131 Posts
Discussion
lost direction. what next??

hi all
a brief bit of history from me
started off on an electrafun xp
then an ezge
easy*
lastly a st models st 330 (like a cularis)
i now live in perth aus , and there are no real slope sites here.
i think it's time to think which sailplane next , but i don't know which direction to take.
stick with electrics or try thermalling with a bungee launch (which i've never done)
i'd like a well made sailplane (not foam) that will be aerobatic , not too expensive
and not full house. i've only flown 4 channels so far , and don't want to jump too far ahead of myself. i wouldn't buy more than a 6 channel tx.
i'm not a builder so it needs to be artf
if it is electric , i'd like to speck it out quickly and then thermal.
lastly it'd be good if it could stick a rough landing without splintering.
i looked at the omega and i do love the look of that.
great planes siren may be too much of a thermalling sacrifice
anyone got anything i may have missed
many thanks
grayzeee is offline Find More Posts by grayzeee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 07:57 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Hi Grayzee
I was looking for a similar thing to what you're describing and a lot of people recommended the Omega II 1.5 or 1.8. Apparently they are good thermallers and will take some abuse if you want to throw them around a little and have fun doing aerobatics. Just don't expect it to be a hotliner.
The siren seems to be a good inexpensive intro to the hotliner world but from what I've read you lose out big time on the thermalling. But then again you gain speed and power (which can be fun )

As for price only you know how much you can afford but most people pointed out you really do get what you pay for. If you want to see better handling/build/performance then maybe look at the models above the basic entry level planes if you can.

I think the first thing you have to decide is what you want. Going fast and thermalling are not totally exclusive but if you want a hotliner then you give up on the catching thermals, and visa versa. Don't forget, to go fast coming downhill and to retain that momentum it helps to be heavy, but that weight is just what you don't want if you want to hang in a thermal. If you go for something in the middle then expect to have fun doing both, just don't be dissappointed if you can't catch thermals with the super lightwght thermallers or get left behind by the super fast/heavy hotliners.

If you want something that is mainly for thermalling (but still have some fun doing aerobatics) then I would look at the omega (again...just from what I've read). If you want more strength/speed but still a thermalling ship then maybe go for something like the Gladiator II (http://www.icare-rc.com/gladiator-g2-e.htm). I've got one of these coming in the mail and can't wait.

But if you want more of a speed ship that can also thermal on good days then maybe go the route I ended up with which was the Kalae (http://www.icare-rc.com/kalae.htm). Or you could also try the Abolute (http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=266). The Kalae I fly is a real hoot. Load it it with some heavy batteries and it flies fast and makes an incredible rushing/whistling noise when coming downhill. Once I find myself low I just give it some juice and I'm back up at altitude in a few seconds. The great thing though is if conditions are right then I put a much lighter battery in and I can cruise around and try to catch some lift. Notice I said "try to" . I've had a bit of luck the last few days but generally it feels more like relaxed flying in a very gentle cruise rather than going up in a thermal . Just if you go this route expect to be racing around the sky (even when trying to catch a thermal). These kind of ships like to fly fast. They won't slow down and hang in the air like a thermalling ship.

Anyway...good luck. Maybe some of the other people here with much more experience than I ahve will chime in and give some advice.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Last edited by Michael Richards; Oct 01, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:16 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
How about a something from here; http://www.airsportsrc.com.au/blejzyk.html

AirsportsRC here in Aus may have something suitable in their Blejzyk range, some of which come with EP options.
I'm close to buying a First for 2M thermal.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 01, 2008, 05:33 PM
ozzie ozzie ozzie
gold coast
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
cheers guys
i was having a word with an on line shop here in aus and got recommended another 2 hotliners. the sprinter (good price)and the hawk (moulded).
i'm still thinking i want more of a thermal sailplane with a bit of power that'll do aerobatics
gladiator 11 link not working
i'll check it out
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:12 AM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayzeee
i'm still thinking i want more of a thermal sailplane with a bit of power that'll do aerobatics
Yhep I asked for the same thing and ended up with a hotliner

I think I know what you mean though. So long as you are not looking at wing ripping pullouts and stunts, I think something like the Omega II (it has a bunch of names but check out http://www.icare-rc.com/magellan_e.htm ) would be fine. But I have never flown one myself...only going on reports.

If you want more speed with thermalling maybe look at an ocelot. Seems to be a hotliner that will thermal if built light http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923114

The Gladiator link is here. Sorry...the bracket got included in the link therefore it wouldn't work. This is based on a DLG so I am hoping it should be pretty strong.

http://www.icare-rc.com/gladiator-g2-e.htm

There is also an old thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=gladiator+2
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
i want more of a thermal sailplane with a bit of power that'll do aerobatics
i'll check it out
Wouldn't we all!!
Generally whatever you end up with probably won't be to flash as a thermaller, aerobatic ability and thermalling abilty are not really mutual. Some of the higher end F3B ships will do ok at both, but otherwise its usually a bit of a compromise, as you may already realise. It all just depends on what you mean by thermalling and aerobatics.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:59 PM
pigs will fly!!
Joined Jan 2007
279 Posts
Hi there

I also think that what your looking for isnt going to be easy, if the model is going to thermal well what you normally end up with is a light model that will fly relatively slowly, and although most of them are capable of mild aerobatics its not their scene, on the other hand the hotliner type is heavier with faster flying wing profiles and you will find very hard to try and thermal with them, and those that can do both reasonably are more than likely to be fitted with flaps, that would allow you to change the wing profile which will slow the model down or speed it up.

But in order to take advantage of this you will need to upgrade to a computerised transmitter of 7 channels. this opens far more choices of models, I you can fly an aileron model reasonably well a then a model with flaps wont be that dificult to master.

Regards

Joe Rubido
jrturbo is offline Find More Posts by jrturbo
Old Oct 02, 2008, 03:52 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
How about something like a Lap Dance?

Stressed for DLG type speeds (DLGs typically hit 140kph on launch), flaperons so you can do aeros, variable camber for a wide speed range, and if you want to, nothing floats like a DLG!

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Oct 02, 2008, 05:30 PM
ozzie ozzie ozzie
gold coast
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
that's a bit more like it but looks expensive
just to clarify
artf with motor that'll send it up quick , but when turned off , it'll slow fly
i'd def want ailerons and be happy to go a step further.
by aerobatics , i'm talking just loops and rolls , fairly basic stuff. not 3d by any means.
i've not bought the radio yet , but am looking at jr x2610 / xp6102 or poss the spectrum
dx6i <???
trying to keep the cost for everything under $1000 aus
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hi again grayzee, now you are in Aus, and are likely? to fly 36Mhz, have you considered the Multiplex Cockpit SX radio as an option? They are 7ch, full house glider and power dedicated and have much more flexible channel mixing and assignment features than the radio's you mentioned, plus simpler programing features. They come with a fully synthesised Tx and Rx, its about as secure a signal link as an FM system can get.

They feel weird at first to use if you are used to the boxy JR style transmitter, but almost everyone soon comments on how intuitive and easy they are to operate and program. Tx and Rx are yours for a little under $400 at one shop here, other shops sell them for up to $600!!! I got my set for $425 delivered. Its been a good investment.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:40 PM
Float like a butterfly...
USA, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Aug 2007
343 Posts
Hi: I picked up a used Omega 1.8 on one of the auction sites last spring. It was pretty beat up but was well equipped (Hacker, etc.) and priced right. It was just what I was looking for as I had decided to get back to soaring after a stint with parkflyers and other small electrics. Years ago I flew several full house unlimited sailplanes so wasn't too sure what to expect from the Omega. After a total replacement of the tail feathers (X-tail by the way), a 2100 LiPo, and a new firewall, paint and lots of TLC, off we went to the field.
I must say that I was mightily impressed. It is a blast to fly. Just like others have said, its not a floater but it will thermal if you can find a boomer and keep your speed up a bit. Best part is I can rip it up if I want with aerobatics or relax a bit and just cruise around. Get many climbs to speck height with the 2100. And no high start or winch to fuss with. I will pick up a bigger unlimited ship this winter but the Omega will always go to field for fun when I need it. Good luck with your search!
dave440c is offline Find More Posts by dave440c
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:00 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Quote:
cheers guys
i was having a word with an on line shop here in aus and got recommended another 2 hotliners. the sprinter (good price)and the hawk (moulded).
gladiator 11 link not working
i'll check it out
Hello Grayzeee,
To help the recomendations could you explain what you expect in performance that the ezge doesn't fullfill?

Do you want fasted thermalling, more range or abiulity to thermal down wind.

What quality of aerobatics are you after that the loops and rolls of an ezge doesn't do?

I was reading this thread and was thinking of suggesting something like the Omega or more preferable the Sprinter lineup but then you said
>i want more of a thermal sailplane with a bit of power
so is it just more powe in the ezge will do the trick?

Needing more clarification on what your present models don't do for you?

cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Oct 03, 2008, 05:00 AM
ozzie ozzie ozzie
gold coast
Joined Dec 2006
131 Posts
hi jeff
the ezge i had , i'd put a brushless set up in.
it was ok but not amazing. definately not able to go up vertically. when in a full dive , the wings got serious flutter . i think without modification , it can't handle it.
pull out of the dive and the wings get a big bend.
it's ok but i wanted something with a little more finesse than a chunk of foam.
more performance ,

don't get me wrong , it's fantastic for what it does ,but looking at those moulded gliders , i just want to fly one. far better glide and less floppy.
i saw a video on the multiplex blizzard. that's the level of performance i want.
it occured to me today that all the big wreck your day crashes i've had with models , (after the first one) have been due to glitches or interference.
the next radio i buy hopefully will have addressed that issue.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 05:13 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Yes grayzee I was thinking you were after moldie performance.

The areas of concern with the ezge aren't thermal performance orientated just that you want a little warmliner.

So that suggests the Blizzard (some flutter issues) and a nice selection to choose from in the molded or sheeted foam models. GP Siren, Sprinter already mentioned there is also the electric moldies from Andrew at Falcon gliders..
http://www.falcongliders.com.au/

cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Oct 03, 2008, 05:18 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
How about a Passer-X? http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl71015 looks slick but very light weight so it should thermal ok. Never flown one myself but there's a review by another aussie guy in the forum somewhere.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser