fed up with the screams and whines of my four 90mm and 69mm EDFs.

I think that a fantastic project like your F/A-18 flying around full of ordnance and completely warlike in appearance but sounding like all the other EDFs you ever had will eventually annoy you when you know that you could have made it sound a lot better.

I haven't heard the latest EVF of course, but my Stumax, which doesn't seem to impress you all that much, sounds so much more model turbine-like (like Chris, I feel that scale-like is probably not the best description) than any other fan I've owned or heard that I have another on order.

IMHO, turbine-sounding EDFs are the future in big scale EDFs at least, as it probably doesn't matter as much for a sport jet. Whether smaller EDFs can ever catch up sound-wise is another matter.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Closed Thread