Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
Both feet all the way
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
209 Posts
I have too much fun with mine to count but it is definitely a solid little bird.
russdee is offline Find More Posts by russdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
pittsburgh pa.
Joined Feb 2004
333 Posts
hi, can you guys hear your servos working, did not pay attention at first but now that i am flying alot better i can hear the servos moving when i fly side ways forward and reverse, and i must say this is a tough little heli love it, learning on it before i break out the lama v3. thanks cleanair
cleanair is offline Find More Posts by cleanair
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
Both feet all the way
Joined Feb 2009
209 Posts
Yes you definitley know the servos are working when you actuate them. I originally bought a CX2 but it was too much to learn on in a limited indoors space so went an picked up the MCX BNF. Best move I could have made. The wife actually appreciated it since there were no more incidents with the furniture .
Love flying it. I shortened the fly-bar on mine but it will occasionally do the wounded bird dance if I get too aggressive on the sticks.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3 Posts
Saw a CNC rotor head for the MCX posted earlier.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/blade_...l#PARTLP-U0101 I came across... a little cheaper too.

Had my MCX for a few days now and I'm having a ball with it.
Going to do the swash mod with the long screws and see if I can get this cranking like a few others have.
HD_Chop is offline Find More Posts by HD_Chop
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
Both feet all the way
Joined Feb 2009
209 Posts
Let us know how that goes. I have been thinking of trying it myself.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:59 PM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
My first post on this great forum. I've got 2 mcx helis yet grounded awaiting that infamous inner shaft. Ordered 20 as in both cases I broke the shaft head after a couple of days. In the meantime I'm leaving one stock and modding the 2 nd, which was not flying very well from the start. What I hate most is TBE, which developed on both helis after a couple of crashes. Swashplate tends to separate so I've CA ed the upper to the lower half.

Implemented MODS.
5 in 1 tilted by cutting mainframe attachment at an angle
Flybar shortened by cutting the plastic ends
Canopy trimmed
Some holes drilled in mainframe (weight reduction process)
Removed some weight from gears.
Charger "mod". Turned potentiometer full CCW to obtain 1C (100mA)

MODS considered
Tail boom shortening
Swashplate mod. Would prefer to shorten lower arms yet many suggest extending upper ones.
Soldering wires directly on 5 in 1 (to motors)

As soon as I get the inner shaft I will start on more mods. BTW I've done nothing new, actually copied mods posted on this forum.... so thanks to all !!!!
Skyliner65 is offline Find More Posts by Skyliner65
Last edited by Skyliner65; Mar 01, 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
My TBE came from the INNER shaft being bent.
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2009, 05:40 PM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
Thanks paintz2007. Hope these inner shafts arrive asap. Also ordered a couple of third party aluminum ones from the US
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
What is TBE? And thats a great idea for lightening the gears i may try that.
stargazer7467 is offline Find More Posts by stargazer7467
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:30 PM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
TBE is short for Toilet bowl effect. This means that the heli, whilst maintaining same heading, flies in a circular pattern horizontally.

Careful on the gears. In practice benefit is marginal,yet if you like modding go ahead. Care should be taken not to bend the gear whilst cutting. A dremel tool can be then used for sanding down. Research before you attempt mods. Good luck
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:31 PM
Livingston NJ
Joined Jan 2009
251 Posts
holy moly

What an awesome thread. I am new and own 2 mcx's and a 5g6-1. I have had to do alot of work in a short time and am learning much. I wish I found this thread sooner it would have made life a little easier. You need to bring a tweezer and a magnifying glass to any party with an mcx, but the little things are a blast. I flew mine in the mall with my daughter and people would just stop and watch the thing float around. The thing i did not see were instructions on the gitd conversion. I have replaced the flybar hub but the lower stuff looks complicated. Any tips?
luvdisstuff is offline Find More Posts by luvdisstuff
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:02 PM
Malta
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisstuff
What an awesome thread. I am new and own 2 mcx's and a 5g6-1. I have had to do alot of work in a short time and am learning much. I wish I found this thread sooner it would have made life a little easier. You need to bring a tweezer and a magnifying glass to any party with an mcx, but the little things are a blast. I flew mine in the mall with my daughter and people would just stop and watch the thing float around. The thing i did not see were instructions on the gitd conversion. I have replaced the flybar hub but the lower stuff looks complicated. Any tips?
Really is awesome!! I discovered it about a week ago and posted my first posts yesterday. I made quite a fool of myself thinking I had solved a charger issue.... sorry

Best thing to do IMHO when you start dismantling is to take photos so you can keep track of how to get it back in one piece again.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,353 Posts
MD500E body in Blue from MIA

Here is my build using micro-flight.com's body kit with a little decal customization added. I've also put together a "how to" for the kit in the review of it on the Toolbox to assist others in the assembly. You can find the complete review using this link -->MIA Review<--
Mario has a really nice kit!
===================
www.mctoolbox.no-ip.net
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Mar 03, 2009, 11:39 AM
Joined Oct 2007
573 Posts
wow.. looks very pretty...

if you can find a way to make the top rotor disappear... maybe by painting the top rotors white, it'll look more realistic in flight!
dendog220 is offline Find More Posts by dendog220
Old Mar 03, 2009, 12:24 PM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Dec 2008
237 Posts
Put POLICE on the tail and you REALLY have a mCX 3. I actually thought "Why is someone posting about a cx3 here" before I read. Nice!
Dealwagon is offline Find More Posts by Dealwagon