HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:24 PM
Still a n00b.
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
I just finished installing a multi colored tail light on mine. The colors and blinking pattern tell me what the state of the battery is in. Warning me when it is time to land. haha. I love it. Lee
Don't just tease us like that, man!

Details!

Pictures!

Schematics!!

The rabid, howling hordes wanna know!

grnbrg.
grnbrg is offline Find More Posts by grnbrg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:32 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
Ok, bro, easy there. haha. The led came out of a bladerunner series heli that a frind bought me at "frys" I don't know what kind it was. Sorry about that. But the voltage worked out perfectly. I just clipped the battery wires, stripped them, soldered them back together with the wire to the led. Ran it down the tail boom, and taped to the top of the tail. I will post pics, and maybe a vid, soon. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:44 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
ok here are two pics. video to follow

Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
here is the vid

mcxledmovie (7 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:11 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined May 2008
35 Posts
Hello,

I purchased a new mCX. The thing is awesome!! I've been reading through this whole thread but thought I'd ask this question:

Is there a list of mods that have been verified to improve flight performance?

Jason
jcardona is offline Find More Posts by jcardona
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:08 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2009
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrinc1
I made several mods , swash ball extended , pcb angled, Lighted everything Flybar , bound to lpd5000 tx. Now when I fly there is more movement in all directions . My question is now when I'm flying and doing say figure eights when I max FF stick and max Cyclic stick , and add rudder to do high speed figure eights while feeding throttle to maintain altitude the heli will drop out of the air and begin to fall this happens in both directions is this fixable with say a DX7 or a mod or have I maxed out the capabilities of the heli and the laws of gravity and coaxial are taking over and reached there limits. Thanks so much for the info. TD
I've flown outside when there was no wind and have gotten my MCX in a situation where it was going forward so fast and leaning over so much that it was behaving like a single rotor heli. It lost altitude and headed straight for the ground. I had the both sticks full forward, I guess I needed to pull back on the cyclic to pull it out of the dive. It crashed and the teeth on the little plastic servos got a little messed up, but I straighten them out and she's (almost) as good as new. The only mod I've done so far is shortening the flybar. Man, it can do some really fast banked figure 8's now.
Bluerocktj is offline Find More Posts by Bluerocktj
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:54 AM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Dec 2008
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerocktj
I've flown outside when there was no wind and have gotten my MCX in a situation where it was going forward so fast and leaning over so much that it was behaving like a single rotor heli. It lost altitude and headed straight for the ground. I had the both sticks full forward, I guess I needed to pull back on the cyclic to pull it out of the dive. It crashed and the teeth on the little plastic servos got a little messed up, but I straighten them out and she's (almost) as good as new. The only mod I've done so far is shortening the flybar. Man, it can do some really fast banked figure 8's now.
Do you have any pics of how you modded the flybar?
Dealwagon is offline Find More Posts by Dealwagon
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2001
65 Posts
Jcardona,

I can verify that the swash ball extension by RFpro (post 1005 I think) using spare blade screws works great. Much faster even without changing the flybar, though I've only flown it in a small room so I'm constantly changing direction. Well worth the few minutes. Also read the original version by Sasha26 -- it gives a way to adjust lower blade tracking, too.
doodle is offline Find More Posts by doodle
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
hi, this subject has probably been discussed here but I can't seem to locate it. Is it possible to mod the mcx charger so that it can be plugged in the wall. would a 110vac to 6vdc transformer with the leads soldered to the + and - terminals of the battery clips work? I guess jacks could be installed on the charger case so you could use either AA's or plug in transformer jacks.
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:12 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetskeeter
hi, this subject has probably been discussed here but I can't seem to locate it. Is it possible to mod the mcx charger so that it can be plugged in the wall. would a 110vac to 6vdc transformer with the leads soldered to the + and - terminals of the battery clips work? I guess jacks could be installed on the charger case so you could use either AA's or plug in transformer jacks.
Yes it will work. Its been said you need to add a diode for the light to work, but i know people that didn't use a diode and the light worked fine... its possible the charger was changed at some point....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 04, 2009, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
Quote:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955310

found it
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:28 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2009
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealwagon
Do you have any pics of how you modded the flybar?

It's the same mod that's in post #277 with Walkera 4#3 flybar paddles, connectors, and red annodized flybar weights from MIA.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...931553&page=19

My flybar is currently 4-3/8" long tip to tip. It was a little longer before, but 3/16" of one end sheared off in a crash and I had to cut the other end off to match. This time I put some CA on the ends and let them dry before I put the paddles back on. Hopefully that will keep the CF rod from splintering and shearing off again. There's some TBE in a hover, so I'll probably cut down my spare flybar to make a new longer short one. I probably need new upper and lower blades too. It calms down after a little coaxing though. Forward speed is still stock, but she turns and banks very quickly. I can get it going super fast in a turn (either direction), and then go straight fast forward with it's nose pointing down. I want to do the swash plate mod next to get more forward speed!

Dennis
Bluerocktj is offline Find More Posts by Bluerocktj
Old Feb 04, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Jetskeeter,

I've now put all the mods/links up on the Toolbox to make it easier to locate them all. Hope the info helps
================
www.mctoolbox.no-ip.net
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Feb 05, 2009, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
Cooling Motor mod??

Here is an interesting idea, and it did seem to help the older Dragonfly heli: Color the pager motors with a marker for cooling. Check this post out, and its related link for more info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=325
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:29 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX208
Jetskeeter,

I've now put all the mods/links up on the Toolbox to make it easier to locate them all. Hope the info helps
================
www.mctoolbox.no-ip.net

Thanks. great info. I understand that a lipo charger for the mcx lipos is in the production stage that allows the user to use either a 12vdc wall wart or an 11.1v 3s lipo. that sounds cool.