HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2009, 01:27 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
Racer

That's a nice clear review well done and you heli looks great too . What is the weight in with the new body ?

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:41 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Possible Solution for mCX Center Shaft Bending Problem...

I have found 100 pcs of hardened drill rod blanks that are .047 dia. x 3.75 L ground perfectly straight which can be used for mCX center shaft. Center post of heli will have to drilled 0.007 oversize for new shaft - original center shaft is 0.040 dia. The next step is to either adapt original mCX plastic hub or source an aluminum or plastic after-market hub to adapt to new shaft. As fff indicates, it may be difficult to disassemble original mCX center shaft to save plastic hub. Here is current thinking… I have the hardened shafts in-hand. Is there someone in the mCX fraternity that can injection mold a new plastic hub or CNC an aluminum hub? Does anyone have access to rapid prototyping equipment? Maybe we can do a joint effort and end up with a stronger lightweight design. Anyone interested should advise thoughts on how to accomplish this task.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Anyone know where I can get aluminum hub???

Does anyone know where I can get aluminum hub that is out-of-stock at Helihobby?

Lightning Power CNC Aluminum Hub for Blade MCX $14.99 PART#LP-U0101

This is the CNC aluminum rotor hub for the Blade MCX designed by Lightning Power as a drop in replacement. This solves a problem some have experienced with the stock plastic rotor hub breaking with the slightest of impact on this otherwise robust little helicopter. The CNC aluminum rotor hub is a perfect addition for MCX enthusiasts. This is one of many innovative solutions for the MCX by Lightning Power.
Last edited by Piper J3; Mar 05, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:07 PM
Wausau, WI
Joined Mar 2009
633 Posts
Can anybody with the MIA kit or just the carbon canopy answer a quick question?

Is the carbon canopy any more durable than the stock one? I know it's not real carbon fiber, but is it thicker or more rigid at all? I already have a few dents in my stock canopy after my first day of flying.
MicroJago is offline Find More Posts by MicroJago
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:47 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroJago
Can anybody with the MIA kit or just the carbon canopy answer a quick question?

Is the carbon canopy any more durable than the stock one? I know it's not real carbon fiber, but is it thicker or more rigid at all? I already have a few dents in my stock canopy after my first day of flying.
It is vacuum-formed just like the stock. Same weight of sheet plastic. I can't say whether or not it is signifcantly stronger. It is smaller, and therefore a little lighter.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 05, 2009, 08:54 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3
Does anyone know where I can get aluminum hub that is out-of-stock at Helihobby?

Lightning Power CNC Aluminum Hub for Blade MCX $14.99 PART#LP-U0101

This is the CNC aluminum rotor hub for the Blade MCX designed by Lightning Power as a drop in replacement. This solves a problem some have experienced with the stock plastic rotor hub breaking with the slightest of impact on this otherwise robust little helicopter. The CNC aluminum rotor hub is a perfect addition for MCX enthusiasts. This is one of many innovative solutions for the MCX by Lightning Power.
Not the same one, but New Era Models also makes one, although theirs is 5 bucks more:
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9814

It is actually a split design for ease of seating the flybar with what looks like nylon screws for fixing.
bradleyd is offline Find More Posts by bradleyd
Old Mar 07, 2009, 02:24 PM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
Just received a couple of 'aluminum' headed inner shaft from ebay. It is part number MCX40X06 by www.xspede.com. Seems identical to pic posted by Piper J3
Highly unrecommended !!!! Very difficult to fit, loads of TBE and vibration. Tried both of them to be sure and at the end I need another flybar and outer shaft. Spent 30$ on cr*p.

Found out that I actually bought 2 of these yet at 15$ each. http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/sear...CX40X06&got=no
Yet not worthwhile even if they were free!!
Skyliner65 is offline Find More Posts by Skyliner65
Last edited by Skyliner65; Mar 07, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Skyliner65 Just received a couple of 'aluminum' headed inner shaft from ebay. It is part number MCX40X06 by www.xspede.com. Seems identical to pic posted by Piper J3
Highly unrecommended !!!! Very difficult to fit, loads of TBE and vibration. Tried both of them to be sure and at the end I need another flybar and outer shaft. Spent 30$ on cr*p.

This forum tells me you are 7878 km away from me. At first I thought maybe I'd drive over and pick up your aluminum hub center shafts, but alas, distance is a little too great... I still think the aluminum hub with my hardened slightly oversize shaft will work. Maybe someone who has similar experience as Skyliner65 will be willing to donate an aluminum hub for experiment. PM me if interested in collaborated effort.
Last edited by Piper J3; Mar 07, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 12:16 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the good words Fanfold and Piper. We will keep working on Innovative products and listening to all you have to say about the hobby. Keep the suggestions rolling and we'll keep delivering all we can for you.
LightningPower is offline Find More Posts by LightningPower
Old Mar 08, 2009, 09:45 AM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3
[B]

This forum tells me you are 7878 km away from me. At first I thought maybe I'd drive over and pick up your aluminum hub center shafts, but alas, distance is a little too great... I still think the aluminum hub with my hardened slightly oversize shaft will work. Maybe someone who has similar experience as Skyliner65 will be willing to donate an aluminum hub for experiment. PM me if interested in collaborated effort.
Very true, yet the hubs arrived from the US so should not be very far from you. Driving here could take a while yet you are more than welcome.

The shaft hole could be widened due to hub made in aluminum.
The part where the little screw is could be removed as I cannot see how the flybar could separate. Hub head is very strong compared to the flybar, so chances are that the flybar would snap in a collision.
Skyliner65 is offline Find More Posts by Skyliner65
Old Mar 08, 2009, 10:46 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,027 Posts
MD 500 body weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden
Racer

That's a nice clear review well done and you heli looks great too . What is the weight in with the new body ?
I finally got a micro scale, and weighed the Huey body. It came out to 5.3 grams. Then I weighed the stock body, tail fin and boom (all of which were removed when I put the Huey body on). 2.1 grams. So the difference was a grand total of 3.2 grams. Doesn't sound like much, but rtf the mCX is only 25.8 grams, and that 3.2 extra grams takes a great flying sport heli and turns it into a slow response, 40 seconds of airtime machine, with the gyro losing all function the last 15 seconds or so.

The fact that the MD500 body has the color molded in should really help, I think the paint is what did my Huey in, but still want to know the weight difference with the MD500 mod.

I wonder if I can get 3 grams out of the frame somehow...
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Mar 08, 2009, 10:58 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
I wonder if there is more to it than just weight.

My Hillercopter body weighs 2.1 gram and the flight characteristics and duration are unchanged.

The Huey body weight 1.7 grams and the flight duration is down from 9 minutes to 6.5 . The model is much less stable in the ground effect

My best guess as to why is that the wider Huey body disturbs the rotor downwash more making it turbulent as well as adding more drag. This put the hovering current up and the turbulence made the ground effect less predictable

Any better ideas ?

I've gone back to the standard canopy the Hiller is unpleasant to look at and the Huey is unpleasant to fly

Regards

Terry
Old Mar 08, 2009, 11:42 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,027 Posts
Terry -

Interesting thoughts, they make a certain amount of sense. I had to move the battery WAY forward to get it to balance, even then I had to put a lot of forward trim in, that probably isn't helping, either.

How in the world did you get a Huey in at 1.7 grams? That's lighter than the stock sport body!

Where did you get the Hiller? Do you have a photo? I'd like to see it.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Mar 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,268 Posts
Improvement for Center Shaft

Skyliner65
The shaft hole could be widened due to hub made in aluminum.
The part where the little screw is could be removed as I cannot see how the flybar could separate. Hub head is very strong compared to the flybar, so chances are that the flybar would snap in a collision.

Based on your experience I am leaning away from aluminum hub in preference of plastic. I think now I will try to remove shaft from stock plastic hub or find source for making new plastic hub for the hardened shafts I have on hand. It would be great if we can find someone who can do prototype plastic injection mold.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
The huey is a paper one from the fiddlers green plan printed at 80% on standard paper.
The Hillercopter is from the same source but printed out at 120% and widened . I think its too big and maybe 110% would be better. here is a picture of the brute. Oh and the weight included the 0.6gr nose weight added to keep the gyro happy

Terry