The AS2000 isn't available yet.
It's due in early May.
Along with the AR6400 RX.(6ch)
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:24 PM
Joined Jun 2008
216 Posts
Hey! Thanks for this great advice. My MCX flew well but had developed an annoying TBE. I just accepted that the shaft must be bent and left it at that - waiting until I broke the plastic head to justify a new shaft.

Well, I tried tightening the pinch screw at the top slightly and it got rid of the TBE swirl. I would have never thought that tightening the screw would do anything but hurt performance.

Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3
Just when I thought I had mCX completely figured out... I have been flying mCX without pinch screw in upper blade holder for the flybar pivot. Been flying this way for past couple of months and was reasonably happy. Tonight I re-installed the pinch screw and tried varying amounts of pinch friction on the flybar pivot and found out to my surprise that correct amount of pinch friction eliminates TBE. Hard to describe in words how much friction is needed, but suffice to say, it is only a small amount. Too much fiction and TBE is pronounced. For foreseeable future I'll be flying with pinch screw and jeweler's screwdriver at-the-ready to make subtle adjustments to pinch friction. Love this little eggbeater.
capadotia is offline Find More Posts by capadotia
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2008
11 Posts
What's the Best TX for the mCX?

Ok,

So I'm going on my third mCX and plan on getting the 300c too, but what is the best transmitter to get for this bird (I would like one that I could use as I advance into other helicopters as well)?

Thanks, Bret
purdueaero is offline Find More Posts by purdueaero
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:44 PM
Livingston NJ
Joined Jan 2009
251 Posts
love it

I own 3 but i only have one in the air now. One is broken down for the gitd mod . I have whit canopy and all. The other one is waiting on a 5 in 1 which I should be getting from HH this week as there was a defect. I really like the new canopy. It seems that all you would need for the conversion is the canopy, the boom and possibly the skids. Pretty freakin cool. I love this little bird. I would think that the tx from the cx3 would be good but thats only aguess cause I'm pretty new to this hobby and know near nothing about tx. Good question though.
luvdisstuff is offline Find More Posts by luvdisstuff
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:48 AM
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capadotia
Hey! Thanks for this great advice. My MCX flew well but had developed an annoying TBE. I just accepted that the shaft must be bent and left it at that - waiting until I broke the plastic head to justify a new shaft.

Well, I tried tightening the pinch screw at the top slightly and it got rid of the TBE swirl. I would have never thought that tightening the screw would do anything but hurt performance.

Thanks for posting this.
Is there a way to fix this pinch screw at this setting by using Loctite or glue of some sort? Obviously over time this will wear out...
deswong is offline Find More Posts by deswong
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:21 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdueaero
what is the best transmitter to get for this bird (I would like one that I could use as I advance into other helicopters as well)?
I use the Spektrum DX6i, which is excellent value IMO. 'Best' would probably be a DX7se, but that's a whole lot more money.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
I use the Spektrum DX6i, which is excellent value IMO. 'Best' would probably be a DX7se, but that's a whole lot more money.
Agreed. The extra channel on the DX7 will be useful for things like switchable on-board controllers, etc.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Apr 01, 2009, 09:30 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,078 Posts
Huey Body - success!

For those of you that have been following this thread for a while, you may have seen the Huey body I got from Mike (page 8), how I painted it and ultimately found it too heavy to fly well. I got to thinking about possible problems and solutions. Even when I moved the battery forward, I had to add a lot of forward trim, all there was, and still had to add some forward stick in flight. I thought this might add a lot of stress to the motors and gyros. I moved the body forward on the airframe, and re-routed the power plug to allow the battery to be moved more forward. Now it was balancing well.

I fired up the throttle, and now have good, controlled flight! It's not as responsive, spins are much slower, but the dampening makes it more scale like, and I really like how it looks in the air. The next step is more weight reduction. I'm not using the battery holder, so that can be cut off, and think a lighter flybar might be in the works too.
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Apr 02, 2009, 04:15 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
this was the first I heard of this but it sounded good . one of the members at helifreak uses a 6v lantern battery connected to the stock charger and gets quite a few lipo charges way more than 4 AA's and cost about the same. I guess alligator clips soldered to a length of wire would do the job.
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:16 AM
Wausau, WI
Joined Mar 2009
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetskeeter
this was the first I heard of this but it sounded good . one of the members at helifreak uses a 6v lantern battery connected to the stock charger and gets quite a few lipo charges way more than 4 AA's and cost about the same. I guess alligator clips soldered to a length of wire would do the job.
I'd much rather plug it into the wall like I have done than use ANY batteries in the charger.
MicroJago is offline Find More Posts by MicroJago
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:55 AM
Livingston NJ
Joined Jan 2009
251 Posts
heat sink

I have 2 heat sinks designed for the 5g6-1 but i hate that copter and got rid of it cause it just kept burning up motors and mine was a pos. Can I wrap them around the motors?anybody have any ideas?
Old Apr 02, 2009, 11:01 AM
Wausau, WI
Joined Mar 2009
633 Posts
No point, MCX motors don't run hot
MicroJago is offline Find More Posts by MicroJago
Old Apr 03, 2009, 05:16 AM
Livingston NJ
Joined Jan 2009
251 Posts
Thanks jago. I didnt think of that. How does the flybar mod work with mia weigts and 4g paddles. Looking for a small imcrease in forward flight.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:29 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capadotia

Thanks for posting this.
Today I added weight to the flybar, and in conjunction with the above pinch friction on the pivot, I now have and extremely solid hover. My mCX has over 60 flying hours with all original drive components. I took a 4 inch length of small diameter solder (0.032) and spiral wound the flybar up against inside edge of the existing weights. This added additional mass and inertia to the flybar and has the effect of stabilizing the hover and eliminating TBE. A secondary benefit is that the flight controls for roll and pitch are more responsive. With weighted flybar, the pinch friction is not so sensitive - haven't had to readjust last 30 flights. Machine remains incredibly stable in hover and control inputs are improved over stock configuration. See my complete post #3365 in Micro Blade mCX from Eflite page 225 - Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:22 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,078 Posts
Quote:
Today I added weight to the flybar, and in conjunction with the above pinch friction on the pivot, I now have and extremely solid hover....Machine remains incredibly stable in hover and control inputs are improved over stock configuration.
More flybar weight gives you more stability and better hovering, but more stability usually means less maneuverability. You say you're getting MORE response? That doesn't sound right. The extra weight should make the heli LESS responsive. When I got my E-Sky Lama, one of the most recommended mods was reducing the flybar weight for better response.

I probably have over 100 flight on my mCX, and besides the Huey body, it's box stock. My living room is pretty small, so the forward speed is fine, and the stability and response is just fine stock. If I lived in a bigger space, or went to the golf dome more often, I might want to change that.

Quote:
See my complete post #3365 in Micro Blade mCX from Eflite page 225 - Piper J3
Why don't you make it easy on us and post a link?
Angelo is online now Find More Posts by Angelo