HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:33 PM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Dec 2008
239 Posts
Is the best flybar mod to just clip the weights off and get a couple of retaining collars to replace them?

How do you cut the cf?

Also won't this eliminate strikes and not hinder flight too much?
Dealwagon is offline Find More Posts by Dealwagon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjennings

Heres the MIA 500 body painted OD green, now if i had some stickers and figure out how to get the LG to stay in place.
Great paint job color. Later on tonight I will post some new US Army stickers that you can use, we also did some new variations of the MIA MD500E with various other decal stickers. Stay tuned. Thank you.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
Nice Guys finish Last
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
Thanks Angelo Makes sence

On further inspection I noticed small nicks on lower blades from flybar I think to prove the therory. To prove this I took Racing Tire Chaulk Orange and colored ends of flybar and flew for 4 minutes nothing crazy just normal flying landed checked new lower blades nothing. Next I threw the thing around maxing out FF with full cyclic and feeding rudder sure enough death roll fell out the air and sure enough orange chaulk on lower blades. I guess this is all this little guy can take . My current flybar clipped weighted ends off. I guess it's true what they say rider till she bucks or don't ride at all LOL.
tdrinc1 is offline Find More Posts by tdrinc1
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Dec 2008
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrinc1
On further inspection I noticed small nicks on lower blades from flybar I think to prove the therory. To prove this I took Racing Tire Chaulk Orange and colored ends of flybar and flew for 4 minutes nothing crazy just normal flying landed checked new lower blades nothing. Next I threw the thing around maxing out FF with full cyclic and feeding rudder sure enough death roll fell out the air and sure enough orange chaulk on lower blades. I guess this is all this little guy can take . My current flybar clipped weighted ends off. I guess it's true what they say rider till she bucks or don't ride at all LOL.
So yours still hits with a shortened flybar? How short is is?
Dealwagon is offline Find More Posts by Dealwagon
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:33 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealwagon
Is the best flybar mod to just clip the weights off and get a couple of retaining collars to replace them?

How do you cut the cf?

Also won't this eliminate strikes and not hinder flight too much?
The problem with a shorter flybar is it takes more weight to provide the same level of gyroscopic (centripetal) forces to stabilize the upper blade. More weight means . . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
A lighter flybar makes a snappier heli.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jan 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
Kingsport TN
Joined Dec 2008
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Great paint job color. Later on tonight I will post some new US Army stickers that you can use, we also did some new variations of the MIA MD500E with various other decal stickers. Stay tuned. Thank you.
You should look in to doing a OD green kit with the stickers, bet it would sell real well.
Rjennings is offline Find More Posts by Rjennings
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjennings
You should look in to doing a OD green kit with the stickers, bet it would sell real well.

Actually there will be two new colors added to the MIA canopies and full bodies for palm size helicopters. One of them is not quite OD green but something very close to army colors with army details.

Here are some preliminary shots of some of the decal stickers from a new MIA Decal Sheet (Available soon) applied to various MIA MD500E bodies-shells.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:30 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I've been quickly scanning through this thread (and others) about rechargeable batteries for the mcx charger. I am already tired of buying batteries for my charger. Can someone tell me what rechargeable batteries are good for the charger? I would love to hear of a good place to buy some good AA rechargeable batteries in bulk also (20 or so). Thanks for the help.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,079 Posts
Problem with Huey

Well, I finished the Huey body and got it mounted. I was pretty happy, IMHO I think it looks pretty good.

The I went to fly it. The first time, it barely got off the ground and spun when it did. I examined it, and the links had fallen out of the link guides when I re-assembled the head (I went against Mike's recommendation of leaving the top half of the body unglued to shoehorn it in, so I have to take the rotors off to mount the body) I fixed this and put the original body on, and it worked fine.

I just got a Tenergy 130ma battery and tried that with the Huey body. It flies, but takes a lot of throttle, 3/4 or more. It's less responsive, but i could live with that, it's more scale like. But after a minute, or less, it started wandering around on yaw. I think the higher motor speed/stress is causing a heat build up, causing the gyro to drift. The yaw problems get worse, then power goes down, and I'm landing with only a minute or so of flight.

I switched back to the stock body, put the same battery back in (no re-charge), and flew for another 4 minutes! The nimble performance was back, too.

I flew this with the unpainted Huey body when I first got it, and it flew fine. I guess, despite trying to keep the paint as thin as possible, the paint has made it too heavy. I would have never thought that paint would add that much weight. Don't know what I'll do, there's really nowhere to save any more weight. Maybe I'll get that Walkera 3#4, that's what this body was originally meant for.

Maybe vacu-forming this in color sheet and just cutting out the windows is the way to go.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:58 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Well, I finished the Huey body and got it mounted. I was pretty happy, IMHO I think it looks pretty good.

The I went to fly it. The first time, it barely got off the ground and spun when it did. I examined it, and the links had fallen out of the link guides when I re-assembled the head (I went against Mike's recommendation of leaving the top half of the body unglued to shoehorn it in, so I have to take the rotors off to mount the body) I fixed this and put the original body on, and it worked fine.

I just got a Tenergy 130ma battery and tried that with the Huey body. It flies, but takes a lot of throttle, 3/4 or more. It's less responsive, but i could live with that, it's more scale like. But after a minute, or less, it started wandering around on yaw. I think the higher motor speed/stress is causing a heat build up, causing the gyro to drift. The yaw problems get worse, then power goes down, and I'm landing with only a minute or so of flight.

I switched back to the stock body, put the same battery back in (no re-charge), and flew for another 4 minutes! The nimble performance was back, too.

I flew this with the unpainted Huey body when I first got it, and it flew fine. I guess, despite trying to keep the paint as thin as possible, the paint has made it too heavy. I would have never thought that paint would add that much weight. Don't know what I'll do, there's really nowhere to save any more weight. Maybe I'll get that Walkera 3#4, that's what this body was originally meant for.

Maybe vacu-forming this in color sheet and just cutting out the windows is the way to go.
Could you possibly dye the material?
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Jan 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
Micro Addict!!!
Vale of Shadows, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Looks great!

You might try cutting out the side windows.

You'll lose some weight and allow for better cooling.
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo

Enamel or acrylics?
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:52 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,079 Posts
Big Guy - Dyeing is a possibilty. I was thinking of dyeing it a window tint shade, to darken the windows, then paint over, but just dyeing for color might be a way to go. Two possible problems, the dye would probably be transparent, and the windows would also be dyed.

Alpha Wolf - I would hate to cut out the windows and just leave holes, but it would lighten it up and also improve cooling. I'll have to consider this.

Rick - yep, I was using spray enamel. Guess I'll have to buy an airbrush. Acrylic really is lighter, isn't it?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post any changes I try.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:02 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,133 Posts
I just finished installing a multi colored tail light on mine. The colors and blinking pattern tell me what the state of the battery is in. Warning me when it is time to land. haha. I love it. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy